Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 31-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Pinkroses

Unity vs. Spiritualism

Hello,
I was hoping someone could clarify for me the differences between Unity Churches vs. Spiritualism.

Thanks so much,
Pinkroses
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 AM
Well, I could speak about Unity...and someone else about Spiritualism?
Unity was started by Charles and Myra Fillmore...(after her death he married Cora, if
there is any confusion)
I joke that way back, gosh, in the 20s (?) I think they did LSD because these people
were "in touch" with the Law of Attraction...the Divine...healing...reincarnation...wow...then there was
Emma Curtis Hopkins, d 1925...she was right at the beginning, too.
All those New Thought people are "on something", kidding, to be THIS informed about
the Divine and the way this creation works. They are in love with God.

Ok, now what is Spiritualism?

Sample quote of Hopkins..."If you can redden your face with a thought, you can
straighten your crooked bones with a thought."

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Juanita

Spiritualism is basicly the belief in Spirit, the world of spirit and communication with spirit...That life is eternal, that the bonds of love are never broken, and that we are all spiritual beings temporarily in a physical body....I know nothing about Unity...
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Experiencer
I've been thinking about attending the local Unity Church in my area. During a reading I received years ago I was encouraged to check out a Unity Church. I've yet to go. The reason the Psychic recommended I go was due to my spiritual beliefs being outside the typical Christian/Baptist Church I've been associated with.

"When the student is ready the teacher appears" quote origin The Buddha or Mabel Collins
Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM
mac

This thread appears to be one for information about comparing the 'Unity' and the 'Spiritualist' churches. That's the way this topic was presented elsewhere and has presumably been asked here for the same reason(s).

If a comparison is attempted it should be remembered that Spiritualist church structures are likely to be different in the UK than in the USA.

I do know about the UK Spiritualist church structure but as I have no understanding of the Unity church I'm unable to compare the two.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Pinkroses

Thanks for your replies. I have been trying to get a better understanding because I have been invited to a Unity church for an event, and I had thought it was similar to a Spiritualist church for some reason. Apparently, it isn't. However, it seems that Unity churches do have more non-traditional beliefs and practices, such as energy healing, the law of attraction, etc. I was curious if they believe in spirit communication too. My guess is they probably do, but I haven't been able to confirm that.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Juanita

Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkroses
Thanks for your replies. I have been trying to get a better understanding because I have been invited to a Unity church for an event, and I had thought it was similar to a Spiritualist church for some reason. Apparently, it isn't. However, it seems that Unity churches do have more non-traditional beliefs and practices, such as energy healing, the law of attraction, etc. I was curious if they believe in spirit communication too. My guess is they probably do, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

I Googled Unity Churches and it sounds interesting, but nothing was mentioned about spirit communication....
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I went to a Unity service yesterday...and btw, its Myrtle Fillmore not Myra, sorry...
Their early service was SWEET! Chimes, some drumming, meditation, group affirmations...
Similar to,' I and the Divine Source are one...or All that I create is holy'....with a chime.
The female pastor spoke about Myrtle and all her realizations that we have the Divine in us so
therefore, health is the only thing we should have or expect or be open to...paraphrased.
Myrtle was sickly and given 6 mos to live in her early years, but lived a robust life til 87...bec of her beliefs which are the basis of Unity, of course....long before the term 'Law of Attraction', of course.

Their bookstore had many Buddha things, chimes, New Thought books, love them the most of all my books.
They had a BIG buffet of food to sit and chat.
It was mellow and loving and much talk of the Divine and that there are no
divisions of religion...all was from the same loving Source...doesn't matter what
way you prefer to connect and feel It.
June was Health month. This was my second visit in 25 years...very sweet community.

So I would say it is a mistake to think of Unity and Spiritualism as the same, but they would have
many common beliefs.

Of all groups I read more from New Thought authors...all inspired originally by
The Fillmore's in the 1880s

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM
mac

"So I would say it is a mistake to think of Unity and Spiritualism as the same, but they would have many common beliefs."

I totally agree with the first statement but have considerable doubt that the second is accurate....Only someone well familiar with both could properly judge that, however, a situation that's not been indicated by any of the contributors here.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Looked up Spiritualsm, yup, they have beliefs that overlap.
I really didn't have to look that up to know that, but thought it
might make some "happy".
Anyone can do the work themselves to see....so that their considerable doubt
can be less considerable.