Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-10-2020, 06:26 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
after 10 rain retreats

What if you live in the desert?
Old 27-10-2020, 06:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
What if you live in the desert?

It's the Retreat that's important not the ' Rain '
Old 27-10-2020, 06:43 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
It doesn't JUST mean Teacher in Buddhism, JL explained it to you....

Are you a Buddhist or know much about Buddhism? Have you ever formally studied religion in college or university? Where do you get these opinions and beliefs and views? Self taught? Not all schools of Buddhism use that word for "teacher." Buddha certainly never used such a term. It's a Thai word. Buddha was born in Nepal and spoke Pali I would guess. Pali, Sanskrit, Chinese, and Tibetan are the main sacred languages of Buddhism. So no, your statement is false as is JL's. You are talking about one cult or school within Buddhism. It's like how Ananda, an offshoot of SRF, made a new title.... "lightbearer" which Yogananda never even knew. Human beings are always making up new stuff.

I won't bother getting into your false views of "egotistic rank" within religious groups but there is that lol.

I'd suggest you go live with Buddhist monks or nuns for awhile. You'd learn a lot. Actually if you are Christian, take a retreat with some nuns in a cloistered monastery. Not much difference between Buddhist and Christian monks and nuns, only superficial differences.
Old 27-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
It's the Retreat that's important not the ' Rain '

Not according to JL But then he is certainly not my teacher.
Old 27-10-2020, 06:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
Are you a Buddhist or know much about Buddhism? Have you ever formally studied religion in college or university? Where do you get these opinions and beliefs and views? Self taught? Not all schools of Buddhism use that word for "teacher." Buddha certainly never used such a term. It's a Thai word. Buddha was born in Nepal and spoke Pali I would guess. Pali, Sanskrit, Chinese, and Tibetan are the main sacred languages of Buddhism. So no, your statement is false as is JL's. You are talking about one cult or school within Buddhism. It's like how Ananda, an offshoot of SRF, made a new title.... "lightbearer" which Yogananda never even knew. Human beings are always making up new stuff.

I won't bother getting into your false views of "egotistic rank" within religious groups but there is that lol.

I'd suggest you go live with Buddhist monks or nuns for awhile. You'd learn a lot. Actually if you are Christian, take a retreat with some nuns in a cloistered monastery. Not much difference between Buddhist and Christian monks and nuns, only superficial differences.

Oh dear, what happened to all the ' Sweetness and Light ' ......
Old 30-10-2020, 12:09 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
But if grandma died in an aircraft terrorist attack, not only would there be no funeral expenses, but the relations would get a substantial insurance payout from the airline company as well. At the end of the day, they would come out ahead from granny’s demise. Ajahn Brahm

One won't find "Sweetness and Light" being into writing or writers like that imho. I am not into dark humor myself.

dark humor
A form of humor involving a twist or joke making the joke seen as offensive, harsh, horrid.

From a review of that book: "His quirky sensibility is not for all tastes: the tales can be a trifle morbid" publishersweekly
Old 30-10-2020, 12:20 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Nothing to do with Ajhan CHAH

Looking back, I was right. You quoted Brahm quoting Chah.

Quote:
Many years ago in Thailand, my teacher, Ajahn Chah, raised his ceramic mug....In the same way,” Ajahn Chah began to emphasize, “your body has a crack in it. The crack is invisible right now, but it is there. It is called your future death. One day there will be an accident, a disease, or old age; then the crack will appear and you will die. That is your destiny.

The entire ceramic mug story you quoted is about chah.
Old 30-10-2020, 12:32 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
First of all, don't tell me not to worry and I don't need your permission to be grumpy. Second of all Pollyanna, before you think your airplane blowing apart in midair is all tea and crumpets you better read this .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke

It's really terrible writing in my view as well.