Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 25-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Pain and suffering need not necessarily go hand in hand, though, you can experience pain without also suffering - ever hear the saying, 'Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional'?
It depends on how you define it. If we go with this definition than it isn't optional.

Also, I don't think it is ''optional'' for any normal functioning human being when loved family members, friends, or pets die. I disagree with those who think such suffering should be ''tamed'' with *spiritual practice* or be cast aside with rational argument ((and many spiritual paths are awkwardly living by rather rational standards)). There's a coldness to it that I don't like.
Old 25-07-2020, 07:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
It depends on how you define it. If we go with this definition than it isn't optional.
I disagree with that definition, I don't think pain and suffering are synonymous - it's just that human beings tend to have a very reactive relationship with pain, understandably so, and so pain does tend to be accompanied by suffering. But it's been my experience that I can feel pain and not be suffering at the same time, it depends on whether I'm resisting or allowing the pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Also, I don't think it is ''optional'' for any normal functioning human being when loved family members, friends, or pets die. I disagree with those who think such suffering should be ''tamed'' with *spiritual practice* or be cast aside with rational argument ((and many spiritual paths are awkwardly living by rather rational standards)). There's a coldness to it that I don't like.
It's natural and healthy to feel grief in response to the loss of a loved one, yes, but again, the more you allow yourself to feel the pain, the less you suffer.
Old 25-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Master

Quote:
I disagree with that definition, I don't think pain and suffering are synonymous - it's just that human beings tend to have a very reactive relationship with pain, understandably so, and so pain does tend to be accompanied by suffering. But it's been my experience that I can feel pain and not be suffering at the same time, it depends on whether I'm resisting or allowing the pain.

It's natural and healthy to feel grief in response to the loss of a loved one, yes, but again, the more you allow yourself to feel the pain, the less you suffer.
Let's say you're dreaming; you lose a loved one, and you feel the pain; this triggers lucidity. What would you do then, considering that whatever you want can happen? Would you allow yourself to feel the pain? Is there another way?
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 25-07-2020, 08:59 PM
Master
inavalan - Don't know what A human Being's response will be, but the way I see it: just like in a complete awakened state one can choose to embrace a feeling coming on like pain, sorrow and sadness or one can push it down into the subconscious and numb oneself to feeling anything at all or at least what would seem rational to most human beings.

If someone I loved died in a lucid dream I would hope that I would cry and maybe then, after shedding tears, will myself out of the dream.
Old 26-07-2020, 08:47 AM
Master
Quote:
I think you disagree because you separate body and ''mind'', just like pain and suffering. My take on this is I prefer the simplest definitions and explanations, with as few abstract constructs (i.e. ''mind'') as possible. I don't believe we have to separate pain and suffering because when suffering is viewed as ''mental'' then often, if not always, this can still be observed in people's expressions, behaviour, and brains. When we scrap this notion of a ''mind'' then things will be clearer.
Old 26-07-2020, 09:35 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
inavalan - Don't know what A human Being's response will be, but the way I see it: just like in a complete awakened state one can choose to embrace a feeling coming on like pain, sorrow and sadness or one can push it down into the subconscious and numb oneself to feeling anything at all or at least what would seem rational to most human beings.

If someone I loved died in a lucid dream I would hope that I would cry and maybe then, after shedding tears, will myself out of the dream.
You can do much better than that!
"In the dream state you operate under the same conditions, more or less, that are native to a consciousness not focused in physical reality. Many of your experiences, therefore, are precisely those you may meet after death. You may speak with dead friends or relatives, revisit the past, greet old classmates, walk down streets that existed fifty years earlier in physical time, travel through space without taking any physical time to do so, be met by guides, be instructed, teach others, perform meaningful work, solve problems, hallucinate."

—SS Chapter 10 "'Death' Conditions in Life": Session 538, June 29, 1970
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 27-07-2020, 02:33 AM
Master
Quote:

Suffering arises when we resist pain.

Correct. But how does emotional pain arise? Do you feel this is part of a conditioned/programmed mind?
Old 27-07-2020, 07:24 AM
Suspended
Not necessary, you know when you see someone walk on a rake an it flies up an smashes em in the face? an then you think well maybe i wont do that, because i don't want the same outcome? we can learn from others mistakes through out history... but humanity keeps going round an round in circles.. so we suffer.. together. Its like you don't have to keep touching the hot stove humanity but there u go again an again doing that. Most of it has to do with people not knowing there stand as sovereign men an women and there nations/peoples true history so they get taken over by forging military occupations masquerading as there government and "leaders" instead of arrested for what they really are which is war criminals in international law.
Old 27-07-2020, 07:24 AM
Suspended
double post
Old 27-07-2020, 11:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
Correct. But how does emotional pain arise? Do you feel this is part of a conditioned/programmed mind?
Ach... those are very complex questions, I wouldn't even know where to start with them. Interesting questions to consider though, so thanks for that :)