Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 08-02-2021, 07:18 AM
Pathfinder

Progression to Mediumship

I'm not sure I'm in the right thread here, but someone will tell me if I've got it wrong, no doubt!

I have attended mediumship development classes on two different occasions, many years ago now, the first I had to stop attending due to the fact that I had to move house. At the following address I started attending development classes in my new town. However, I stopped going there too, as I could never convince myself that what I was 'receiving' was actually genuine communication, and not just my imagination. What really frightened me off was when the course leader started making plans for us attendees to try a platform session at the local spiritualist church! How scary was that idea!

Anyway, my point really is that while I still do have episodes of clairsentience, I don't think that level of spirit awareness is enough to give me confidence to pass on any messages to a possible recipient.

I have come to the conclusion that mediumship is congenital - you are born with it. - Or you aren't. All of the books I have read by mediums (working in the UK, anyway) are those folk who obviously had the gift of second sight from childhood.

I am hoping I will have some replies to contradict my theory!
Old 08-02-2021, 09:08 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
I'm not sure I'm in the right thread here, but someone will tell me if I've got it wrong, no doubt!

I have attended mediumship development classes on two different occasions, many years ago now, the first I had to stop attending due to the fact that I had to move house. At the following address I started attending development classes in my new town. However, I stopped going there too, as I could never convince myself that what I was 'receiving' was actually genuine communication, and not just my imagination. What really frightened me off was when the course leader started making plans for us attendees to try a platform session at the local spiritualist church! How scary was that idea!

Anyway, my point really is that while I still do have episodes of clairsentience, I don't think that level of spirit awareness is enough to give me confidence to pass on any messages to a possible recipient.

I have come to the conclusion that mediumship is congenital - you are born with it. - Or you aren't. All of the books I have read by mediums (working in the UK, anyway) are those folk who obviously had the gift of second sight from childhood.

I am hoping I will have some replies to contradict my theory!

It's certainly arguable that mediums are born and not made but I'd guess there are few, if any, instances of children being accomplished mediums. Competence in using natural attributes develop as individuals grow to adulthood and competence in emerging adult mediumship develops with practice, exposure and experience.

Awareness and sensitivity - and the vitally important aspect of how to handle them as a medium - are parts of personal development. You may be bang-on right that your personal level of sensitivity is insufficient and there's one easy way to test that idea - seek out another development group and sit for development.

There are no guarantees but over the period of the course an experienced medium will be able to assess your potential for further development. That's what development work is about.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:42 PM
Pathfinder

Thank you for your comments bobjob.

Unsurprising there are no accomplished child mediums, even the natural psychics amongst the young don't get any training!

My grand daughter, when aged 4, started seeing discarnate beings - my mum usually. She took the appearance of spirits perfectly naturally but unfortunately my daughter suppressed little Bea's gift, telling her to 'stop talking nonsense!' Such a shame, but maybe the gift will return to her when she's old enough to escape her mother's negative (and disbelieving) influence.

During the lockdown periods I have got back into the habit of meditating - 3 or 4 times a week. No discernible spiritual presence at these times and no movement from my amethyst pendulum, which used to swing wildly when meditating during development sessions.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:30 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
Thank you for your comments bobjob.

Unsurprising there are no accomplished child mediums, even the natural psychics amongst the young don't get any training!

My point was, though, that even those who ARE naturally sensitive from being very young still need support to develop their attributes. Just as with yourself even though you're older.

Quote:
My grand daughter, when aged 4, started seeing discarnate beings - my mum usually. She took the appearance of spirits perfectly naturally but unfortunately my daughter suppressed little Bea's gift, telling her to 'stop talking nonsense!' Such a shame, but maybe the gift will return to her when she's old enough to escape her mother's negative (and disbelieving) influence.

It's always sad when adults deliberately suppress a child's sensitivity but as you say it may re-surface later when your granddaughter is no longer under that influence. Parents are no worse disbelievers than non-parents! They may not have any belief in survival but some may also just be frightened because they don't understand.

Quote:
During the lockdown periods I have got back into the habit of meditating - 3 or 4 times a week. No discernible spiritual presence at these times and no movement from my amethyst pendulum, which used to swing wildly when meditating during development sessions.

It may be the group situation that helps you.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:39 PM
HW, you're in the right place.
I don't know enough to comment, tho.
I tell people they aren't in a good place, so that they will simply get more views, elsewhere, btw.
Like, we have a section "Mediumship". More would read your post there.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 09-02-2021, 08:02 AM
Pathfinder

Thank you, bobjob and Miss Hepburn.

After my lack of contact during recent meditations I had been wondering if I was either 'doing it wrong' or not making contact for other reasons. Then, MH, I re-read your 'signature' ;.....Meditate unceasingly, that you quickly behold yourself as the infinite essence'.

I do believe that each one of us holds the infinite essence within, but as a struggling student in the university of life I can't see myself being able to banish the 'bundle of flesh and bones' to allow that light to be the dominant presence in my being.

However I'm here in a different thread (Thank you, Native Spirit) and already I am diversifying.....
Old 13-02-2021, 04:57 PM
Experiencer
Please also Note

if you wearing certain crystals these can also block spiritual energies i also wear amythiest crystal for proctection at time i noted if i removed my amythiest crystal from around my neck and put it away from my body back of my chair in my case by a wall this was the onl;y time the mediumship worked for me spirit enery is very subtle but it will not block angel or you guides as your guides are in your auric energy anyway they seem to be neutral and not affected but my crystal are for blocking negative influences that i have been affected by
Old 13-02-2021, 05:17 PM
Experiencer
Happy Wanderer

Im sorry Happy Wanderer my eyesites not as good as it used to plus the screen very bright have wear sun glasses sometime mediums can be born with mediumship abilties but that does mean mean they want to persue it all it means for those people who not born like it they have to work harder to acheive there aims to be of service to the spirit world im such a person and i was not ready till i got to a certain age yes it can be nerve racking to stand in front of fifty to a hundred people not wanting to fail if you are atruely open person and th3eres nothing coming forward all you can do is say sorry folks spirit are not operating through me tonight and dont feel bad about it honesty is best policy it will mean you have a clear consiouness
Old 15-02-2021, 04:10 PM
Experiencer
It normally takes many years to develope mediumship normally it depends how advanced you are plus its wrong of your session leader top put you in that position unless it was for practice to give you confidence it is done in the open circle group usually your guides will let you now when your ready in one form or an another
Old 15-02-2021, 06:08 PM
Deactivated Account
My guess would be that those who carry out development group/circle work will find a mixed picture concerning those they support.

Some will advance rapidly, others will progress at a steadier pace and for some others it may be a longer time before the group leader considers them ready to undertake public work.

It's always possible the leader may misjudge when an individual is ready but if platform work is to be undertaken then it has to begin somewhere. There are a number of ways and churches may approach the situation in different ways but always with the same intention - to help budding mediums the best way they can to blossom.

One's spirit guide may well be able to provide suitable guidance about when public work should be carried out but it may not be that simple for all mediums.

I must stress I'm referring to evidential mediumship in England/UK. I acknowledge the situation in other parts of the world may be very different.

Last edited by bobjob : 16-02-2021 at 07:14 AM.