Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Nutmeg

What Do You Like About the Rider-Waite?

Sell me on it! Okay, I must admit I never really cared for it, I mean I like it but it has never really spoke to me intuitively, in fact, I feel locked up reading it. Surely I can't be the only one??

I recently acquired a wonderful 1972 Rider & Co Fitzroy Square, London blue box Rider-Waite. The colors are brilliant and card stock is sturdy even so...

I want to read with it, I truly do... I fondle the cards lovingly, and then I go to read with it and nothing..... well not much of nothing. My readings are bookish and stifled. I want to squeeze more out of the card but I don't seem to get much.

Half the problem is the symbolism, I would like a symbolism study buddy if anyone here is well versed in it or would like to study it too. I have so many questions for instance, why are the boots in the 7 of pentacles different colors and what, if anything does this mean?

Anyone else here want to study the symbolism of the RWS pack?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Quintessence

I have a question. Do you mean just the "original" RW deck or all decks inspired by its symbolism? I ask because a gigantic number of decks (probably the majority) are derived from RW in some fashion. If the "original" RW deck doesn't work for you, find one that has a thematic variation which does speak to you. You can find anything from steampunk to goth fantasy that uses RW symbolism as its core.

As for the symbolism of various decks, symbolic meanings are very cultural and personal. You can, however, start by investigating the general symbolic systems often used in Tarot. There are a lot of them, and they are a handful to wrestle with on their own. Color symbolism. Elemental symbolism. Astrological symbolism. Quabbalah symbolism. Mythological symbolism (which can be drawn from anything from Greek mythology to Christianity).

If you don't want all that work, one thing you can do is just spend time meditating on each of the cards. You can probably find better outlines for how to do this elsewhere online or in a book. One thing I find useful is to first start with a very objective and neutral description of what is going on in the card, and THEN start thinking about it's emotional resonance or deeper symbolic meanings. For example, for your avatar picture, the objective bit would be "a person, probably a young man, has a bird on his left hand" and a more symbolic exploration would go "there's lots of yellow in this card, and that plus the bird makes me think about the Air Element, travel, and communication."
Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 PM
LadyTerra

Hi Nutmeg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg
Sell me on it! Okay, I must admit I never really cared for it, I mean I like it but it has never really spoke to me intuitively, in fact, I feel locked up reading it. Surely I can't be the only one??

I recently acquired a wonderful 1972 Rider & Co Fitzroy Square, London blue box Rider-Waite. The colors are brilliant and card stock is sturdy even so...

I want to read with it, I truly do... I fondle the cards lovingly, and then I go to read with it and nothing..... well not much of nothing. My readings are bookish and stifled. I want to squeeze more out of the card but I don't seem to get much.

Half the problem is the symbolism, I would like a symbolism study buddy if anyone here is well versed in it or would like to study it too. I have so many questions for instance, why are the boots in the 7 of pentacles different colors and what, if anything does this mean?

Anyone else here want to study the symbolism of the RWS pack?

Perhaps Quint is right--the original RW has a lot of Christian overtones--maybe it would be best to find a Deck whose symbolism speaks more directly to your beliefs.

While I agree that the majority of Decks are based on the RW--"The Dragon Tarot" suits my basic personality better than say--"The Halloween Tarot" (for instance).

Happy Shopping!!!

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 13-06-2012, 03:02 AM
Nutmeg

I adore these cards and I've decided I'm going to continue to work with them.

If anyone is fluent in the symbolism of this pack, I'm still interested in a study partner.

For instance, the falcon that the lady is holding in the 9 of pentacles (my avatar) represents a disciplined mind and conscious control of aggressive or hunting impulses. I do know some, but not all. I just seen something new in the death card today as well.

Thanks for your replies!
Old 13-06-2012, 05:03 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings Nutmeg:

Quote:
I adore these cards and I've decided I'm going to continue to work with them.

If anyone is fluent in the symbolism of this pack, I'm still interested in a study partner.

For instance, the falcon that the lady is holding in the 9 of pentacles (my avatar) represents a disciplined mind and conscious control of aggressive or hunting impulses. I do know some, but not all. I just seen something new in the death card today as well.

Thanks for your replies!

Tell me what you saw and share your impression of the Death Card (in general).

Peace and Love on your path to sharing with a nosey friend...

Blessed be...
Old 13-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Nutmeg

I see the death card as a liberation from the old to the new, a transformation, leaving behind out modded ideas, behaviors, beliefs etc

In symbols the horseman's flag with the mystic rose and others roses signifying the mystic path . The figures in the card each each wear the crosses of initiation. The horseman moves left to right from unconscious to consciousness. The sun shines promising a new day as the horseman awakens.

What is next to the horses right foot? something yellow and circular. There is what looks like a sailboat in the background I suppose also representing the transition of the unconscious to the conscious. There are the trees, does anyone know what kind of trees they are?

I could go on.....but I'll stop here
Old 14-06-2012, 04:59 PM
LadyTerra

Hi Nutmeg:

Quote:
I see the death card as a liberation from the old to the new, a transformation, leaving behind out modded ideas, behaviors, beliefs etc

In symbols the horseman's flag with the mystic rose and others roses signifying the mystic path . The figures in the card each each wear the crosses of initiation. The horseman moves left to right from unconscious to consciousness. The sun shines promising a new day as the horseman awakens.

What is next to the horses right foot? something yellow and circular. There is what looks like a sailboat in the background I suppose also representing the transition of the unconscious to the conscious. There are the trees, does anyone know what kind of trees they are?

I could go on.....but I'll stop here

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I think you are doing just fine w/ the R-W.

I believe you really have a Gift for it--so keep studing and practicing. You might be interested in a book I recommend quite often by P. Scott Hollander entitled, "Tarot for Beginners".

Peace and Love on your path to discovering the Mysteries...

Blessed be...
Old 14-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Nutmeg

I've been reading the tarot for awhile now--- but the RWS really never appealed to me until now, that is, until I acquired my nice soft vintage pack
Old 15-06-2012, 04:34 PM
LadyTerra

Quote:
I've been reading the tarot for awhile now--- but the RWS really never appealed to me until now, that is, until I acquired my nice soft vintage pack

I have been a student of the Tarot for more than 30 years (now).

I have many books and my own notes and impressions that I have journalized--but the book I mentioned is still my favorite and a valuable reference guide.

I am very glad you love your new Deck!
Old 15-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Nutmeg

Well I haven't been reading that long Wowza! count me in for only a few years! and I'm still learning but I don't think you ever stop

Out of curiosity what is your favorite tarot deck, the one that speaks to you?