Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > The Sanctuary

Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Lulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Brill Lulu - was just gonna post this exact link. He makes some astute observations here....God, I miss him.

Actually, I think Bill Hicks is a good lead into another person of interest - or persons of interest (a band)...

Tool

Hicks and Tool

Quote:
The progressive metal band Tool invited Hicks to open a number of concerts in its 1992 Lollapalooza appearances, where Hicks once asked the audience to look for a contact lens he had lost. Thousands of people complied.

Members of Tool felt that they and Hicks "were resonating similar concepts". Intending to raise awareness about Hicks's material and ideas, Tool dedicated their triple-platinum album Ænima (1996) to Hicks. Both the lenticular casing of the Ænima album packaging as well as the chorus of the title track "Ænema" make reference to a sketch from Hicks's Arizona Bay album, in which he contemplates the idea of Los Angeles falling into the Pacific Ocean. Ænima's final track, "Third Eye" contains samples from Hicks's Dangerous and Relentless albums.

An alternate version of the Ænima artwork shows a painting of Bill Hicks, calling him "Another Dead Hero," and mentions of Hicks are found both in the liner notes and on the record.

Tool might not be everyone's cup of tea (musically speaking), but those of us that love the band... love the band lol. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a 'middle ground' - they either become a part of your life or you disregard them entirely. I haven't met many people (though, there are a few out there) who 'casually' listen to Tool lol.

Tool - Undertow (Full Album)

Tool - Aenima (Full Album)

Tool - Lateralus (Full Album)

Tool - Parabola (Video)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Master
Knightofalbion thanks for your addition to Jung. It was funny how i came upon Jung, it was in highschool and the teacher gave us a list of 30 or so psychologists, and i chose Jung even though i had never heard of him, because i figured no one else would pick him. I thought he would be Chinese or Asian. It's funny because he is the one who coined the term 'synchronicity', and he would come to be one of, if not the biggest influence of any other psychologist i have read or studied. And it was sort of synchronistically how i came upon him in the first place.

Anyways, thanks everyone, for sharing some persons of interest.

Sound, nice touch with someone not famous.

Lulu - my friend used to play Aenima nearly every time we were in his car, i'be probably heard that album several hundreds of times through. I think Lateralus was my favorite from them, though i lost it. All i have now far as i know is Undertow. Unique band, Maynard is a talented guy.

And good call on comedians. I will go with Dave Chappelle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Chappelle

He turned down 50 million dollars because he didn't like the way his show was going. I always respected how real he kept it from an artistic integrity standpoint. And he threw a free block party with musicians and a concert. Sure he sold DVD's from it, but still a nice idea and project.

Here he is in a sketch as Puff Daddy. I think he nails the impression.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdC_EsIBOyw&feature=related
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Lulu

Quote:
And good call on comedians. I will go with Dave Chappelle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Chappelle

He turned down 50 million dollars because he didn't like the way his show was going. I always respected how real he kept it from an artistic integrity standpoint. And he threw a free block party with musicians and a concert. Sure he sold DVD's from it, but still a nice idea.

Here he is in a sketch as Puff Daddy. I think he nails the impression.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdC_E...eature=related

I was just watching a bunch of his interviews... mainly on the subject of the absurdity of fame... I love the guy... and I love a good conspiracy theorist (which he admits he is). He's got a lot of really interesting opinions/insights to share.

Those interviews led me to his 'For What It's Worth' special, which I just finished watching... literally 5 minutes ago lol. Hilarious!

He's awesome.

Oh, and PS... Undertow will always be my favourite. They integrate a lot of interesting things into their music. Here's something interesting about the drummer (Danny Carey),

Quote:
Carey has laid claim to various drumming techniques that use sacred geometric figures such as the unicursal hexagram. The final product is very recognizable, fluent drumming, although to him it is much more: the official Tool website claims that Danny uses drumming as a ritual similar to occult rituals, with purposes varying from spiritual exploration to "a gateway [which] summoned a daemon he has contained...that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within The Book of Lies". Another geometric reference from the website was the inclusion of Nothing in This Book Is True... by Bob Frissell on the band's recommended reading list, a book that deals with sacred geometry and the evolution of human consciousness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Carey
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu
I was just watching a bunch of his interviews... mainly on the subject of the absurdity of fame... I love the guy... and I love a good conspiracy theorist (which he admits he is). He's got a lot of really interesting opinions/insights to share.

Those interviews led me to his 'For What It's Worth' special, which I just finished watching... literally 5 minutes ago lol. Hilarious!

He's awesome.

Wow Lulu. Another coincidence eh? Anyways, yeah i love the interview of him on Beyond the Actors studio, or whatever it is called, with James Lipton. Probably the favorite one i've seen. His 'Killing me softly'is up there amongst the best standup i've ever seen or heard.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:52 AM
Lulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
Wow Lulu. Another 'coincidence' eh? Anyways, yeah i love the interview of him of Beyond the Actors studio, or whatever it is called, with James Lipton. Probably the favorite one i've seen. His 'Killing me softly'is up there amongst the best standup i've ever seen or heard.

Haha yeah. It actually all started with Bill Hicks... after amy and I were talking about him, I went watched some of my favourite videos of his... Bill Hicks led to George Carlin, Carlin to Russel Peters, and, finally, Peters to Chapelle... you know how YouTube is lol.

I think I'm all 'laughed out' for a few days!

I haven't seen his 'Killing Them Softly,' but I'll definitely check it out some time.

And yes, that Inside the Actor's Studio interview was a really good one... another good one was one he did with Oprah. I could listen to him talk all day. Fascinating guy, for sure.

Here's an excerpt from that interview (Inside the Actor's Studio) where he hints at things that are wrong with Hollywood,

Dave Chappelle - What's Wrong With Hollywood
Old 08-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu
Haha yeah. It actually all started with Bill Hicks... after amy and I were talking about him, I went watched some of my favourite videos of his... Bill Hicks led to George Carlin, Carlin to Russel Peters, and, finally, Peters to Chapelle... you know how YouTube is lol.

Yes, definitely know how one thing leads to another on Youtube. Have found some good new music that way before though.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Master
Yeah, this is horrible place for this thread. It will be on page 9 by Thursday.

That's ok, mods if you can think of a more appropriate place for it, be my guest. Otherwise, i have some more influential and inspirational people to give respects to, so i will bump it now and then.

As for now, i will do a double tribute, to 2 of the greatest assist men to ever play in the NBA. Magic Johnson & Steve Nash.

I do not personally know either of these guys, but i have a theory that there is a correlation between their character or personalities and the fact that they are known for their great passing. To my mind, there seems to be a generous quality to them, personality wise as well as basketball wise.

Magic is 4th all time in assists, and number 1 all time for APG (assists per game) at 11.2.

Nash is coincidentally 5th all time in assists, which i was not aware of before i made this thread, and i love that he is representing Canada and even B.C. in such a great way. He was a couple or few years ahead of us when i myself played basketball in highschool, and a good friend of mine always tells me of the story where Nash came up to a couple teammates from our team at the time and was nothing but gracious and friendly. Seems like a real character guy. Also the only Canadian NBA player to win MVP, he did it twice.

Both Steve Nash and Magic Johnson not only scored, assisted, they also elevated the players around them. They were and are true leaders. They also epitomize the age old maxim of the benefits of being a team player, and playing as a team. Teamwork in general really. And it is a thing of beauty to watch them play.

Magic handled all the adversity of HIV remarkably well, and was also a leader in bringing education to so many people who are persecuted, stigmatized and prejudiced against who suffer from the disease. He brought an awareness to the problem, but i can't imagine it was an easy road, he was forced out of the league when he contracted it because players refused to play against him. I am not saying i blame them necessarily, but that must have been tough for someone who loved to play the game so much.

Article with video inteview. ---> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/social-issues/endgame-aids-in-black-america/20-years-after-hiv-announcement-magic-johnson-emphasizes-i-am-not-cured/

And here is a documentary that had me in tears (just briefly, a couple of them lol, but yeah) the time when i watched it. It also happens to be a great documentary. About the Magic Johnson & Larry Bird rivalry & friendship. Very compelling, to me it was anyways. (love Larry too, btw)

Documentary ( 'A Courtship of Rivals') here ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtykEHPRO1Q&feature=related
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Master
I've found myself very drawn to Eleanor of Aquitaine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Aquitaine

Eleanor of Aquitaine
(French: Aliénor d’Aquitaine; Éléonore de Guyenne) (1122 or 1124 – 1 April 1204) was one of the wealthiest and most powerful women in Western Europe during the High Middle Ages. As well as being Duchess of Aquitaine in her own right, she was queen consort of France (1137–1152) and of England (1154–1189). She was the patroness of such literary figures as Wace, Benoît de Sainte-Maure, and Bernart de Ventadorn. She belonged to the French House of Poitiers, the Ramnulfids.
Eleanor succeeded her father, becoming Duchess of Aquitaine and Countess of Poitiers, and by extension, the most eligible bride in Europe, at the age of fifteen. Three months after her accession, she married Louis VII, son of her guardian, King Louis The Fat. As Queen of France, she participated in the unsuccessful Second Crusade. Soon after the Crusade, Eleanor sought an annulment of her marriage[1] but was rejected by Pope Eugene III.[2] However, after the birth of Alix, another daughter, Louis agreed to an annulment.[3] The marriage was annulled on 11 March 1152, on the grounds of consanguinity within the fourth degree. Their daughters were declared legitimate and custody was awarded to Louis, while Eleanor's lands were restored to her.

As soon as the annulment was granted, Eleanor became engaged to Henry Plantagenet, Duke of Normandy and Count of Anjou, who became King Henry II of England in 1154; he was her cousin within the third degree and was nine years younger than she. The couple married on 18 May 1152, eight weeks after the annulment of Eleanor's first marriage. Over the next thirteen years, she bore Henry eight children: five sons, three of whom would become kings, and three daughters. However, Henry and Eleanor eventually became estranged. She was imprisoned between 1173 and 1189 for supporting her son Henry's revolt against her husband.

Eleanor was widowed on 6 July 1189. Her husband was succeeded by their son, Richard I, who immediately released his mother. Now queen dowager, Eleanor acted as a regent while Richard went on the Third Crusade. Eleanor survived Richard and lived well into the reign of her youngest son John. By the time of her death, she had outlived all her children except for King John and Eleanor, Queen of Castile.

So then, not really someone inspiring but someone I've been drawn to learning about. I have several books on her on my bookshelves.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Master
Aussie comedian Tim Minchin.....

http://waytco.files.wordpress.com/20...im-minchin.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Minchin
Old 12-08-2012, 04:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
Yeah, this is horrible place for this thread. It will be on page 9 by Thursday.

That's ok, mods if you can think of a more appropriate place for it, be my guest. Otherwise, i have some more influential and inspirational people to give respects to, so i will bump it now and then.

I've moved it into the feel good Sanctuary