Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 18-10-2021, 07:31 PM
PureEvil760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioma
These days there is a lot of talk about 'the matrix', and it seems everyone has an adamant opinion about everything.

How do you know what is 'real'? What is 'reality' to you? Discuss.

'What is reality to you?' This question makes no sense. Reality does not change from person to person. Here's how you know what is real with one simple question: Can it comfortably exist for eternity?
Old 19-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Knower

For the general public, reality/real is physical reality, which is real. Our society still considers the physical to be all that exists, as it has from the time of Galileo, and his trouble with the Catholic Church causing the Great Schism between science and religion, still going on now.

Greater Reality, Higher Reality, Reality, and Real, all capitalized words, are that which does not change. Higher Self is the area of the soul residing in Higher Reality, or any other name for it.

To me, reality and real, all lower case, are the physical, that which changes. This is for me true, correct, and absolute, and always will be so. For me, the self resides in reality, the physical. I don't believe the physical is all that exists, but I don't have any experiential proof of anything more, so I don't really know for sure.

I can defer to the use of "real" in SF, but what about other newbies who come here? Are we going to have to explain it to them, ad infinitum? And at times be tripped up with the meaning of "real," as just happened in the post above?

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to say that the Higher Self resides in Greater Reality, or Higher Reality, or Reality, or the Real, that which does not change? And self, who might or might not consider the physical to be all that exists, resides in reality, or the real, that which changes?

JustASimpleGuy did similar with self and Self, which made it very clear, easy to understand.

I'm not going to stubbornly insist that everyone on SF do this, but know this: my definition of real for myself will not change; I'll be pretending.

One more thing: I'm in the U.S.A. I realize SF is based in the UK, so just to be sure, is what I said about the definition of "real" to the general public the same in the UK as the U.S.A.?

Lastly, I feel like there are a few things I haven't thought of here, but I cannot pin them down. You cannot think of what you don't know you don't know.

JoeColo
Old 19-10-2021, 05:27 PM
Master

reality

As long as one understand what's being conveyed , the words used may mean little bcos in communication 'spirit' is important than 'letters'. I do understand if there is standardization of words and meaning , it is better . But considering the diverse background people come from , that may be difficult. So I always looks for clarificatory notes , surrounding factors ,explanations etc to really understand what others mean .

On reality - sustainability and ubiquity would be 2 yardsticks to determine whether anything is real or not (spiritually and not physically) .
Old 25-10-2021, 08:27 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureEvil760
This question makes no sense. Reality does not change from person to person.
According to Donald Hoffman and neuroscience, the objective reality is subjective and while your reality might be real to you, my reality is real to me and they are both different. Although people can agree on certain points, everybody's reality is different.
Old 25-10-2021, 09:18 AM
Administrator
I would have to agree with Greenslade

Namaste