Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 22-10-2020, 04:58 AM
Pathfinder

Is There A Right Or Wrong Way To Meditate??

Good evening everyone, I haven't had a chance to really concentrate on the forums here since back in the spring. I hope that all of you are doing well, I have meditated a few times in the recent years of my life. And what I see in my mind's eye are what looks like white clouds. Mostly, the color is white but at times I have seen some faint colors of pink, yellow, maybe blue. It is as if I am looking into the sky on a beautiful, summer, sunny day. It appears like clouds that change their shape and I keep seeing a light as if something is coming thru. But then nothing comes of it, am I not meditating the right way?
Should I try again? One thing I do remember is when I was meditating the last time one of the shapes that appeared in white was a Cross or what one would call a crucifix. Can anyone here shed some light on this? I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions that someone here could give to me. Have a good night and be well, thank you.

Respectively,

LilyTeal16
Old 22-10-2020, 05:19 AM
janielee

You will get many, many answers, LilyTeal16

In my way of seeing, yes try again. Always trust. https://zmm.org/teachings-and-traini...-instructions/

There are different possibilities but a basic meditation is effective and proper. Visions can come and go but what remains?

Blessings to you and yours,
JL
Old 22-10-2020, 11:13 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Here's a quote from the man considered the Father of American psychology:

"The faculty of voluntarily bringing back a wandering attention over and over again, is the very root of judgement, character, and will. No one is compos sui (Master of himself) if he have it not. An education which should improve this faculty would be the education par excellence (quintessential)." ~ William James

One of the most basic meditation techniques - mindfulness of breathe - has as its only purpose the attending of breathe. Observe breathe and eventually breathe will no longer be in evidence. One will be caught up in thought. The past, the future, likes, dislikes, anticipations, etc... At the point one becomes aware of this, gently let go of thinking and bring attention back to breathe and without judgement. And the last part - without judgement - means don't judge yourself as being lousy at meditation. That's just more thinking. With practice distractions will become less frequent.

Any and all experience aside from sensation of breathe is a distraction to be gently released once noticed, returning attention to breathe.

Here's a solid guide to this basic technique.

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/meditation/Shamatha.pdf
Old 22-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Seeker
Watch the movie, "The Dhamma Brothers" - I think you'll find it on Netflix. It's about a fascinating experiment teaching meditation in prisons, it's very informative and quite inspiring.
Old 22-10-2020, 11:57 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewaustin
Watch the movie, "The Dhamma Brothers" - I think you'll find it on Netflix. It's about a fascinating experiment teaching meditation in prisons, it's very informative and quite inspiring.

It's available for free on YouTube. "The Dhamma Brothers Vipasanna Meditation" https://youtu.be/phHib5VaCeE

By the way, the guide I posted is a beginner technique of Vipasanna - Shamatha/Clam Abiding. Basically mindfulness of breathe. It's generally considered a basic technique to focus and concentrate mind and a prerequisite for more advanced techniques.

Here'a a favorite of mine. https://youtu.be/5TeWvf-nfpA?list=PL...ydVp1WpVnPNokg

"Becoming Conscious: The Science of Mindfulness"

Many of us go through daily life on autopilot, without being fully aware of our conscious experience.

Neuroscientists Richard Davidson and Amishi Jha join clinical mindfulness expert Jon Kabat-Zinn to explore the role of consciousness in mental and physical health, how we can train the mind to become more flexible and adaptable, and what cutting-edge neuroscience is revealing about the transformation of consciousness through mindfulness and contemplative practice.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013
The New York Academy of Sciences

This event is part of The Emerging Science of Consciousness Series, which brings together leading experts from various fields to discuss how the latest research is challenging our understanding of the very nature and function of consciousness in our daily lives.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:57 PM
Seeker
Wonderful, thanks for the link!
Old 22-10-2020, 04:54 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy

"The faculty of voluntarily bringing back a wandering attention over and over again, is the very root of judgement, character, and will. No one is compos sui (Master of himself) if he have it not. An education which should improve this faculty would be the education par excellence (quintessential)." ~ William James

One of the most basic meditation techniques - mindfulness of breathe - has as its only purpose the attending of breathe. Observe breathe and eventually breathe will no longer be in evidence. One will be caught up in thought. The past, the future, likes, dislikes, anticipations, etc... At the point one becomes aware of this, gently let go of thinking and bring attention back to breathe and without judgement. And the last part - without judgement - means don't judge yourself as being lousy at meditation. That's just more thinking. With practice distractions will become less frequent.

Any and all experience aside from sensation of breathe is a distraction to be gently released once noticed, returning attention to breathe.

Thanks! .......
Old 23-10-2020, 03:59 AM
Master
There is no wrong way to meditate.

There are however many ways to PRACTICE meditation incorrectly.

You did not indicate what kind of meditation you are practicing.

It does not sound like you have spent a lot of time practicing meditation.

It takes time to get beyond the practice to actual meditation (just being, not doing). I encourage you to continue.
Old 23-10-2020, 04:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy

Here's a solid guide to this basic technique.

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/meditation/Shamatha.pdf

"mindfulness of breathe"
brings to my mind that of seeing my breath ripple through my Aura. I suspect most people have not seen their Aura let alone see how it changes as you breath in to your Aura.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 23-10-2020, 04:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTeal16
Good evening everyone, I haven't had a chance to really concentrate on the forums here since back in the spring. I hope that all of you are doing well, I have meditated a few times in the recent years of my life. And what I see in my mind's eye are what looks like white clouds. Mostly, the color is white but at times I have seen some faint colors of pink, yellow, maybe blue. It is as if I am looking into the sky on a beautiful, summer, sunny day. It appears like clouds that change their shape and I keep seeing a light as if something is coming thru. But then nothing comes of it, am I not meditating the right way?
Should I try again? One thing I do remember is when I was meditating the last time one of the shapes that appeared in white was a Cross or what one would call a crucifix. Can anyone here shed some light on this? I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions that someone here could give to me. Have a good night and be well, thank you.

Respectively,

LilyTeal16

I assume you were meditating with your eyes closed.

I generally meditate with my eyes open.
You might be surprised what you can see with your eyes open.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.