Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > The Sanctuary

Old 28-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Leah85

Cat Why should we pray when God already knows what we want?

People, I just wanted to share something I have been reading about.

“Why should we pray when God already knows what we want?” is a question I am asked. It is true that God already knows what we need but why then did Bartimaeus have to ask Jesus for help in today’s Gospel? Anyone watching would no doubt have thought that it must be obvious that the man wants Jesus to restore his sight but yet Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you.” And when he said, “Master, let me see again,” Jesus cured him. Jesus knew everything about people; he knew Judas was going to betray him, he knew about Nathanael under the fig tree (John 1), he knew the woman in Samaria had five husbands before her present partner (John 4). Jesus knew about this blind man, he didn’t need to be told he needed his sight restored but yet he asked him what he wanted. Bartimaeus didn’t need to tell Jesus but telling Jesus was preparing Bartimaeus’ heart for the gift of having his sight restored. Once again the question I am asked is “Why should we pray when God already knows what we want?” My response is that prayer is not about informing God what our needs are. God already knows our needs and doesn’t need our prayer to keep him up to date on what is happening in our lives. Instead prayer is for our benefit, not God’s benefit. Prayer is to prepare our heart for what God wishes to give us."

So wonderful to think that we have a Father who cares for us wheither we are conscious of that or not, and prayer is not a "request" but a way to feel our connection to Him, pleasing Him and lifting our soul up.

by Fr. Tommy Lane

Last edited by Leah85 : 28-10-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 28-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Shim

Our heart's desire just maybe known more than we know ourselves. Perhaps we should pray, to know ourselves better? What we might "want" or think we "need" might not be best for us. I think about the "Disciples prayer", when Jesus says when ye pray: Our Father in Heaven.... A prayer He Himself could not pray or He would not be God.

Ecclesiastes 5:2 'Let a man's words before God always be few, as it is said, "Be not rash with your mouth, and let not your heart be hasty to utter a word before God; for God is in heaven, and you upon earth, therefore let your words be few"'

An interesting use of scripture Leah85 and an interesting perspective, I think Jesus never asked a question too that He never already knew the answer to. And another perspective from the crowd in Mark's Gospel, the crowd was rushing Jesus, yet Jesus made time for this blind man of "no importance", other than that he called out to Jesus, "Son of David!"

Here's a prayer poem, one of my personal favorites, and it's in hope to share enjoyment, and a deeper understanding:

I thank Thee, Lord, for mine unanswered prayers,
Unanswered, save, Thy quite, kindly "Nay,"
Yet it seemed hard among my heavy cares
That bitter day.

I wanted joy; but Thou didst know for me
That sorrow was the lift I needed most,
And in its mystic depths I learned to see
The Holy Ghost.

I wanted health; but Thou didst bid me sound
The secret treasuries of pain,
And in the moans and groans my heart oft found
Thy Christ again.

I wanted wealth; 'twas not the better part;
There is a wealth with poverty oft given
And Thou didst teach me of the gold of heart,
Best gifts of Heaven.

I thank Thee, Lord, for these unanswered prayers,
And for Thy word, the quite, kindly "Nay."
'Twas Thy withholding lightened all my cares
That blessed day.

Author unknown

Last edited by Shim : 28-10-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 28-10-2010, 08:16 PM
earthprowler

i get it. i also say the same thing about going to church. a few years ago, a group of people were standing out at break talking about church. i stood and listened for a bit, they were so convinced you had to go and even go multiple times a week to be a good Christian. they finally turned to me and asked me about going to church. they actually had tears running down their faces and were doubling over at my answer "I don't go to church, God knows I'm here". i don't get it........ They thought i had sold my mind on EBay when i said that you didn't have to go to a building to pray to God or to talk to him, you could do it from your recliner, you could go out to the forest to be around him. it doesn't matter where you are, just a "Thank you big guy, i'm doing fine, thank you for the great day you have provided" does it for me. He knows what I need before I do.
Old 28-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Master
Great question. For me I pray when I need peace and comfort. It's just something I do when I pray or talk to God about what I am asking for, I grew up praying as I was brought up in a catholic school so maybe it's in me. Yeah God knows what we want. I am not religious or catholic anymore but there's this saying I think in the bible God helps those who help themselves and for me that also means praying. I also think praying is kind of a manifestation of sorts.
Spiritlite.
Old 29-10-2010, 03:31 AM
pre-dawn

God may know we need as our needs are quite predictable. Our wants are a different matter, they are so fickle that even God would have a hard time keeping up with them. :)
However, God is all-knowing only as far as the present needs, but not wants, are concerned. He is not all-knowing in terms of the future and wants are always future directed. As such one needs to inform God about it.
Needs are a divine matter, wants are an worldly one.
Old 29-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Master
Well when you Know who God is and have realized that God is all that there is, including our SELF, then there is no need to pray to any one, As long as we believe we are separate from God, then we will continue to pray.
Old 29-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Master
Hmm...I believe we are a part of the whole. Just as our cells that make up the various parts of our bodies 'communicate' with those of our brains, etc., etc., the thought crossed my mind at this question that well, the rote prayers are nice, but the ones at the end of the rote prayer (Lord's Prayer etc.) are what keep us in touch, a very personal and heartfelt truly hallowed ground between me (one cell) and Jesus or Buddha etc.) (another cell).

Old 29-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
Hmm...I believe we are a part of the whole. Just as our cells that make up the various parts of our bodies 'communicate' with those of our brains, etc., etc., the thought crossed my mind at this question that well, the rote prayers are nice, but the ones at the end of the rote prayer (Lord's Prayer etc.) are what keep us in touch, a very personal and heartfelt truly hallowed ground between me (one cell) and Jesus or Buddha etc.) (another cell).
Thats a nice way of putting it Silvergirl, i see what you mean, that we are all one body and the head of that body is the Christ, or the Buddha or whatever higher Consciousness you like to believe in. If we are of the body consciousness we then ask the head of that body for healing or whatever, if we are of the Realization of our true SELF, the Christ, then we are the head of the body and our job there is to send out healing to all the members of the body, as you said like cells of the body, but all of the body and head included are ONE. I hope that made some since lol..
Old 29-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Guide
For prayer to be effective, we need to know what we want also. It isn't enough for God to know. And we must have faith.

There is nothing wrong with making requests to God. Actually it's one of the most important things that we can do. And when we feel like there is nothing immediate to ask for, then we can give him our thanks.
Old 29-10-2010, 06:00 AM
mikron

Cool Behind the mirror

Greetings The Real answer to your question has to with the way humanity views the creator the secret behind the mirror, Long Ago the creator separated itself so we can be made and as a result when our consciousness grows so does the creator ...thus we are all one!

Namaste mikron