Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 20-10-2020, 10:43 PM
Master

I just love the title of the thread

I depleted the last of my savings two days ago, someone who had promised me some money fell through on their offer. I have no job.

A day prior, someone had prayed for my prosperity...

Then I walked past a homeless person we exchanged smiles. I went home, looked at my bank account...

Then I laughed.
Old 21-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmbers
I just love the title of the thread

I depleted the last of my savings two days ago, someone who had promised me some money fell through on their offer. I have no job.

A day prior, someone had prayed for my prosperity...

Then I walked past a homeless person we exchanged smiles. I went home, looked at my bank account...

Then I laughed.

He has a good sense of humour and always looks on the bright side of life which can be difficult sometimes.
I Hope things get better for you and if they don't just be grumpy but don't worry nothing lasts forever
Old 26-10-2020, 06:13 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
He has a good sense of humour

Oh you were quoting Peter Betts (Ajahn Brahm) who was telling a story Ajahn Chah....
The other post was quoting Ajahn Nyandhammo who was telling a story about Ajahn Chah

confusing lol

Why so many Ajahn's? The word Ajahn is simply the Thai word for "professor" or "teacher."
The term "ajahn" is customarily used to address forest tradition monks.

So if I became a forest tradition monk, I would be known as Ajahn Phaelyn.

Last edited by Phaelyn : 26-10-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 26-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
Oh you were quoting Peter Betts (Ajahn Brahm) who was telling a story Ajahn Chah....
The other post was quoting Ajahn Nyandhammo who was telling a story about Ajahn Chah

confusing lol

Why so many Ajahn's? The word Ajahn is simply the Thai word for "professor" or "teacher."

Confusing because you are attached to your Quotes and didn't read the whole Post but chose to jump in accusing instead of reading
Old 26-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Master
Quote:

confusing lol

The Title is given to Monks who are deemed to have the Knowledge and Wisdom to teach others....
Old 26-10-2020, 11:25 PM
Deactivated Account

I deem myself Ajahn Phaelyn.
Translation .... teacher phaelyn.

Ajahn (Thai: อาจารย์, RTGS: achan, IPA: [ʔāː.tɕāːn], also romanized ajaan, aajaan, ajarn, ajahn, acharn and achaan) is a Thai language term which translates as "professor" or "teacher." It is derived from the Pali word ācariya, and is a term of respect, similar in meaning to the Japanese sensei, and is used as a title of address for high-school and university teachers. Wikipedia.
Old 27-10-2020, 04:36 PM
janielee

Quote:

confusing lol

Actually you would not, Phaelyn. In your rush to win the internet debate, you forget to read the full sentences of Wikipedia, which was your source it appears.

One becomes an Ajahn only after 10 rain retreats (years of full practice in the Theravadan way). And first there is a long period of being a samanara to assess suitability, then being a novice monk.

Being quick to judge wins no real prizes.

JL
Old 27-10-2020, 05:42 PM
Master

aacharya--> acariya-->ajahn

Quote:
I deem myself Ajahn Phaelyn.
Translation .... teacher phaelyn.

Ajahn (Thai: อาจารย์, RTGS: achan, IPA: [ʔāː.tɕāːn], also romanized ajaan, aajaan, ajarn, ajahn, acharn and achaan) is a Thai language term which translates as "professor" or "teacher." It is derived from the Pali word ācariya, and is a term of respect, similar in meaning to the Japanese sensei, and is used as a title of address for high-school and university teachers. Wikipedia.

I learnt new word Ajahn is derived from pali acariaya and that word is derived from Sanskrit 'Aacharya' meaning teacher/professor.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 27-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
I learnt new word Ajahn is derived from pali acariaya and that word is derived from Sanskrit 'Aacharya' meaning teacher/professor.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes I kept seeing all these names pop up on threads with the word Ajahn in front of them so I was curious what was going on lol. Like was it a popular boys name somewhere? Yea just means teacher.
Old 27-10-2020, 06:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Yes I kept seeing all these names pop up on threads with the word Ajahn in front of them so I was curious what was going on lol. Like was it a popular boys name somewhere? Yea just means teacher.

It doesn't JUST mean Teacher in Buddhism, JL explained it to you....