Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 22-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Master
Exclamation 😌 FIRST MISSIONARIES WERE BUDDHIST! 😌

When it comes to missionaries: what comes to our mind is Christian missionaries as being the first missionaries.

But the first missionaries were Buddhist during the reign of the Indian King, King Ashoka (268 to 232 BCE).

King Ashoka is also considered one of the great contributors, if not the greatest contributor to Buddhism. If it wasn't for him, Buddhism may have disappeared.

Feel free to write about how these missionaries spread the teachings of the Buddha and King Ashoka' role in Buddhism.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 22-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
When it comes to missionaries: what comes to our mind is Christian missionaries as being the first missionaries.

But the first missionaries were Buddhist during the reign of the Indian King, King Ashoka (268 to 232 BCE).

King Ashoka is also considered one of the great contributors, if not the greatest contributor to Buddhism. If it wasn't for him, Buddhism may have disappeared.

Feel free to write about how these missionaries spread the teachings of the Buddha and King Ashoka' role in Buddhism.

Dharma - The Teachings of the Buddha.
dharma - The way of the Universe.

With or without King Ashoka, dharma is Eternal...

In the early Theravadin texts, Buddha Shakyamuni is reported to have remarked that the dharma is always present, whether or not there is a buddha to preach it or a sangha to practice it. Dharma in this sense is the underlying, substratum of reality-of our lives and of our world. It is the ultimate and primordial fact of who and what we are.

If you want to understand Buddhism you have to study it otherwise you become confused...
Old 23-09-2020, 03:07 AM
Master
Exclamation

Aśokāvadāna (Sanskrit अशोकावदान) is a book that is about the Legend [King] Askoka that probably was written
in the 2nd century C.E. and is part of the Divyavadana which are some of the oldest Buddhist writings.

One of King Ashoka "hair rising" moments is recorded when he said:

What have I done?
                  If this is a victory,
                what's a defeat then?

Is this a victory or a defeat?

Is this justice or injustice?

Is it gallantry or a rout?

Is it valor to kill innocent children and women?

Did I do it to widen the empire and for prosperity
or to destroy the other's kingdom and splendor?

One has lost her husband,
                      someone a child,
              someone an unborn infant....

What's this debris of the corpses?
         Are these marks of victory or defeat?

Are these vultures,
                               crows,
        eagles the messengers of death or evil?

King Askoka had just killed or deported a huge number of Kalingas.

The 13th Major Rock Edict of Emperor Ashoka reflects what happened to the Kalingas.

Some historians claim Emperor Ashoka did this when he was already a Buddhist. Nevertheless, this event was a major turning point for Ashoka in which he became one of the most benevolent if not the most benevolent person in Buddhist history.

King Ashoka is looked upon by some as the Saint Paul of Buddhism. The Apostle Paul's involvement in the first Christian martyr's death, Stephen, is minor compared to the deaths of the Kalingas: both individuals aspired in their own religion and are now noted as making major contributions to their respective religions.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 23-09-2020, 07:02 AM
Master
Prior to civilization (and during) people have had many different type of beliefs that were spread from mouth to mouth, and many of such beliefs were not similar to Buddhism. Seems so John that Buddhism may have been the first missionary one, at least when it comes to written accounts that can be traced back. Of course other religious texts and many non-dharmic religious concepts and beliefs can be traced back even further based on archaeological findings.

Today's remaining hunter-gatherers are a glimpse into what many of us were possibly 'into' prior to civilization, i.e. worship of nature spirits and expectation some form of afterlife, but no abstract concepts one finds in civilization religions. Everything that came after these more primal beliefs is a product of civilization and the stresses and complexities that it has created. The missionaries are very much coming from such a place.
Old 26-09-2020, 01:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Prior to civilization (and during) people have had many different type of beliefs that were spread from mouth to mouth, and many of such beliefs were not similar to Buddhism. Seems so John that Buddhism may have been the first missionary one, at least when it comes to written accounts that can be traced back. Of course other religious texts and many non-dharmic religious concepts and beliefs can be traced back even further based on archaeological findings.

Today's remaining hunter-gatherers are a glimpse into what many of us were possibly 'into' prior to civilization, i.e. worship of nature spirits and expectation some form of afterlife, but no abstract concepts one finds in civilization religions. Everything that came after these more primal beliefs is a product of civilization and the stresses and complexities that it has created. The missionaries are very much coming from such a place.

Good points.

Most people believe it was the Christians who first sent out missionaries, but it very evident the Buddhists were first.

If you look at the monks living in Western Temples, they seem to mimic the role of missionaries in Buddhism today.

Old 27-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Good points.

Most people believe it was the Christians who first sent out missionaries, but it very evident the Buddhists were first.

If you look at the monks living in Western Temples, they seem to mimic the role of missionaries in Buddhism today.

Missionaries are a product of civilization. In pre-civilization there wasn't much need to convince others of a faith or spiritual path. You had your tribal 'shaman' ((a generalizing term, I know)) and people believing in 'spirits' and a few deities here and there.

The preaching of books and paths and salvation (through deity or spiritual practice) came later. Buddhism is a very urban religion and deals with questions and comes up with answers that seem more relevant in the urban context ((obviously does not exclude it being present outside of the urban context)). I find it unsurprising that Buddhist thought has gained ground in an increasingly urbanized world characterized by stress and lack of time for one's self.
Old 27-09-2020, 06:41 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Missionaries are a product of civilization. In pre-civilization there wasn't much need to convince others of a faith or spiritual path. You had your tribal 'shaman' ((a generalizing term, I know)) and people believing in 'spirits' and a few deities here and there.

The preaching of books and paths and salvation (through deity or spiritual practice) came later. Buddhism is a very urban religion and deals with questions and comes up with answers that seem more relevant in the urban context ((obviously does not exclude it being present outside of the urban context)). I find it unsurprising that Buddhist thought has gained ground in an increasingly urbanized world characterized by stress and lack of time for one's self.

An enlightening discussion between Christians.

I've heard that some Christians believe in saving others, and converting people to the one, true God - taught under the auspices of modern Christianity.

BigJohn has always done an admirable job, sowing doubt about Buddhists (subtly) since he has joined this forum. He has similarly done that with Gnosticism on the Christian forum...

I hope you get a big gold star from Modern Christian God, John. You are a true missionary in that way - I am sure that your God is keeping count for you, right?

How true Christians and Buddhists would make us ashamed.

Good luck.

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...#post1971 505

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...&postcount=159

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...9&postcount=65

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...2&postcount=17
Old 28-09-2020, 04:09 AM
Master
Exclamation 😌 Modern remembrances of King Ashoka 😌

Modern remembrances of King Ashoka:

The modern rememberances of King Ashoka are deeply rooted in Buddhist history.

1. The Edicts of Ashoka found on 7 major columns. Their main purpose was
    to instruct the people in Dharma (Dhamma Pali).
2. His legends are related in the Ashokavadana ("Narrative of Ashoka", a part
    of the Divyavadana)
3. The Mahavamsa ("Great Chronicle")
4. The Republic of India's emblem is an adaptation of the Lion Capital of
    Ashoka.

Streets, roads, etc. are named after King Ashoka. I used to visit one street that was named after him. I used to go thru one train stop that was also named after King Ashoka. In predominate Buddhist lands, his name is well known.

The famous Pagan Temples would never have been built if it was not for King Ashoka's influence over Buddhism.

Somewhere, I do not know where, I have a DVD movie of King Ashoka. I really liked that movie!

Old 30-09-2020, 04:01 PM
Master
Exclamation

Quote:
Modern remembrances of King Ashoka:

The famous Pagan Temples would never have been built if it was not for King Ashoka's influence over Buddhism.

I remember my first introductory to the Pagan Temples.

I was walking down the street when my 'little voice' told me to enter this one shop. I was not to interested in going in there because it is small and not very interesting.

As I entered, I was drawn to a book which I began to read. I was amazed that such a Temple could exist and I did not know about it.

I kept reading.

Then it dawned on me ........ I was reading French.
I was not translating it!

When this realization came over me, I could no longer understand what was on the printed page!

A while later, I did buy the book at another place that was in English. As I started reading it, I found the French version, the language it was originally written in, to be much better.

I also discovered I had already been to the Pagan Temple complex. That, in of itself, was much relief for me.

Old 22-10-2020, 03:21 AM
Master
Quote:
I remember my first introductory to the Pagan Temples.

I was walking down the street when my 'little voice' told me to enter this one shop. I was not to interested in going in there because it is small and not very interesting.

As I entered, I was drawn to a book which I began to read. I was amazed that such a Temple could exist and I did not know about it.

I kept reading.

Then it dawned on me ........ I was reading French.
I was not translating it!

When this realization came over me, I could no longer understand what was on the printed page!

A while later, I did buy the book at another place that was in English. As I started reading it, I found the French version, the language it was originally written in, to be much better.

I also discovered I had already been to the Pagan Temple complex. That, in of itself, was much relief for me.

For those who have seen the Buddhist, Pagan Temples....... they truly are worth the visit.

In the future, I want to discuss some of those Temples and how unique they truly are.

Seeing the Temples from a hot air balloon captures visually the amazing sites which holds the depth of over 2000 Temples.

Something to cherish, is a Pagan Buddha statue which many people have never seen. I have to go thru my collection of statues again to see if I have any of those statues.