Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-05-2022, 06:48 AM
Master

Two sides of the Same Coin ?

Isn't a person who might be regarded as a health 'freak' just as deluded
as a person whom might be regarded as a hedonist in terms of their
lifestyle. Aren't both of these positions whether gross or subtle in terms
of their expressions both forms of Aversion and Craving in the light of
Buddhist Teachings ?

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 14-05-2022, 07:44 AM
Master
What do you mean by health freak?

Someone who’s overly focused on their body, or someone who takes good care, listens to their body and stays healthy as possible?
Old 14-05-2022, 10:59 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
What do you mean by health freak?

Someone who’s overly focused on their body, or someone who takes good care, listens to their body and stays healthy as possible?

Health Addict might be a better term, health freak is probably not much
in usuage anymore ? Yeah someone behaves like an addict except
the addiction is exercising, supplements or whatever is involved ? Yes overly
focused on their body that kind of thing ?

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Last edited by Joe Mc : 15-05-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old 14-05-2022, 11:12 AM
Master
I guess extremes that push hard, are obsessive and over stretch the normal functionings of a body probably have some kind of skewed desire that has its own drivers in place?

I’ve met a practising Buddhist who all her life neglected her physical and focused solely in teachings, meditation and the rest. She’s now in her sixties and overweight, not in good shape to care for herself. And in a nursing home.

She openly shared at a lunch date one day that she neglected her body and immersed solely in her studies.
Old 14-05-2022, 03:30 PM
Master

Quote:
She openly shared at a lunch date one day that she neglected her body and immersed solely in her studies.

Yes she sounds a bit nihilistic. I was just kinda fascinated by the obvious
and kinda camouflaged health regimes on offer and which are taken to
extremes perhaps ... So the overweight thing, drug addict, alcoholic, etc
etc. are the more obvious addictions but often exercise and the lifestyles
surrounding it are seen as good per se, it often goes unquestioned. We
see a jogger going by and a drug addict lying in the gutter, we know automatically know who is doing better.

I suppose exercise addiction is probably to do with trying to change a
run of mill toyota into a ferrari as I heard one spiritual teacher put it. I am
afraid in away we are all stuck with toyotas
Whether we like it or not. And the vice versa of your scenario is the long
distance runner who has pummeled his joints out of existence by the age
of 70 etc. I'm not trying to generalise ...just curious thats all.

*************************************************-

Old 15-05-2022, 12:07 AM
Master
I think in relation to health and well-being it’s all about balance. Pushing hard has its consequences as does doing nothing. People say I’m a health freak, but a i do us eat healthy, take a few supplements and exercise in various way. To hear them say I’m a health freak, seems weird to me. I’m just listening to this vessel, getting the best from it to get me through life.

During my deeper awakening, the issue of taking good care of my body was always one with emotional and spiritual awareness. I was lucky all of me had to bridge a deeper understanding.

I wake up each day and feel fitter, more alive and grounded than in my thirties. Lol.

I want to be ‘enlightened’ in such a way, I take care of myself as best I can.
Old 15-05-2022, 02:04 AM
Master

Who decides when taking care of your health makes you a freak, or deluded? Why should you care?
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 15-05-2022, 02:12 AM
Master
I'm like the science guy, and optimal training in terms of discovering ones full genetic potential is based upon the most work you can recover from. Fatigue management is a big deal. Hence it's not like you somehow have the magic mind to discover a middle way. There IS a balance which will always be found in the end one way or another. Within the confines of work and recovery, there are ways to implement training to optimise returns. Of course nutrition plays a vital role as well.

Most of us aren't trying to optimise and just want to keep fit, so we are basically looking for the minimum work needed to be healthy.

If there is a mental disorder like an obsession, it cannot be assessed by how much a person works out or how strict they are with diet. If the individual is trying to discover their genetic potential, they will work hard and be disciplined. If a person just wants to be nice and fit, they might do 3 hours working out a week and hit the beers on Friday night.

Mental problems will come as eating disorders and body dysmorphia... it's very distressing, secretive and strange, so if the training cycle is creating distress in those regards, better nip that in the bud before it gets messy, but if it's just stressing a bit because you missed training a couple of times or blew out on calories over the weekend, that's normal.

When I was really training, that's twice a day at the gym and every morsel of food weighed, calorie counted and nutrient balanced, eating the same thing every day and stuff, everyone was telling me that's a body obsession and an eating disorder (because I was bringing my own lunchbox to dinners etc.) but I was like, I'm going to attain my genetic potential and this is how it's done (not that I have a phenomenal potential or anything). These days I'm not doing that. I just stay a little bit fit, but that's still 2 trips to gym daily and watching what I eat - though I don't have to weigh portions anymore and can binge out on chips and stuff occasionally.
Old 15-05-2022, 06:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Who decides when taking care of your health makes you a freak, or deluded? Why should you care?

The judgmentals decide and the 'Ego' cares
Old 15-05-2022, 07:45 AM
Master

Quote:
I think in relation to health and well-being it’s all about balance.

As you say balance is everything, that's for sure. And a healthy or wholesome
discipline seems to really help in life in general. The mind being what it is seems
to require and benefit from some kind of discipline and likewise the body
which seems somewhat dependent on the mind and vice versa.

A wholesome discipline as opposed to an unhealthy disciple requires that balance and
in Buddhism balance comes from wisdom. Wisdom comes from
experience. Experience comes from being human Sounds like a song
doesn't it ? hahaha. Anyway thanks for your insights.