Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Channeling

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 AM
SunMist

validity of channeled info

I've seen psychics and shamans over the years who tell me that their guides said this or that my guides said that. To me that seems a form of channeling. Sometimes this information feels true and is quite helpful, but other times it seems like it is really just the person's own opinion packaged as "channeled" information. I don't think they are being deliberately deceptive in the latter case, but it does make me question what channeled information to believe.

What do you all think?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Master
It's not reliable information.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 AM
glenos

Most of it is a load of old carp. I have seen and been amongst the best over the last fourty years which gives me a very good idea as to what is and what isn't.
99.9% of the tripe and twaddle spouted by the wannabes would be laughable if it wasn't so serious a subject.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Master
Be aware, whether someone channels, I have come across highly accurate channeled material, or someone criticizes all that is channel, it contains their own values, or the lack of it.

By the way, material from a psychic or medium is mostly not channeled.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenos
Most of it is a load of old carp. I have seen and been amongst the best over the last fourty years which gives me a very good idea as to what is and what isn't.
99.9% of the tripe and twaddle spouted by the wannabes would be laughable if it wasn't so serious a subject.
I concur. 100%!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunMist
What do you all think?
There are people out there who make money by deliberately lying.

But in most cases it's probably a form of self-delusion..
It's an easy trap to fall into, you might want to research Cold Reading and the Barnum Effect..
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM
earthprowler

what about cult leaders that claim they do the same thing? and the people they take down that road that leads to a very bad ending for some. haven't several of them told their followers that they were the only ones that could "hear God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah" or whomever? what made these people follow them in blind faith?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
SunMist

I have a feeling a few times I was definitely encountering cold reading though I haven't read about the Barnum effect - guessing something about a sucker being born every minute?

So in the rare case where someone really is gifted enough to accurately communicate with guides on behalf of another how do you tell if they are genuine?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthprowler
what about cult leaders that claim they do the same thing? and the people they take down that road that leads to a very bad ending for some. haven't several of them told their followers that they were the only ones that could "hear God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah" or whomever? what made these people follow them in blind faith?
Lack of common sense, a lot of the time. But sometimes it's a genuine desire for a meaningful personal faith, and that gets preyed upon by the cult leader.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Sungirl

to me it's all about discernment.

When I was studying formally our teacher told us something that was pretty life changing and hard to believe. We then broke for lunch and she left the room. We were all talking about it discussing whether we believed it or not.

When she came back she told us this. If someone tells you something and it empowers you, believe it. If it takes your power away, drop it.

For me that works really well.

Who knows what is real channelling or not. But I know that if something I read or am told makes me feel bad I walk away. It may be their truth but it isn't mine as it serves no purpose to my growth.

My favourite one of these (sorry for the digress) is that we all have to work on our stuff and get it cleared by a certain time because there is going to be a mass ascension and those of us that haven't will get left behind.

How does that empower me? How does that help me grow?

It doesn't.

The same people then say that time is a man made thing and we can create time.

So telling me I need to work on my stuff and not slack off is fine as I have all the time I need to do all that I need to do. Now that empowers me and encourages me to stick with the plot :)