Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 13-11-2012, 12:42 AM
faith83

question about destiny and free will

Hello all

I wanted to know if anyone could explain their take on destiny and free will. For example, If the plan was for two spirits to marry and have children before they came into this life, how much is it enforced? If one person has the free will to change their mind, what happens to the other person. Will God/universe bring about someone else to keep that person on their path of destiny to marry and have children? Or does that person suffer the consequences of some else's decision?

My personal view is that God does give us free will to make certain choices, but there may be somethings that he definitely has in his plans for us that must take place. I believe this because I see the comparison to a parent/child relationship. We let our children make certain choices because it's important for growth and development. But as a parent there are certain things that we KNOW are harmful and we must place restrictions because the consequences of the action may be too harmful. We know as adults that children aren't developed enough to make ALL their own decisions.

My parents always allowed me to think for myself and trusted me to know the basic information of right and wrong. But I remember when I was 13 I wanted to get my nose pierced and my parents wouldn't let me do it. No matter how much I begged and pleaded they wouldn't budge...and I was LIVID. now (16 years later) I'm very appreciative that they forbid me to do it because as an adult I wouldn't like it, nor the whole that it would have left in my nose.

This is how I see God, destiny and free will. He allows us to think freely and make our own choices, but he also knows there's a limit to what we believe is good for us. This is where I believe destiny steps in. There's certain things that we MUST do and experience and he won't allow us to stray from that.

I curious to know how you guys see it
Old 13-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Knower

Hi faith.
There is no god.No supreme being, creator , intelligent designer, etc. How free is your will when your mind has been condition?.Destiny is abstract.What is destiny?. Is destiny before or after the fact.Destiny is a myth.I don,t believe in destiny.
Thats how i see it.
Old 13-11-2012, 11:45 AM
The Eagle

logically you simply can't have free will and a concept of destiny/fate.

if the future is set all we can have is an illusion of free will.

if you have in place a belief that god knows the future choices you will make - then it negates free will at any given point.

often the argument is god knows all the choices that someone can make, which is an option - but god knowing which one is actually chosen logically negates there being any point about free will.

where i think it upsets some people is that the idea of free will actually puts a belief of gods omniscience and omnipotence in doubt because it is saying god doesn't know something - and cant do something. which is a starting point of belief about the nature of god for many.

to sum up - you cant have a logical argument that includes both a concept of free will and fate because by strict definition they cancel each other.

i am more in favour of the druid wyrd - that an idea of destiny/fate is defined more like a collection of free will choices.
Old 13-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Master
Its simple really, we do have free will and in a way things are destined, in that they are going to happen.
Its like this, Time is something we are in as humans, with our human minds we need it or everything would happen at once and we couldnt cope, but time isnt real beyond this reality. outside of this reality it is possible to know all of this reality (almost like you had watched a film and already knew what happens) but while in it, it has to happen rather like you would view the film for the first time, unfolding before you as the story plays out. So an observer outside of this reality can know the whole film, but it still unfolds in accordance with your choices, its just that; as time isnt real, those choices are known...hence destiny
Old 13-11-2012, 01:20 PM
The Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
Its simple really, we do have free will and in a way things are destined, in that they are going to happen.
Its like this, Time is something we are in as humans, with our human minds we need it or everything would happen at once and we couldnt cope, but time isnt real beyond this reality. outside of this reality it is possible to know all of this reality (almost like you had watched a film and already knew what happens) but while in it, it has to happen rather like you would view the film for the first time, unfolding before you as the story plays out. So an observer outside of this reality can know the whole film, but it still unfolds in accordance with your choices, its just that; as time isnt real, those choices are known...hence destiny

if it is just events that are unfolding - then at the point of event there is not choice hence free will doesnt exist. the explanation doesnt include free will.

if you have to use 'outside of reality' for an explanation should that not tell you that that the explanation is not real, and therefore not true?

simply you cant have both free will and destiny in place as a coherent structure of belief, unless you accept the illogical as logical - which of course is nonsensical and makes discussion of the how and why redundant.
Old 13-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Master
you have free will to make choices but whatever you chose you were destined to make that choice. hehehe!
Old 13-11-2012, 01:45 PM
The Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Queries
you have free will to make choices but whatever you chose you were destined to make that choice. hehehe!

lol well that would be an illusion of free will.
Old 13-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle
lol well that would be an illusion of free will.

yep but oh well ... destiny implies "purpose" and what's wrong with that?
Old 13-11-2012, 02:01 PM
The Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Queries
yep but oh well ... destiny implies "purpose" and what's wrong with that?

nothing wrong at all. i would say we each create our destiny with the free will choices we make - but that is different from saying the future was predetermined or known.
Old 13-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle
nothing wrong at all. i would say we each create our destiny with the free will choices we make - but that is different from saying the future was predetermined or known.

the particular destiny doesn't have to be known to the destined. it may be just a matter of vibrational patterning. nothing personal.