Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 04-05-2021, 12:17 PM
Master
In the philosophy there are three aspects to knowing. 1) you just hear about or read dhamma teaching 2) You understand it intellectually 3) You look into it to find out the way it might be true. In that way no aspect of knowing is discarded and there is no philosophy in Buddhism without practice. Practice in integral to the philosophy - it's not like 2 different things. Hence whilst discussing this philosophically, practice is concurrent.

I have never heard of a school that does only theory or only practice, and maybe some schools lean a bit more one way than the other, but typically there's serious practice coupled with daily theoretical discourses. I think the theory enhances understanding when you see for yourself how it applies to meditation. I don't mean 'answers' like what is a jhana or something. It's something like, by understanding what meditation is fundamentally means you automatically know how to meditate. This issue of 'how' is a bit tricky, because it means one wants to to know what to do, but if you understand it fundamentally, you 'get it' already. Then you can tell if a method is fundamentally sound or not and easily sort the chaff from the hay.

On the two wings mentioned: I don't know where 'knowledge and intuition' comes from, but it's common in Buddhism to say the 'two wings' are awareness and compassion, awareness and equanimity., or wisdom and compassion. Wisdom and compassion sounds like a nice end goal to me. I've never heard it said 'knowledge and intuition' until today, but the points in the quote were pretty good nonetheless.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
In the philosophy there are three aspects to knowing. 1) you just hear about or read dhamma teaching 2) You understand it intellectually 3) You look into it to find out the way it might be true.

continuing with that:

4) you have insights and experiences revealing the truths and realities the teachings pointed towards. 5) the true path and practices become known to you 6) you incorporate or weave the now experientially known truths and ways of being into your moment to moment daily life. 7) over time we deepen our understanding and practice and commitment to living in truth until the new way to be has fully replaced the old way
Old 04-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Wisdom and compassion sounds like a nice end goal to me. I've never heard it said 'knowledge and intuition' until today, but the points in the quote were pretty good nonetheless.

i think wisdom and compassion is a wonderful way to say it because it includes morality and goodness. goodness goes hand in hand with right practice and right understanding. one simply cannot be practicing correctly if one is developing pride and arrogance and feelings of superiority to others. the correct practices and path leads to love, empathy, compassion, humbleness, selflessness, and non-judgement.

the more awareness we have of the way things actually are, and of what we are and do, (knowledge or understanding or wisdom) the more choices we have in this now moment as to where we have our attention or don't have our attention. and different energies and perceptions and experiences flow depending on where our attention is focused or not focused.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:07 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
i think wisdom and compassion is a wonderful way to say it

It's the only way
You can't have one without the other, the Bird can't fly unless the two wings are in perfect balance.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Master
Wisdom and compassion are only words: if a person does not cultivate those qualities, it becomes almost an exercise in vanity.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 04-05-2021, 08:55 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Wisdom and compassion are only words: if a person does not cultivate those qualities, it becomes almost an exercise in vanity.

very true. i was thinking a person or ego or "I" can't have those qualities, the presence of ego or identification as a separate self obscures those qualities, the qualities of the divine or our true nature. : "i" surrendering the "i" takes wisdom and brings compassion.

"We are too ego-centered. The ego-shell in which we live is the hardest thing to outgrow… We are, however, given many chances to break through this shell"
Zen Buddhist sage D.T. Suzuki
Old 04-05-2021, 09:09 PM
Ascender

so in a way, we don't cultivate them, we put away the false ego centered self, and find they were always there.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
And yet The Buddha taught the ' Middle Path '
A little bit of each is the perfect way imo, Intellect and Intuition.
“Middle Path”.
So much Wisdom and Depth and Advice for the practice in those 2 words.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM
Master

Book1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
very true. i was thinking a person or ego or "I" can't have those qualities,

Searching all directions with your awareness you find no one dearer than YOURSELF.
In the same way, others are dear to themselves.So you shouldn't hurt others if you love YOURSELF....

Ragan Sutta...

A perfect Teaching which shows the function of a Healthy Ego..

Was it your ' Ego ' that thought some cannot have the qualities of ' Wisdom and compassion ' ?
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
“Middle Path”.
So much Wisdom and Depth and Advice for the practice in those 2 words.

Yes I agree, Two Wings in balance can soar.....