Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Thothagrippa

Question Hanuman and Devotion

Although I am from a Christian family, and for most of my life a follower of Shamanic methods with an agnostic approach, I recently felt a strong connection to the Goddess and was guided by her to learn about the mantra "om namah shivaya". My interest in this mantra led me to study hindu traditions and Shiva dharma in particular for several months.

I attended a prayer service in my town which I learned about online. The service was to Hanuman and involved recitation of the Chalisa. A reading (maybe from Shankaracharya?) followed the aarti. I was very moved by the devotees' kindness and patience as they translated the lecture for me, an American with no knowledge of Hindi. The entire experience left me feeling very positive and as a result I read the hanuman chalisa and listened to recordings of it many times.

I am continuing to study the Shiva Puranas and other Shaeva and Vaishnava scriptures, but none have had the same powerful affect that the chalisa has had on me. I am frequently brought to tears by the recollection of Hanuman's pure devotion and love for Rama. I am speechless at his profound example of humility and service and his image gives me immense joy. The question I have is what relation is there (if any) between Hanuman and Shiva? Is my ecstatic response to Hanuman because of his perfect devotion or does it mean that I should follow Rama (after all I am a married householder) or should I follow Hanuman alone (as the chalisa suggests)?

Any advice is welcome; I am very fond of Shiva and hope to understand the attraction to Hanuman in this context. Also suggestions of books or Authors (in English) are very likely to be followed up on if I can find them.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Master
First of all
hanuman chalisa is a creation of “Tulsidas”.
If you about avtaras in hinduism then you will understand that hanumanji is a avtara of Lord shiva
he is the son of shiva.
I think you should follow Rams
because Hanumanji ever pleased with devotees of Rama.
if you have any question
you are ever welcome..
Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Suman84

Ram ji is very generous and if you want to please Hanumana then first please Ram ji..
Old 13-10-2011, 04:37 AM
moderndayguru

Im pleaseed that you have a interest in Hinduism. It is said that Lord Hanuman is an incarnation of Lord Shiva. He bestows courage and strength. He is also a devote of Lord Rama.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:35 AM
B'nlightened

Re:Hi!! Thotha

Hi!!
Thotha,
Any religion can lead you to that Reality. As there have been Enlightened Saints in Christianity as well. You are really fortunate to have felt the bhakti or devotion for Lord Hanuman and hanuman chalisaa which is a simple devotional and mantratmak rendering from Sri Goswami Tulsidas with all the power to fulfill your wishes of this world and beyond this.
Lord hanuman is 'Rudravatar' or 'Lord Shiva incarnate". If you are feeling devotion towards Lord Hanuman ,you can do it with ram nama, or reciting Lord ram name. In sadhana or the spiritual process it is neccessary to focus on a deity, which is called the 'ishtdevta' As it is one Reality which manifests itself in different forms.
If u can read 'Ramcharitmanas' author' Sri Goswami Tulsidas','Valmiki Ramayana' or books by gitapress,gorakhpur which can be got from gitapress.org which will help you in your 'sadhana' or spiritual journey.

Regards,

SHRI RAM JAY RAM JAY JAY RAM

letsbnlightened.blogspot.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothagrippa
Although I am from a Christian family, and for most of my life a follower of Shamanic methods with an agnostic approach, I recently felt a strong connection to the Goddess and was guided by her to learn about the mantra "om namah shivaya". My interest in this mantra led me to study hindu traditions and Shiva dharma in particular for several months.

I attended a prayer service in my town which I learned about online. The service was to Hanuman and involved recitation of the Chalisa. A reading (maybe from Shankaracharya?) followed the aarti. I was very moved by the devotees' kindness and patience as they translated the lecture for me, an American with no knowledge of Hindi. The entire experience left me feeling very positive and as a result I read the hanuman chalisa and listened to recordings of it many times.

I am continuing to study the Shiva Puranas and other Shaeva and Vaishnava scriptures, but none have had the same powerful affect that the chalisa has had on me. I am frequently brought to tears by the recollection of Hanuman's pure devotion and love for Rama. I am speechless at his profound example of humility and service and his image gives me immense joy. The question I have is what relation is there (if any) between Hanuman and Shiva? Is my ecstatic response to Hanuman because of his perfect devotion or does it mean that I should follow Rama (after all I am a married householder) or should I follow Hanuman alone (as the chalisa suggests)?

Any advice is welcome; I am very fond of Shiva and hope to understand the attraction to Hanuman in this context. Also suggestions of books or Authors (in English) are very likely to be followed up on if I can find them.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 AM
B'nlightened

I]Hi!!
Thotha,
Any religion can lead you to that Reality. As there have been Enlightened Saints in Christianity as well. You are really fortunate to have felt the bhakti or devotion for Lord Hanuman and hanuman chalisaa which is a simple devotional and mantratmak rendering from Sri Goswami Tulsidas with all the power to fulfill your wishes of this world and beyond this.
Lord hanuman is 'Rudravatar' or 'Lord Shiva incarnate". If you are feeling devotion towards Lord Hanuman ,you can do it with ram nama, or reciting Lord ram name. In sadhana or the spiritual process it is neccessary to focus on a deity, which is called the 'ishtdevta' As it is one Reality which manifests itself in different forms.
If u can read 'Ramcharitmanas' author' Sri Goswami Tulsidas','Valmiki Ramayana' or books by gitapress,gorakhpur which can be got from gitapress.org which will help you in your 'sadhana' or spiritual journey.

Regards,

SHRI RAM JAY RAM JAY JAY RAM
[/i]
letsbnlightened.blogspot.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothagrippa