Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 15-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Caityaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton
Either way I think if a human kills an animal humanely and intends on using all of it, it's all right to eat meat. On top of that, meat has a lot of benefits that plants don't have, and even our teeth show that we're omnivorous. As the saying goes, "life eats life," so we're eating another soul's body no matter what we eat.

How about reversing your thought? Would it be ok if animals killed the human babies with an intent to eat it all and for survival only, just like humans eat chickens and calves? I know I would have big problems with giving up my son or daughter(I don't have any now, but if I did) and give it to an animal for food. Why should the animals think any different? Why is it that humans often are ready to eat whatever meat at the market, but would probably refuse to eat their pet? Isn't it out of compassion for our pet we won't eat it? And if so, maybe we need to gain more compassion towards all creatures?

Also, I think it's not just about what to eat, it's also about the treatment of the animal. Did you ever see the documentary Earthlings? This was one of the big factors that made me choose to go vegetarian five years ago. You can view it here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2964130308142#

As far as being a Krishna-devotee, all of them that I have met are vegetarians. I think if it's necessary to become a vegetarian to worship Krishna, this will grow on you and come natural to you when you are ready for it. Just be honest, loving and sincere with God at the state you are now and the next steps towards coming closer to God will come naturally. That's my experience, atleast.

Be in love...Hare Krishna!
/C
Old 15-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Scibat

Having gone to several dietitians and nutritionists for my various health problems, all of them have told me that humans need a certain amount of animal protein for optimal health.

Most tell me lean fish or chicken is the best, you CAN get protein from plants but there are certain oils and vitamins that plant protein lacks. From a strictly health perspective, humans should eat a little meat.

As for souls and spiritual matters, all I can say is that humans have been eating meat since the stone age. Our bodies have adapted and evolved to bite, chew and digest meat -- I seriously doubt the metaphysical powers that be will damn us for eating what we are naturally and biologically designed to.

In fact the word "vegetarian" didn't even pop up until the 1800's and the word Vegan didn't appear until the mid 1940's.

As for Hinduism: Hindus have to be careful about food because what they eat decides physical wellbeing and mental makeup. Eating animal meat or heavy food may lead to the strengthening of animal qualities and lethargic nature in us. One belief suggests that killing innocent and helpless animals for the purpose of satiating hunger is bad karma with harmful consequences. However, not all Hindus avoid eating meat and Hindu law books do not prohibit the eating of meat in general, but only certain types of meat.
Old 15-04-2011, 05:29 PM
tragblack

Quote:
The reason I'm bringing this up is because I want to know if it's okay to call yourself a Hindu, or a follower of Krishna, and lead a spiritual life, but still eat meat.

You can call yourself whatever you like, and continue to do whatever you like. You will find many differing opinions on the matter, but not a single one of them is as important as how you truly feel.

Quote:
I want to be a knowledgeable, spiritual person and surrender to God, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss me as sinful or ignorant just because of what I eat.

I don't think so, either. I have had many spiritual experiences and my psychic abilities are getting stronger year-by-year. I eat meat-- not regularly or daily, but I do. What I think affects my state of mind more is when I don't eat mindfully: when I gobble down food without hardly chewing, not savoring the gift of life, but rather chomping it like an animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrendertotheflow
However, these days meat is wasted, and so much of it accumulates that we are in one way or another, just killing these animals and throwing them in trash!

This is my only problem with the meat industry-- it is how the animals are treated and the large amount of waste and disease.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:43 PM
surrendertotheflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
And I have created you?

what??
huh???
Old 16-04-2011, 03:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caityaka
How about reversing your thought? Would it be ok if animals killed the human babies with an intent to eat it all and for survival only, just like humans eat chickens and calves? I know I would have big problems with giving up my son or daughter(I don't have any now, but if I did) and give it to an animal for food. Why should the animals think any different? Why is it that humans often are ready to eat whatever meat at the market, but would probably refuse to eat their pet? Isn't it out of compassion for our pet we won't eat it? And if so, maybe we need to gain more compassion towards all creatures?

Also, I think it's not just about what to eat, it's also about the treatment of the animal. Did you ever see the documentary Earthlings? This was one of the big factors that made me choose to go vegetarian five years ago. You can view it here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2964130308142#

As far as being a Krishna-devotee, all of them that I have met are vegetarians. I think if it's necessary to become a vegetarian to worship Krishna, this will grow on you and come natural to you when you are ready for it. Just be honest, loving and sincere with God at the state you are now and the next steps towards coming closer to God will come naturally. That's my experience, atleast.

Be in love...Hare Krishna!
/C

Yes it would be ok....that's the game of survival. And frankly given the chance animal WILL eat humans, baby or otherwise. On the other side of that, they run up against the fact that we humans are the undisputed masters of the game of survival (for the time being anyway) and that would never happen. Do you think cattle go willingly to the slaughter? It is forced, and there is no animal capable of forcing us into that. We win, pure and simple....and a lot of people feel guilty about that, but that's the game. Kill or be killed. We put a pretty face on it and call it civilization but the game remains unchanged.
Old 16-04-2011, 03:29 AM
surrendertotheflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by athribiristan
Yes it would be ok....that's the game of survival. And frankly given the chance animal WILL eat humans, baby or otherwise. On the other side of that, they run up against the fact that we humans are the undisputed masters of the game of survival (for the time being anyway) and that would never happen. Do you think cattle go willingly to the slaughter? It is forced, and there is no animal capable of forcing us into that. We win, pure and simple....and a lot of people feel guilty about that, but that's the game. Kill or be killed. We put a pretty face on it and call it civilization but the game remains unchanged.

I agree. I'm sure the wildebeest is just as upset as you would be when the lion gets her baby
Old 16-04-2011, 03:37 AM
Guide
Quote:

Most animals we eat are herbivores, they won't eat us.
And so what if we have more power than them?
Most men are stronger than women. So that justifies
a man beating a woman. The abuser wins, if he didn't beat her
she would end up beating him. That's just the game.
(You see the flawed logic in that,right?)

What you said sounds very close to the way Hitler thought.
“He who does not possess power loses the right to life,”
-Adolf Hitler
Old 16-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Hi, I'm really looking for advice about meat-eating, I don't have anyone else to ask.
I love meat, but I love animals too. I think that animals being killed for meat is the same as eating plants; they both have a soul, and their consciousness is "asleep." They feel pain but we don't know if plants do too, so I don't think it's fair to say we can only eat plants. Either way I think if a human kills an animal humanely and intends on using all of it, it's all right to eat meat. On top of that, meat has a lot of benefits that plants don't have, and even our teeth show that we're omnivorous. As the saying goes, "life eats life," so we're eating another soul's body no matter what we eat.
The reason I'm bringing this up is because I want to know if it's okay to call yourself a Hindu, or a follower of Krishna, and lead a spiritual life, but still eat meat. I want to be a knowledgeable, spiritual person and surrender to God, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss me as sinful or ignorant just because of what I eat. I would gladly offer my meat to Krishna if He would accept it, I don't eat it because I'm selfish but because I think I will starve otherwise. I heard people saying if you eat meat you will go to hell, and you are just full of lies, and it worries me. So I want to know if I can eat meat and still attain Moksha.

Thanks and Hare Krishna.

Be true to yourself norton and surrender to change when and if it comes along.
Blessings, James
Old 16-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrendertotheflow
I agree. I'm sure the wildebeest is just as upset as you would be when the lion gets her baby
I doubt it. The wildebeest may lose its young but just a while later it is horny again.
This really varies with the species.. some mourn a lot, others a little, some not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibat
As for souls and spiritual matters, all I can say is that humans have been eating meat since the stone age. Our bodies have adapted and evolved to bite, chew and digest meat -- I seriously doubt the metaphysical powers that be will damn us for eating what we are naturally and biologically designed to.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 16-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Caityaka

Quote:
Do you think cattle go willingly to the slaughter? It is forced, and there is no animal capable of forcing us into that.
No, I don't think they do. This was actually more what I was aiming for with my first post(but, I didn't put it very clear, rather messed up and un-clear ), the un-necessary violent behaviour towards animals, just for the sake of meat.

So let's re-write the question:

Would humans feel ok about being forced to slaughter for the sake of being food for animals?
I don't think so, and I don't assume the animals would think any different, so thus I believe this will need to change in order to have a more balanced world.

I've been eating beans and lenses etc. as protein-source for the last 4 years or so since I became a vegetarian, and it works all well for me!

In love...
/C