Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 06-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Aditi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Question, then. Why do you think it is called Raja Yoga?
I don't have a particular ans. I was surprised to see it considered 'supporting'.
It would sound right in an Indian context. In the caste system, a King would wash the feet of a Brahmin.

I don't know much about the term, raja yoga, but a quick online search left me wondering if it was coined for the sake of marketing it to westerners. I think Patanjali called the whole meditation practise just yoga, as in, "yoga is to cease the activity of thoughts." Although, having mainly read translations, I might have missed something. If the term raja yoga came into use after we had learned to use the word yoga as a synonym for the yogasana part, maybe meditation needed its own yoga title for the sake of clarity? idk It is an impressive sounding name.

I also think of meditation as supporting, but that is just my opinion. If I didn't already feel devotion, I probably wouldn't be so diligent about anything else.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:24 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Question, then. Why do you think it is called Raja Yoga?
I don't have a particular ans. I was surprised to see it considered 'supporting'.

For newbies - which Yogananda's Kriya Yoga, for example, is under the umbrella of....meaning Raja Yoga.

Oh, raj or raja meaning the king of yogas.
Maha= great
raj= king
atma=soul: Mahatma Ghandi

There are young people here lately, thought I'd teach a couple of basics.

Here's Swami Sarvapriyananda's take on the four Yogas and their relationship to each other from an Advaita perspective. Something else I've always found great wisdom in is Sri Ramakrishna's take that Bhakti alone can suffice, though the order that bears his name is primarily a knowledge-based path, with the other Yogas in a supporting role.

https://youtu.be/QC6LGIlpsHI?t=3404
Old 07-11-2020, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Here's Swami Sarvapriyananda's take on the four Yogas and their relationship to each other from an Advaita perspective. Something else I've always found great wisdom in is Sri Ramakrishna's take that Bhakti alone can suffice, though the order that bears his name is primarily a knowledge-based path, with the other Yogas in a supporting role.

https://youtu.be/QC6LGIlpsHI?t=3404
Ur the best, thanks:)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 07-11-2020, 06:42 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Ur the best, thanks:)

That video popped up in my YouTube recommended videos a couple of days ago and I just watched it this morning. It's uncanny how often I watch one of the Swami's lectures or get to a point in "Vivekananda: The Four Yogas and Other Works" and it's precisely relevant to some discussion or other going on here.

Of course it's just coincidence due to the variety of topics discussed here and the volume of Advaita content I consume. It's bound to happen.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:08 PM
Master

raja yog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Fleshing it out a little further and from my perspective, it seems Bhakti & Jnana are the main practices and Karma & Raja supporting practices. Of course the hard-care traditional Vedantist would suggest all practices are necessary to some extent and I tend to agree.

Raja definitely brings about clarity of mind, and that does help with understanding and especially insight.

Karma Yoga provides practices that are complimentary to and supportive of both Bhakti (Work for God) and Jnana (Work as Witness).

I'm analytical so I gravitate to Jnana, and I'm also contemplative so Raja and the Karma practice of Work as Witness suit me well.

I grew up Roman Catholic so I do have a Bhakti background, however it's just not my strong suit and at some point I probably need to put more effort into its practices, however not in the traditional sense of the religion. I do admire and resonate with Jesus' core teachings so that's my gateway.

As I have learnt by Raj yog we mean Bhakti yog only . According to me , some talk about it based on the name of chapter 9 'Raj Vidya Raj guhya yog' .

With true spirituality one can appreciate other traditions also and feel comfortable even with other learning / view points of other traditions as well. Jesus core teaching are universal in its appeal and I too feel quite comfortable learning/appreciating/imbibing from those teachings as well.