Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 05-12-2023, 04:06 AM
Pathfinder

Is there any point in comparing yourself to others?

Hi everyone. I personally believe that if you compare yourself to another person you will always fail. This is how I came to the question if there is any point in comparing yourself to somebody else.
Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:18 PM
Ascender

Hello ReturningMoon.

Good question imo. Lots of interlocking aspects, considerations, musings, etc. which play their part in helping us to understand our own behaviour as well as the behaviour of others.

An aspect coming to mind as an initial response is examination of the use of relative measure--one compared to another--in pecking orders, dominance, the seeking of personal significance etc. and the division/s which that inevitably creates.

Really barely scratching the surface.

Hope the thread runs,---it is a subject close to home for all of us I think--the need for affirmation of our own existence is powerful, and whilst love and compassionate support can and do provide for that need (a need especially requiring to be met in early life)--in the event that such need is not met then the mind contrives other means in an attempt to compensate.

Cheers. X
Old 05-12-2023, 03:59 PM
Guide

We all have different paths to follow.
Imagine if we were all the same,life would be very dull.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:46 PM
Master
There are things that are generalized which are said to be “common” among most human beings. Medical doctors compare human beings and they come up with what they call “the average human being.” Scientific research compares human beings; also to find the average, or the effect on the majority. Religion also compares people.

Living in a democracy means majority rules, which basically says people of like mind, or sometimes called “public opinion” dominates. But you were asking specifically about the individual. All through life, starting very young, people experience peer group pressure, and because most people want to fit in they usually compare and copy other people.

The really creative people always think outside of the box; they do not follow the crowd or compare themselves with other people. Society often pushes people to conform to the masses, and those who do not are often thought of as weird or eccentric. It takes a lot of courage just to be yourself. We all want people to relate to us but that does not mean we have to be like other people.

Human beings have more in common than they do that is different, but each person also has their own uniqueness. Biologically we inherent our parents genes, which do influence us; we also inherent emotional mannerisms from our parents but that does not mean we have to be like our parents. Personally, I do not believe in group-think or following the crowd. Maybe I just should have said that from the beginning.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:42 PM
Administrator
I think at some point in our lives that we do compare ourselves to others
To me its A human trait.
Look at young girls wanting to be like their Idols so they compare themselves
Me I have always followed my own path I follow my own way

Namaste
Old 06-12-2023, 08:28 AM
Master

There's no point at all, but I feel we all do it as Native points out. Peer pressure , looking skinny , a certain type, and of course we can all feel inferior sometimes.
I'm the same as Native too in as much as I never followed a trend , a fashion, I did my own thing.
As an example , when "ra - ra skirts " were all the big thing , on a night out all the young women were wearing them. I never owned one . I would go out it the most beautiful slim fitting , sleeveless black vintage dress from a charity shop. It was an original and had 3 slim tiers of black lace around the bottom and without fail I drew attention wherever I went in it .
It was something that Audrey Hepburn would have worn and all the "fashionable " lasses would demand to know where I got it haha.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:58 PM
Dude111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningMoon
Hi everyone. I personally believe that if you compare yourself to another person you will always fail.
Yes and I hated it when my mom used to compare me to others..... She was mad I didnt do what others do,etc.........

I have my own mind,I am not a puppet!!!
Old 08-12-2023, 12:43 PM
Knower

A quick response......

Useless to compare yourself as a unity with others, but useful to derive value(s) from what you like or don't like about another...

If values come into play..... that's what I think.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:17 PM
Knower

I don't think there is much point comparing oneself to others, because it's usually in relation to perceived inequalities where you're the one lacking, and usually in a material and physical sense. That's very unhealthy.

I find, however, that there's a huge point in comparing oneself with oneself, which is a more spiritual and therefore positive endeavour. For example, one could ask how they compare with themselves from five years prior. How they've evolved, how they've grown stronger, areas where improvement is still needed, and areas where improvement has occurred, and so on. That's very healthy.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningMoon
Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Comparisons are a major source of suffering. Related to unfulfilled desires, the ''have nots'' and the ''needs''. To see someone else have what you don't have but want. To see someone else do the same as you and get a better result.