Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 31-10-2020, 09:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Somebody had said: “White man expects instant answers for questions which take an injun a year to answer”

Why is that Ajahn Phaelyn?

Injun probably understands the subject is nuanced, whereas paleface thinks there is an answer.
Old 31-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
Truth is self evident it seems to me. We follow our hearts to love and peace and harmony, if one is wise anyway. Right and wrong doesn't really matter unless someone is somehow invested in trying to make others think and believe like they do which is really a horrible way to be and live. Imagine wondering around this great big planet trying to get others to think and believe as we do. That's a wasted life and one full of conflict I would imagine.

But then some are addicted to conflict and seek it. Tolle said there are actually negative energies we can attach to ourselves and carry around with us and seek to feed. It's very much like an addiction. One gets addicted to being in conflict with others, it's like an entertainment to them, an escape from facing themselves....though of course it leads nowhere good. Just bad karma is generated. One gets lost and even further away from the source, universal un-conditional love. Loving everyone and not judging them no matter what they think and believe.

Beliefs really are secondary as you posted. That's just intellectual understanding. What we are moment to moment, what we do, how we act, how we interact with others... that's where what we are, what we understand, is shown... not in what we believe. To spend each day, each moment, without conflict of any kind, that's Buddhism actualized, lived.

The truth I allude to is now, and now, and now. It's not particularly complex: 'this is what it's like'. But the immediacy of attention is a bit tricky.
Old 31-10-2020, 03:54 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Somebody had said: “White man expects instant answers for questions which take an injun a year to answer”

Why is that Ajahn Phaelyn?

There is instant microwavable mush and then there is the traditional
native mush making and there is a whole way of life behind it.
The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Vid. of Pomo mush making. 27 1/2 mins. long. (worth it IMO.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFwNomKqAbc
Old 31-10-2020, 04:03 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm

By thy fruits?

Wonderful!
Old 31-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:

That was a fascinating video to me. The use of hot rocks put into a basket full of mush to cook it..... genius! The removing (leeching) of the toxic tannin from the acorns was a puzzler. How would anyone be able to figure this out? The tannin in acorns kills horses and such, makes humans sick or kills them.... but yes squirrels can eat them. Squirrels have a special enzyme in their system that protects them from the toxic effects of tannin.

So maybe some human saw squirrels eating them, tried it, got sick.....didn't like bitter taste. Tried the water thing, found out the more you pour water on them the more the bitter taste disappeared.....ate some didn't get sick.

One interesting thing is it is much simpler to leach the tannin from acorns than that Pomo method. All one has to do is shell the acorns. Soak the shelled acorns in hot or cold water. Once the water turns brown, drain it off and soak again in fresh hot or cold water. Repeat this process until the water is clear.
Old 31-10-2020, 05:50 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:

One interesting thing is it is much simpler to leach the tannin from acorns than that Pomo method. All one has to do is shell the acorns. Soak the shelled acorns in hot or cold water. Once the water turns brown, drain it off and soak again in fresh hot or cold water. Repeat this process until the water is clear.

I would be interested in sampling the final products from both your method
and the way the elder in the video produced.

I was perplexed and intrigued by the sand bowl for leaching.
I wondered if it added minerals and or flavors to the mush from the cold water and sand.
I have had cookies with Native acorn flour that came from Northern
California. Good stuff. I never even considered how the acorns were
processed.
It saddens me that these elders, with this type knowledge are dying off
and the knowledge with them.
Old 31-10-2020, 10:34 PM
Master
Quote:

Looks good, but I couldn't watch it because the soundtrack was unbearable
Old 31-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Master
Quote:
How would anyone be able to figure this out?
By going to “trial and error school.”

Aboriginal equivalent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvQnsKuOcE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Hah. I found the soundtrack soothing. The nuances of the song were getting me into going through the process mood.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:48 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

Yeah, those old mechanical film machines can be sketchy when playing.