Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 20-01-2021, 11:28 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Not the same thing at all and if you'd looked up kamma-vipaka you'd see the difference for yourself.

https://www.londonbuddhistvihara.org...a-and-rebirth/
Another couple of Swamis on YouTube would say the same thing as I did about karma, another couple of Swamis on YouTube would say something different again and none of them the source. If the question is one of who is right and wrong, what does that tell you?

It's exactly the same thing. From my post:

Five factors of Karma.

1 - It must be in a living body
2 - There must be a sense of doership, agency
3 - There must be a sense of enjoying or suffering
4 - There must be a sense of moral obligation, including choice
5 - If all these things are present then there's a Cosmic Result, AKA Karma

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama

Kama (Sanskrit, Pali; Devanagari: काम; IAST: kāma) means "desire, wish, longing" in Hindu and Buddhist literature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vip%C4%81ka

Vipāka (Sanskrit and Pāli) is a Buddhist term for the ripening or maturation of karma (Pāli kamma), or intentional actions.

Kama is points 1-4 from my post (desire, wish, longing, intentional actions)

Vipaka is point 5 (ripening or maturation of karma/kamma aka Cosmic Result)

From the link you cited:

https://www.londonbuddhistvihara.org...a-and-rebirth/

The Pali word Kamma (Karma in Sanskrit) literally means action or doing. The belief in karma and reincarnation was prevalent in India before the days of the Buddha. However, it was the Buddha who explained in detail and formulated the doctrine of Kamma and Rebirth as found in the ancient Buddhist texts.

So the Buddha took Karma from his background (Vedic) and fleshed it out, and in turn that fleshing out was adapted fully by Hinduism. replacing the previous shallow understanding of Karma. Karma Yoga is the Yoga of action or doing, and its purpose is to break the cycle of rebirth by cessation of the maturation of Karma through Self-realization/Enlightenment.
Old 20-01-2021, 11:49 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
There's a plethora of human understanding of this but all roads lead to Rome as they say and it really does come down to one thing - knowing theyself as you say. Regardless of what you read, you choose what to read or not and what to believe or not. I think that at the end of the day the questions are the same - "Who am I?" and "Where is my place in the Universe?" Most of us - Spiitual or not - wouldn't mind those answers.

Max Ehrman was of European descent so I'm guessing his full name would be Maximillian. Nothing to do with Greeks though.

Both vibrations and karma mean different things to different people but what most don't understand is that because they're here - regardless of hos Spiritual they want to think they are - they vibrate at the Schumann Resosnance the same as the birds, the bees and the bugs. And the non-Spiritual. Vibration is another word that's been ported from elsewhere and brought into Spirituality, only to be redefined for the sake of agenda. Karma has gone the same way, sadly, and is often not much more than reward/punishement/victim mentality. Good luck with your efforts.

Thanks for your thoughts and insight, and thanks for the wish of good luck on my efforts, although I don't really have any efforts of my own, mostly I do nothing at all. I have nothing on the to-do list and nothing important I have to do, because it doesn't matter at the end of the day or in the grand scheme of things whether you do anything or not, so I just spend time in nature, and try to share knowledge along the way that may help others, in the hopes it can make the world a better place. There is a quote along the lines of "all of man's problems stem from the inability to sit still quietly doing nothing" and I find it funny because I sometimes do that all day and not get bothered by it one bit. It's actually an excellent way to gain perspective, relax and let all your concerns and worries dissolve away.
Old 20-01-2021, 12:34 PM
JustASimpleGuy

From "The Song of the Sannyasin" ~ Swami Vivekananda

https://allpoetry.com/Song-of-the-Sannyasin

‘Who sows must reap,’ they say, ‘and cause must bring
The sure effect; good, good; bad, bad; and none
Escape the law. But whoso wears a form
Must wear the chain.’ Too true; but far beyond
Both name and form is Atman, ever free.
Know thou art That, Sannyasin bold! Say –
‘Om tat sat, Om!’

Tying this to a previous post if one knows Thou art That then one does not wear a form and thus escapes the chain (wheel of Karma).

https://krishna.org/what-is-action-a...t-is-inaction/

“One who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction, is intelligent among men, and he is in the transcendental position, although engaged in all sorts of activities.” (Bhagavad Gita 4.18)
Old 20-01-2021, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
“One who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction, is intelligent among men, and he
is in the transcendental position, although engaged in all sorts of activities.” (Bhagavad Gita 4.18)
I told you..stop talking about me!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 20-01-2021, 03:01 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I told you..stop talking about me!

Hey, that was Sri Krishna and I'm just quoting Him.
Old 20-01-2021, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspark
Go within, to go without :)

- All I can say is that I like this quote
Old 20-01-2021, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Totally agree with this, we live in duality so there are always 2 ends of the spectrum:
Dark & Light, Positive & Negative, Male & Female, Up & Down, Left & Right, Hot & Cold, etc.

But there is a middle ground in between each of those, a central point of balance or neutrality. However, all of it is just a matter of perspective because what one person might perceive as bad, another might see as good or in-between.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The glass can be either half empty or half full, or you could just see it as a glass with water in it.

- Again I like these ones as well
Old 21-01-2021, 10:55 AM
Pathfinder

Here is another quote you might like:
"If the principle fits that you are divine, then your will be done at once..."

And another:
"If everything is in the all, and the all is in everything, then everything is perfect"

Which we can put together in an affirmation like so:
"I am divine and all is perfect!"
Old 24-01-2021, 09:45 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts and insight, and thanks for the wish of good luck on my efforts, although I don't really have any efforts of my own, mostly I do nothing at all. I have nothing on the to-do list and nothing important I have to do, because it doesn't matter at the end of the day or in the grand scheme of things whether you do anything or not, so I just spend time in nature, and try to share knowledge along the way that may help others, in the hopes it can make the world a better place. There is a quote along the lines of "all of man's problems stem from the inability to sit still quietly doing nothing" and I find it funny because I sometimes do that all day and not get bothered by it one bit. It's actually an excellent way to gain perspective, relax and let all your concerns and worries dissolve away.
There is no such thing as nothing, and doing nothing is doing something. Sitting doing nothing is doing nothing, it's releasing your consciousness form all the chatter of the monley-mind that generates thoughts from nowhere. Spiritually it's neti-neti, which means 'not this, not this'. Spiritually where you're at is the desirable place to bem, it's being IN the world and not OF the world. Yes it is a good way to gain perspective, you can't see out of the puddle of mud when you're mired in it.
Old 24-01-2021, 11:03 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
From "The Song of the Sannyasin" ~ Swami Vivekananda

https://allpoetry.com/Song-of-the-Sannyasin

‘Who sows must reap,’ they say, ‘and cause must bring
The sure effect; good, good; bad, bad; and none
Escape the law. But whoso wears a form
Must wear the chain.’ Too true; but far beyond
Both name and form is Atman, ever free.
Know thou art That, Sannyasin bold! Say –
‘Om tat sat, Om!’

Tying this to a previous post if one knows Thou art That then one does not wear a form and thus escapes the chain (wheel of Karma).

https://krishna.org/what-is-action-a...t-is-inaction/

Frankly the whole discussion of what karma is or isn't is a mess. There seems to be any number of definitions and models of what karma is or isn't from any number of gurus and swamis, I unintenionally listened to another two that I hadn't heard before just prior to reading this post. I'm not going to argue right or wrong because that's down to whose interpretation you choose. If you started a thread on karma every expert would have something different to say and much of it different. Sometimes it comes down to mentality not beliefs.

Still the questions remain unanswered as far as I'm concerned. If within Spirituallity there is no time, how does that affect karma? In science all of time is happening all of the time, and all of time affacts all of time all of the time. How does it affect karma when effect can precede cause? Since it's one's own perceptual reality that decides if anything is good or bad, what then?

Quote:
“One who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction, is intelligent among men, and he is in the transcendental position, although engaged in all sorts of activities.” (Bhagavad Gita 4.18)
Be IN the world but not OF it, which is where this discussion began when I tongue-in-cheek used quotes that said much the same thing but in a more contemporary and easier to understand way. It's one thing to say that one dooes not wear a form and therefore is free of karma or that Thou art That, but sometimes those are of the form and Thou may not be That after all.

The wheel of karma is not the wheel or karma, the wheel of karma is the cycle of intention -> cause -> effect -> results -> results influencing intention - karma wrapped in kamma-vipaka wrapped in all things human. An interesting question is, did you go looking for that information or did it come to you?