Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 25-09-2020, 05:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Excited now, thanks sky123!

Some say it's very Buddhist, see what you think. You will find it very easy to understand as your well versed in Buddhism
Old 29-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterRose
I've found that Stephan Hoeller is a good source.

If you look at Stephen Hoeller's book called A Gnostic Catechism, you will notice on page v he wrote "The catechism which follows is a manual of instructions in the Gnostic Mythos."

I was surprised that Stephen Hoeller acknowledged the mythos attributed to Gnosticism, but then, mythos and the supernatural seem to be rooted in all main stream religions.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Last edited by BigJohn : 29-09-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 29-09-2020, 06:37 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Some say it's very Buddhist, see what you think. You will find it very easy to understand as your well versed in Buddhism

Have started a thread or two about it, it is excellent indeed.

Old 29-09-2020, 11:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
I actually don't know much about it - the only thing I am aware of is Gnosis is the basis of genuine spiritual realization (possibly different to a formal 'Gnosticism' religion)

Janielee,

I see it the same way. Gnosis is genuine....Gnosticism is an appropriated term. One is resorting to the doxa definition of knowledge if he accepts the beliefs and teachings of Gnosticism.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:05 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
haha there's been a thing against Gnosticism for 2000 years :)
the church father Irenaeus in 180ad wrote a whole book against it called "On the Detection and Overthrow of the So-Called Gnosis"
where have you been?

Oh yes. We must thank him for never shutting up about it.

Thank you great Irenaeus for all of that wonderful promotion.

It might have been I'd have never heard.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:10 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
If you look at Stephen Hoeller's book called A Gnostic Catechism, you will notice on page v he wrote "The catechism which follows is a manual of instructions in the Gnostic Mythos."

I was surprised that Stephen Hoeller acknowledged the mythos attributed to Gnosticism, but then, mythos and the supernatural seem to be rooted in all main stream religions.

I'm surprised that you're surprised. It's not like they hide the mythos bit. That is part of the reason why it doesn't insult my intelligence.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Master
Quote:
I'm surprised that you're surprised. It's not like they hide the mythos bit. That is part of the reason why it doesn't insult my intelligence.

There are other threads in the Christianity sections were people that believe in Gnosticism have claimed that Gnostics do not believe in the mythos aspect of that 'belief'. It was 'refreshing' to see in the book that you recommended, that the author does believe in the mythos aspect. In that regards, I do thank you for mentioning that.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Soul Seeker

Quote:
In some circles, one 'hidden book' we are all familiar with is the Book of Mormon. If it wasn't written in 1611 King James English, it could have become one of the New Age's premier books. I like the plots in that book..... in many cases they are well developed.

But then, the Book of Mormon, doesn't hold up to scrutiny just as the Gnostic books don't hold up to scrutiny to be included in the Bible.

I do not see your last as true, but such opinions, are just that.

I did not see a question in you opening remarks. Did you have a mythos based question or more logos?

Regards
DL
Old 05-01-2021, 10:10 PM
Soul Seeker

Quote:
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a Gnostic today who views this in the literal sense.

For sure.

We were a part of the intelligentsia for crying out laud.

We were never idol worshipers like Christians are.

Regards
DL
Old 05-01-2021, 10:22 PM
Soul Seeker

Quote:
I just relate what the Gnostic scriptures say.

I find it interesting that Gnosticism may have came from Zoroastrianism. They also have compound creation accounts and are deeply entrenched in the supernatural, very similar to Judaism and Christianity.

If I might correct.

Every religion can and likely has a Gnostic creed. Do you think all religions kill their apostates the way some insane Muslim creeds do?

Judaism, is more of an esoteric religion than a god religion.

As Jesus would ask you, have ye forgotten that ye are gods?

Gnostic Christians have not.

Some unfortunates believe in the supernatural and have forgotten their position of excellence and human fitness.

Gnostic Christians do not.

Regards
DL