Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Master
EXAMPLE OF AN ALTERED SCRIPTURE

In the King James Bible at 2 Corinthians 13:12 reads:

"Greet one another with an holy kiss."

whereas the NIV translation altered the verse to read:

"Greet one another with a holy kiss."

The difference between the two verses is "an" has been properly changed to "a".

Some people get upset when a new translation renders some expressions differently then 'their' Bible renders them.

Lets talk about scriptures that have been 'corrected' and the reason for the change. Please also include scriptures that have been actually removed.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 23-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
..Lets talk about scriptures that have been 'corrected' and the reason for the change. Please also include scriptures that have been actually removed.
What about all the other books left out?
Old 23-02-2020, 10:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
What about all the other books left out?

'Left out' implies they were once in the canon. That question should be devoted to another thread.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 23-02-2020, 10:58 PM
Master

Quote:
'Left out' implies they were once in the canon. That question should be devoted to another thread.

They decided what books to chose and what to discard, it's well known that the Book of Revelation was very close to not make it in the "final" set of books that make today the Bible. They were more inclined to chose the book called: Apocalypse of Peter; and now, this book was completely forgotten, but at that time was quite popular.

For example, from my own research, I may be wrong, the Book of Revelation is the only one where the writer talks about a punishment for the ones who may modify it and so people assigned this belief to the entire Bible, but the Bible is made of so many books, written by so many different people who had different styles, the "Bible" has been altered even before the time of Christ, people assigned things to God that He never said or done, the law an eye for an eye was given with many years before Moses to actually receive it from God, it's well known that Hammurabi wrote that law, and according to the legend, he received this law and all the other from a being not from this world.

The supernatural things never stopped and so we have so many christian legends today, many other followers of Christ wrote books, God never said "create the bible with this books and stop", do you think His revelation stopped 2000 years ago? The Holy Spirit was given to the followers of Christ and so the revelations never stopped. I am just at the beginning stage into the christian literature, and I too had similar visions just like the ones written down by the followers of Christ who walked down the Earth hundreds of years ago.

You know what hurts the most when it comes to christianity? That the message of Christ was overshadowed by the church leaders and so instead to free people from the bondage of ignorance, they made them the slaves of the church. They decided and decide everything, when the so called Pope came into my country, at his first visit, he went to the biggest new church from my country, there he was welcomed by the most rich, popular and influencing people, now, when I look at Christ, He was always around the poor and the needy, showing them The Way. They made christians to have their own groups ( denominations ) and to hate each other, always pointing fingers at one another, all claiming that only by their way you can be saved. The christians in my country, not all, but many of them, have a very deep hate for the other christian denominations, you can't say a word that you are asked of what denomination you are and if you are not of them, then you are someone below them.
Old 24-02-2020, 03:08 AM
MAYA EL

The fact that it has been translated is proof that the bibible has been altered because it requires the opinion of the translater because they often times have to pick a word to finish a sentence because there is no English equivalent for the word in Hebrew/ greek.

Now add to that the fact that no originals exist and the closest thing we have to an original of any part of the bible is about 100-70 copies from the original .
Old 24-02-2020, 04:26 AM
Master
In response to the premise of this topic and NOT the topic creator himself (as he does not exist).

Up until the start of the 19th Century, the alphabetic letters of "h" and "y" were considered to be vowels and not consonants.

According to English grammar, when a descriptive pronoun or adverb is placed before a noun or verb starting with a vowel, it must end with a consonant.

Thus, the translation was brought into line when "aitch" became "haitch" and the translation reflected such...which has absolutely nothing to do with the intended meaning or the original language supplying it.

Good day to all.
Old 24-02-2020, 04:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
In response to the premise of this topic and NOT the topic creator himself (as he does not exist).

Up until the start of the 19th Century, the alphabetic letters of "h" and "y" were considered to be vowels and not consonants.

According to English grammar, when a descriptive pronoun or adverb is placed before a noun or verb starting with a vowel, it must end with a consonant.

Thus, the translation was brought into line when "aitch" became "haitch" and the translation reflected such...which has absolutely nothing to do with the intended meaning or the original language supplying it.

Good day to all.

What scripture are you referring to?

I have no idea what you are trying to 'say'.

Old 24-02-2020, 05:02 AM
Master
Acts 9:5-6 is a scripture taken from the King James Bible that 'some' people love to use for various reasons. The scripture reads:

"And he said, 'Who art thou Lord?' and the Lord said, 'I am Jesus whom
thou persecutest. It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
And he, trembling and astonished, said, 'Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?' And the Lord said unto him, 'Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.'"

The NIV Bible renders the scripture as:

"“Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked. “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”"

The King James redition came about when Erasmus apparently believed the extra 'parts' inserted in the scripture should be in the Textus Receptus. Virtually all modern translations do not use Erasmus version.

Old 24-02-2020, 05:21 AM
Master
Quote:
What scripture are you referring to?

I have no idea what you are trying to 'say'.
You never have any idea of anything I am saying and this is why we are sworn enemies.

The word "holy" in YOUR quoted scripture in the opening post begins with the letter "H" doesn't it?

In the time of King James, the letter "H" was a vowel and not a consonant.

Think of it as saying "oly kiss" and not "holy kiss" are you with me so far?

To put a descriptor before "oly kiss" (with a silent "h"), it would HAVE to be "an" and not "a" to comply with the rules of English grammar at the time...are you following me?

When the status of "h" was changed from the guttural to the aspirate thus becoming a consonant, then the "an holy kiss" was changed to "a holy kiss"...even in parts of England, they still drop the letter "h" in general conversation....they just did it a lot more in King James' time.

So, the translation of either scripture that you started this thread with is exactly the same...no different to the other one in any way, shape or form.

Now, if you still cannot understand the language I speak, perhaps another can translate "my English" into "your English" so you may understand THEM because when it comes to you, my patience ran out ages ago and my "fruits of the spirit" have been left out in the sun too long.
Old 24-02-2020, 05:43 AM
Master

Quote:
...Some people get upset when a new translation renders some expressions differently then 'their' Bible renders them.

Lets talk about scriptures that have been 'corrected' and the reason for the change. Please also include scriptures that have been actually removed.
I don't understand the point of this.

Surely (by definition) a new translation will express the original text in different terms.

If the new translation used exactly the same words as previous translations then it would not be a new translation. It would be a reprint.

And even the four accepted gospels are not always in agreement with each other.

If people are so concerned about any changes in meaning due to different translations then they could always learn Koine Greek to read the original texts of the New Testament. Or perhaps even Aramaic or Hebrew. And they might be surprised by what they read.

But even so, they would only be reading things written decades after the events, and who knows what distortions might have crept in. Perhaps Jesus really did say "Blessed are the cheesemakers ...".

ειρήνη