Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2006, 06:01 AM
iLLER T

I must say, I'm very happy to have come across this thread as well. I've been running the question "are these really my feelings?" through my head for a month or so now. I've always had my emotions controlled (I don't know if that's the best way to put it)... but I will hold myself back in certain situations because the emotions that take over me.

So, I guess I have a question.. haha. These emotions that Empaths feel, I read that some don't understand who's emotions are whose. But, in that sense, can they be taken in by that person as they way they're actually feeling about themselves? Does that makes sense? I guess I'll just have to wait and see. =)

Thanks for the post!
Old 24-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Fiona

I would like to answer your question but I need you to ask it again as I am not sure I understand it..

Whenever you notice a that you have a feeling/sense or emotion which is linked to an interaction or situation with another person, it is always worth asking yourself whether that emotion really belongs to you. For example in my workplace we deal a lot with families with very chaotic and confusing lives/relationships. Many times workers will come to me to talk a situation over and it is amazing how often their feelings/habits tend to mirror those of the families they are working with. Often times they are feeling confused etc. and I say to them "Don't let X's confusion become your confusion, it does not belong to you, give it back." This is a very simple but straightforward and powerful technique. Most people find themselves affected by this type of transferance regardless of whether they are deemed 'empathic' or not.
Old 25-10-2006, 03:36 AM
iLLER T

Fiona,

Thanks for the reply. =) I thought I had written that a little confusing... you seem to have thought so too. But you did touch on almost exactly what I was talking about.

But in my case, I guess what I am asking is:

I've always come into situations (groups, parties, get togethers) and I always have an emotion that comes over me. If it's a good spot, I'm fine and can just be me and have fun. But when I sense the negativity, it creates a block for me. I feel... (I'm trying to think of the best way to put this) like I don't even want to try and tap into the energy. This is what I think is my main battle in life... finding my confidence. But recently I've been trying to find the resource for the feelings. I'm very in tune with myself, psychology, and my environment... but I still can't get passed this "shyness."

Maybe this made it even more confusing, but I'm really hoping that it didn't. As I write this though, I feel as if it's the wrong category for what I'm experiencing. Although, deep down, a part of me thinks it does have something to do with being an empath. I can explain it a little bit more if this just trailed off to nowhere.

Thanks again, Fiona. =)
Old 25-10-2006, 03:39 AM
BLAIR2BE

exactly fiona!!
we are all "electrical conductors/recievers". or if you dont like "electrical", use energetic. either way, we are all electricity. we conduct energy, we recieve energy, point blank. this is easy to understand. what may be considered by some as tricky, would be to distinguish between one's own energy and the energy of others (by energy/electricity, i mean our mind, brain, emotions, spirit/soul, aura) now, with self awareness, will come the ability to distinguish. whats the technique?? i dont know. i never had that particular problem. but i think and hope that the basic understanding all are conductors and recievers will help "light" your path a little. when i look at it from this perspective, many things make total sense.

comments......
Old 25-10-2006, 03:41 AM
BLAIR2BE

we all come from the same lucy, we all are of god:>)
Old 23-11-2006, 09:07 PM
~Jay~

Just found another good article on empathy:

Traits of an Empath
by Christel Broederlow

Empaths are often quiet and can take a while to handle a compliment for they're more inclined to point out another's positive attributes. They are highly expressive in all areas of emotional connection, and talk openly, and, at times, quite frankly in respect to themselves. They may have few problems talking about their feelings. However, they can be the exact opposite: reclusive and apparently unresponsive at the best of times. They may even appear ignorant. Some are very good at blocking out others and that's not always a bad thing, at least for the learning empath struggling with a barrage of emotions from others, as well as their own feelings.

Empaths have a tendency to openly feel what is outside of them more so than what is inside of them. This can cause empaths to ignore their own needs. In general an empath is non-violent, non-aggressive and leans more towards being the peacemaker. Any area filled with disharmony creates an uncomfortable feeling in an empath. If they find themselves in the middle of a confrontation, they will endeavor to settle the situation as quickly as possible, if not avoid it all together. If any harsh words are expressed in defending themselves, they will likely resent their lack of self-control, and have a preference to peacefully resolve the problem quickly.

Empaths are sensitive to TV, videos, movies, news and broadcasts. Violence or emotional dramas depicting shocking scenes of physical or emotional pain inflicted on adults, children or animals can bring an empath easily to tears. At times, they may feel physically ill or choke back the tears. Some empaths will struggle to comprehend any such cruelty, and will have grave difficulty in expressing themselves in the face of another's ignorance, closed-mindedness and obvious lack of compassion. They simply cannot justify the suffering they feel and see. People of all walks of life and animals are attracted to the warmth and genuine compassion of empaths.

Regardless of whether others are aware of one being empathic, people are drawn to them as a metal object is to a magnet! They are like beacons of light. Even complete strangers find it easy to talk to empaths about the most personal things, and before they know it, they have poured out their hearts and souls without intending to do so consciously. It is as though on a sub-conscious level that person knows instinctively that empaths would listen with compassionate understanding. Here are the listeners of life.

Empaths are often problem solvers, thinkers, and studiers of many things. As far as empaths are concerned, where a problem is, so too is the answer. They often will search until they find one--if only for peace of mind.

http://www.angelfire.com
Old 24-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Enlightener

Constricted Ostrich Sandwich

I am an empath, as I am able to detedt exactly how and why of what people are feeling, though I do not have the negative baggage that usually comes with it. I think this may be linked my psychotic endeavours(?) though, as people with a mental illness are usually more sensitive to other's emotions.
My parents get angry very easily and I "contract" this anger quite easily, on some occasions, when I let myself, or can't help it. that is possibly the only negative I have with my empath abilities.

Enlightener
Old 24-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Enlightener

Mushroom deity

I think it is important to kind of distance yourself from the emotions that you contract from others, to realise that it is something which you have not entirely created by yourself. You are probably an empath because you came here to heal others, though that is just my opinion.

Enlightener
Old 25-11-2006, 01:02 AM
imageimaginer

It can also be quite hard especially when others want you feel what they want you to feel as if by force. They may think something and feel sad for you and they expect you to be sad when really you're not. This is just to bring you down and to make you feel more powerless and it is also what others do to try to stop you from picking up their true emotions. Its a kind of mix up of emotions that you recieve but most times it is just one emotion that is used to disguise another. It is very clever but if you are a strong feeler(empath) you are able to discern true feelings from false. This is also along the lines of psychic attack and it is also something I struggle with all the time. In this world it is all about control. Normal people feel threatened by us especially if we know their true emotions. But what they don't realise is that sometimes we have to keep things a secret in order to protect ourselves, our loved ones and even those people we are picking up on. But they will try to control us because they fear the worst. That we will reveal their secrets.

If you are unsure how to discern from your emotions to that of another all you have to do is ask within yourself, Are these mine? and you will always get a straight answer. Sometimes I can sit down and watch TV when all of a sudden I will just break down and cry for no apparent reason. Which means that someone else is in a lot of pain and is also crying. These are the strongest feelings and this is because they are people who we keep close to our hearts. The ones who we love so dearly, friends or relatives that may be living elsewhere. But all other feelings do you have to be careful with because your mind can also play tricks on you and make you think silly things. When this does happen I find it useful not to trust my mind but to trust in the feeling. Feelings will always be true and in time a truthful answer will come from within that feeling that is now inside of you. Listen to your heart or to that which is inside of you. Don't think about it, just feel it.
Old 20-12-2006, 07:19 PM
OceanWaves19161

Intense empathy

Ever since I was a young child I've picked up on peoples feeling and emotions but as I've got older its only got worse and I'm getting extremelly sensitive(I get very weepy alot). I'm reeeeally struggling with seperating my emotions with others and its causing me major emotional problems because I'm in an environment with lots of fairly new souls. Does anyone else experience this? and has anyone learnt how to cope with it?. Any advice would be great if possible:)

Alana
Closed Thread