Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 15-09-2020, 03:59 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterRose
Heretic schmeretic. There's still literal witch hunting going on. The Pentecostals even had some of the folks from overseas preaching at their own churches here in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_witch-hunts#:~:text=Witch%2Dhunts%20are%20practiced%20to day,%2C%20and%20Sub%2DSaharan%20Africa.

Here is an article about Helen Ukpabio who visited US Pentecostal churches because they invited her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/us/22beliefs.html

Here is the wiki page about her:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Ukpabio

And I think there is a much more subtle version of discrimination by certain people that label themselves as Christians - against Gnostics, Buddhists, and the like.
Old 15-09-2020, 04:05 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Did Jesus teach that people should be burnt at the stake? No. So where did you get the idea that the ones doing the burning were Christians?

I was wondering, why is it you have so much 'love' for Christians but hardly none for Jews? Is that being out of balance?

https://www.history.com/topics/religion/inquisition

I do agree that no one following Jesus's inner teachings would do this, but I think that this is the same point being made here today by Soul Seeker, ketzer, and others - that it's not the name, label or literal belief system, or parroting of words - that makes one a Christian, it's the inner works and nobility/knowings that determine whether one is really close to God or not.
Old 15-09-2020, 04:10 AM
janielee

Quote:
Those that follow Jesus, can you describe one subtle ways they attack and punish the enemies of the lord today?

If they are true followers of Jesus, then you should be able to find in Jesus' teaching at how they can do this.

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...136201&page=33

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...65&postcount=3

They do it from their own will.

JL
Old 15-09-2020, 04:11 AM
janielee

I honor Jesus's teachings and honor all that which brings Love and Light into another's heart. There are some great Christian followers on this forum, and they also visit sometimes. I don't care much for peoples' labels, only their actions, thoughts and deeds. Judging from posters like ketzer, Amilius777, Molearner, Dan_SF and others who seem more knowledgeable about the religion, there is much good and worthy in the Christian teachings capable of outreach and inner change.

JL
Old 15-09-2020, 04:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
https://www.history.com/topics/religion/inquisition

I do agree that no one following Jesus's inner teachings would do this, but I think that this is the same point being made here today by Soul Seeker, ketzer, and others - that it's not the name, label or literal belief system, or parroting of words - that makes one a Christian, it's the inner works and nobility/knowings that determine whether one is really close to God or not.

Those that do follow the teachings of Jesus, do you think they rejoice in the words that some might claim to be extremely negative that are labeled at them coupled with untruths?

For example, accusing followers of Jesus of burning people at a stake. Jesus never taught that. People should realize that is a lie. The ones who did those things were 'wolves in sheep clothings'.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 15-09-2020, 04:15 AM
Master
Quote:
I have nothing against Jesus's teachings and honor all that which brings Love and Light into another's heart. There are some great Christian followers on this forum, and they also visit sometimes. I don't care much for peoples' labels, only their actions, thoughts and deeds.

JL

janielee,

I never noticed your posts reflecting that viewpoint about Christians.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 15-09-2020, 04:18 AM
Master
Quote:
And I think there is a much more subtle version of discrimination by certain people that label themselves as Christians - against Gnostics, Buddhists, and the like.

It would be interesting if you could explain what you wrote.

Old 15-09-2020, 07:00 AM
Master
Quote:
janielee,

I never noticed your posts reflecting that viewpoint about Christians.

Do you need to notice ?
Old 15-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Master

Quote:
It would be interesting if you could explain what you wrote.

I think this is the area of contention you find in religions, the dynamics of beliefs and world-views that spills over into politics and becomes messy and then there's belief in spiritual warfare and community identity and truths held sacred and historical grievances all mixed together that lead to points of division. But there's also a unifying truth that can counterbalance all that
Old 15-09-2020, 12:05 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Did Jesus teach that people should be burnt at the stake? No. So where did you get the idea that the ones doing the burning were Christians?

I was wondering, why is it you have so much 'love' for Christians but hardly none for Jews? Is that being out of balance?

Balance? John, let's be real here, it is not balance you are seeking.

Did I say they were Christian's John? No, you are assuming they are Christians. I simply stated they were burning people at the stake for not following Orthodox Christianity. You do that quite a bit John. You assume something yourself, and then attack another for that assumption. I am starting to think you have an identity crisis. Perhaps I should be calling you Johns. But to be fair, we all know the inquisitors made the claim to be the 'true Christians', the ones who truly are the 'followers of Jesus's teachings'.

Some like to differentiate between the true and not true Christians. Yet it is just a label, has no copyright that I know of, and can be placed upon any product one wishes to. Johns, you can’t attack one for a slight on any Christain as an insult to all Christians, yet then turn right around and argue those Christians over there are not ‘true followers of Jesus’s teachings’, and not ‘real Christains’, that would just be double talk.

I actually suggested that the one being burned could even be a better example of one following Jesus’s teachings. Why is it Johns, you don’t come to their defence?

You assume others must mean "follower of Jesus's teachings" when they say Christian, and then you want to correct them for your assumptions. I have no illusion that all who call themselves Christian follow the teachings of Jesus. You on the other hand are quick to attack any who suggest otherwise.

You do seem a bit confused Johns. Usually you are attacking me as someone who doesn't like all Christians if I say anything against the actions or teachings of any who claim the label. Yet suddenly you are attacking me for having too much love for Christians, and bizarrely and out of thin air, also attacking me as not having enough love for Jews.

What is your objective here Johns? Are you trying to explore the ins and outs of Jesus's teachings, trying to understand Jesus, or defend Christianity, trying to understand God, or defend God? Or perhaps Johns, are you trying to defend what great, knowledgeable, and wise theologians Johns are? If you are, then though I am not much of a theologian myself, I must say that you seem to be flailing about a bit here. Spinning and misrepresenting people's words and making things up out of thin air are cute debate tricks. They often work quite well if your audience is not paying too close attention, but if one is having a discussion, all they accomplish is to make you seem desperate to score points when the score is not even supposed to be kept.

I think a free and open discussion is a good way to learn about and from, what others think about, just about any subject. Yet there will always be those who bring their egos to the table and want to be seen as ‘the winner’ and will engage in all sorts of tactics to reach that goal. But at a certain point, it just becomes trolling, gets too annoying to engage with, and is just not worth it. Though I may joke about being a masochist, my tolerance for pain is more of a short term thing, in the long term, I am a bit of a wimp and can’t stand it. I think I am reaching my threshold in dealing with the two of you, and don’t see any real gain for my pain.

Originally Posted by ketzer
Well thank you John.

Coming from a man of your countless interesting adventures, stunning depth of knowledge and skills, and many celebrated achievements, I can't think of a higher compliment to be given.

Yes John, I was not there when the latest heretic was burned to protect the faith, this is why I included the word "likely" in the sentence. But perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps the person being burned alive for not following Orthodox Christianity would have their own version of Christianity that they follow, hence their crime of heresy. Perhaps in their understanding and interpretation of Jesus's teachings, they have found the strength to love their neighbor, even as their neighbor is torturing them to death, just as Jesus did. For most of us this is not likely, but for others who knows? Many might say they would have such strength, but I suppose it is easier said then done.