Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 24-08-2020, 08:03 PM
Master
On a serious note, when I was growing up, we would go to the Methodist Church and when they gave us envelopes to put money in to it, we would switch to the Baptist Church. And when the Baptist Church gave us envelopes, we would switch,....... going back and forth.

Because of this, none of us got baptized.

and those were the only Churches in our community........ Well there were 2 other Churches, but they were rarely ever used.

I grew up in a Welch community...... so those were Welch Churches.

Looking at the gravestones of some of the people buried in our community was an experience in of itself. The names were 'unique'.

A common name was William Williams.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 25-08-2020, 12:43 AM
Administrator
I am not surprised to hear you mention that you grew up in a Welsh community. my family went into patigonia in the 1800s. i know some went into Arizona and other places.
that is where my family went into Arizona.
william is a common name in wales my late husbands name was William just like his dad and grandfather before him. most people from wales get Baptised rather than christend

Namaste
Old 25-08-2020, 01:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
I am not surprised to hear you mention that you grew up in a Welsh community. my family went into patigonia in the 1800s. i know some went into Arizona and other places.
that is where my family went into Arizona.
william is a common name in wales my late husbands name was William just like his dad and grandfather before him. most people from wales get Baptised rather than christend

Namaste

Thanks for your comment.

When I went to school, we had Welsh rarebit 1-2 times a week. I thought everybody ate that food. Occasionally, we had peas with the food.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 25-08-2020, 02:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfin
Hi... Anyone else not christened?... And what are your feelings about this please ?..... I was not christened ....which for "those" days was quite unusual.... The "faith" I would naturally have joined would have been church of England. I attended C of E school and it's teachings ...I also attended Sunday school and coloured in pictures of Jesus ..which I quite liked. When I married my first husband , it was in a Catholic church...but because I was not christened I did not have to "convert" ...and I did not have to be baptised prior to the wedding.... So I am still "un-christened. I personally like the fact that I do not "belong " to any particular faith, as I am very much a free spirit..... I suppose I make my own religion up as I go along....It's not that I don't "believe".... I absolutly DO believe... But not enough , to go in one direction or another....
i share a lot of the same views as you do. I was baptized. In a spiritual aspect I really don't think it makes a difference. Overall people are going to believe and do what there going to baptized or not.
I have a hard time thinking just because you were baptized you have a "free pass". I don't think a God as great as everyone says they are would say, you did all these great things for humanity but you weren't baptized and I don't want you and to hell you go. Least I sure hope not. If so that's something I would imagine the "devil" doing.
Old 25-08-2020, 07:10 AM
Elfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
i share a lot of the same views as you do. I was baptized. In a spiritual aspect I really don't think it makes a difference. Overall people are going to believe and do what there going to baptized or not.
I have a hard time thinking just because you were baptized you have a "free pass". I don't think a God as great as everyone says they are would say, you did all these great things for humanity but you weren't baptized and I don't want you and to hell you go. Least I sure hope not. If so that's something I would imagine the "devil" doing.
....I don't go along with the "burning In hell" if not christened either...some believe it... How would it work?.... A mass murderer happens to have been christened.....whereas the tireless charity worker, devoting a lifetime raising millions of pounds , happened not to have been christened....!!!...
Old 25-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Master
Quote:
....I don't go along with the "burning In hell" if not christened either...some believe it... How would it work?.... A mass murderer happens to have been christened.....whereas the tireless charity worker, devoting a lifetime raising millions of pounds , happened not to have been christened....!!!...
On the god/religion topic one can say I am all messed up. Yes, I believe in God. But 90% of what he is, was written by people with fear and sugar sprinkles added. People of high power who wanted people to follow them. Not God or his word. Like most any governing system. Whatever you want to label the God idea it's in your heart. It's been there since you were born. Here's a quote from a song I hold dear. "Follow your heart and nothing else". "Simple man" by lynard Skynyrd.https://youtu.be/sMmTkKz60W8. All what I said is only my opinion. I am not anything but a typical human. Hope my thought helps you on your journey.
Old 25-08-2020, 11:37 AM
Master
Quote:

In most newer Bibles, 'hell' and especially 'burning in hell', those words and expressions are no longer in those Bibles. Those mis-translations removed those 'errors'.

If you want, I will sprinkle some water on you so you can say you have been christened and you can hold my body under the water in the bath tub so you can say you baptized me!

Fair enough?

Old 25-08-2020, 12:29 PM
Elfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
On the god/religion topic one can say I am all messed up. Yes, I believe in God. But 90% of what he is, was written by people with fear and sugar sprinkles added. People of high power who wanted people to follow them. Not God or his word. Like most any governing system. Whatever you want to label the God idea it's in your heart. It's been there since you were born. Here's a quote from a song I hold dear. "Follow your heart and nothing else". "Simple man" by lynard Skynyrd.https://youtu.be/sMmTkKz60W8. All what I said is only my opinion. I am not anything but a typical human. Hope my thought helps you on your journey.
Thank you Hallow ..... I think your thoughts/ beliefs strongly resonate with my own.... As for my journey...I pretty much just stumble my way through it, in my own little way !!!...I KNOW I have been picked up and helped along the way..... Lovely song , can empathise strongly with the lyrics.... Being a mum of boys...many thanks...
Old 25-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Thank you Hallow ..... I think your thoughts/ beliefs strongly resonate with my own.... As for my journey...I pretty much just stumble my way through it, in my own little way !!!...I KNOW I have been picked up and helped along the way..... Lovely song , can empathise strongly with the lyrics.... Being a mum of boys...many thanks...
. Don't we all stumble through? If we didn't what would be the point. Nothing like the grand adventure or journey as we call it. I've been helped out too but only enough to learn to take nothing for granted. As for that song, I always would like to imagine my mother saying that to me.
Old 25-08-2020, 01:00 PM
Pathfinder

My brother and I were christened in the Roman Catholic church, to appease our maternal grandparents (catholics themselves) who believed we would go to hell after death if not christened in their faith. Dad was a Wesleyan and thought this was bunkum, but went along with the arrangements for the benefit of a quiet life!

As a septuagenarian I have done much searching of different religions and now belong to the Quaker faith.

I went through quite a long period in the Spiritualist church, and attended a development circle for some time but couldn't convince myself this was doing anything for my own spiritual progress, nor any one elses, come to that.

I love the fact that the Quaker's simple tenet seems to be 'Let your Life Speak' and also that I am not told what I am supposed to believe. There are Quakers in my local meeting who also attend other faith groups.

Anyway, to return to the topic of the thread, yes, I was christened into the catholic church, but the only time I have ever attended one is when my grandparents came to stay, and I was taken along to church with them, to my indignation, having normally attended the Methodist Sunday School, which I found more informal.