Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 19-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Sister Rags

B'Shalom vs. L'Shalom

It's my understanding that "B'Shalom" is a greeting for the dead, as in "My aunt Bertha was a wonderful woman...B'shalom." (Meaning, roughly, "be at peace" or "rest in peace"). "L'Shalom" is, I thought, a greeting for the living, as in, "I hope your week-end is a good one. L'Shalom." (Meaning, more or less, "wishing you peace.")

Any thoughts, input?
Old 20-06-2014, 01:58 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Rags
It's my understanding that "B'Shalom" is a greeting for the dead, as in "My aunt Bertha was a wonderful woman...B'shalom." (Meaning, roughly, "be at peace" or "rest in peace"). "L'Shalom" is, I thought, a greeting for the living, as in, "I hope your week-end is a good one. L'Shalom." (Meaning, more or less, "wishing you peace.")

Any thoughts, input?

B'shalom literally simply means "in peace." L'shalom literally simply means "to/toward peace."

The closet Hebrew expression that equates with "rest in peace" is עליו השלום and its feminine equivalent which translate as peace be unto him/her.

However, b'shalom is connected with the dead and in the Talmud it says one should not say "Lech b'shalom" to a friend, one should say "Lech l'shalom."

I often use b'shalom on non-Jewish forums because it reads better and in English letters it is less confusing.

Peter
Old 20-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Sister Rags

Very interesting, Peter. Thank you.
Old 31-07-2014, 05:21 PM
GreenApple

זכרונה לברכה - Zichrona le-bracha > female
this is after a woman passed away, the translation means that by mentioning her name a blessing will go to her where she is.

שלום עליכם - Shalom alechem
this is what you can say to a person you see anyone, male or female.
it is plural because you actually say it to too angels beside the person.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Sister Rags

Interesting, GA. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Rags
Interesting, GA. Thanks.

You're presuming that the explanations are the only correct explanations.

L'shalom,

Peter
Old 20-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Seeker

One explanation has it that when Joseph was sold into slavery, his brothers told him "lech b’shalom", or "Go in peace" as he was carried away by the merchants. It implied that they did not expect to see him again and some believe it was equivalent to them saying "go to hell".

In Berakhot 64a, we are instructed to use the salutation b'shalom to those who are dead or close to death, whereas the salutation for the living is 'l'shalom'
Old 25-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Seeker

Well as an Israeli Jewish I simply can't agree with the "l'shalom" alone as a word of greeting.

you can say things like Shalom Alechem, Kol tuv, B'vracha, and it will sound much better and understandable to the Jewish community around the world.
Old 26-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original
Well as an Israeli Jewish I simply can't agree with the "l'shalom" alone as a word of greeting.

you can say things like Shalom Alechem, Kol tuv, B'vracha, and it will sound much better and understandable to the Jewish community around the world.

True, you can use all of the above, but l'shalom works as well. As I noted before the Talmud, Moed Katan 29a reads -

Said Rabbi Levy Bar Chita: Anyone who leaves the company of the dead should not say לך לשלום but should say לך בשלום. One who leaves the company of the living should not say לך בשלום (Go B’shalom) but לך לשלום. As it is written: And you should go to your ancestors B’shalom. One who leaves the company of the living should not say go B’shalom but go L’shalom. For David said to Avshalom Go B’shalom and he went and was hanged and executed later on. Jethro said to Moses Go L’shalom and he (Moses) went and prospered.

L'shalom,

Peter