Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Your example seems to be just seizing a business opportunity, and applying intelligent marketing. I don't see it as misrepresentation.

I remember a story of a jewelry maker about her beginnings. She made a bunch of nice earnings she couldn't sell, until somebody explained her that she picked a price range too high for somebody to buy them without thinking, and too low for somebody to buy to gift them to a girlfriend, or for a special occasion. The jewelry maker then quadrupled the price, and not only sold them all, but got a big order from a luxury retailer. Exactly the same models!

I'd call misrepresentation the lying, including by omission, with the purpose of inflicting a prejudice to somebody.

One common lie is comforting somebody with "it will work out", when you know that not to be the case. Is it misrepresentation? I don't think so. Thinking that honesty is more important, regardless of the situation's specifics, is narrow minded, and can be insensitive, mean, cruel, ...

If a person buys some junk and sells it for something it is not, some would say that would be misrepresentation. In the example I gave, the widgets were not a viable product. They got bought, their name changed and all of a sudden, they become worth a lot! There was one other step included. Some magic was done over the widgets.

The reason I mentioned this example, is in our 'field', stuff like this goes on a regular basis. Is the person really doing a scam on his customers or could it have been there was something to that of the magic?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM
ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
If a person buys some junk and sells it for something it is not, some would say that would be misrepresentation. In the example I gave, the widgets were not a viable product. They got bought, their name changed and all of a sudden, they become worth a lot! There was one other step included. Some magic was done over the widgets.

The reason I mentioned this example, is in our 'field', stuff like this goes on a regular basis. Is the person really doing a scam on his customers or could it have been there was something to that of the magic?

Why be a dropkick and disrespect another.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elabr8Aspie
Hi petex,

Can you give an example?

The question is to broad based and open ended as is.

Cheers

An example I keep thinking of is when dating. I know a lot of people show only their best parts and become very agreeable. This in order to get someone to be interested in and even develop feelings for them. Personally, I believe this to be very misleading and false but I understand we may be genetically wired to do this in order to mate.

I believe in truth even if it hurts because as somebody else mentioned, decisions can be made based from an honest reality (however honest that can be) and not some falsity.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elabr8Aspie
Why be a dropkick and disrespect another.

What are you talking about?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:32 PM
Ascender

Hello Bornonthe cusp,
As mentioned earlier. A lot of ifs,buts, and maybes.

I have no answer as to how to discern truth from falsehood.I guess in some cases it will be common sense obvious--and often not.
Perhaps there are however clues which may help.

Maybe. If truth is imagined as an open book, then falsehood is possibly going to. be something more hidden, some sort of hidden agenda?

And if truth is imagined as free for the benefit of all, then falsehood is probably going to be the methodology of an agenda intending to benefit only a sub section-- maybe just the smallest sub section.

What sort of benefit, what sort of agenda? Probably-imo- an agenda attempting to achieve relative significance,-power.domination.reputation.fame ?

Are such agendas necessarily consciously pursued? Perhaps not. Perhaps driven by a subconscious need to counter the fear of not being?

When all along the only means --imo--capable of doing that is loving.

So falsehood makes a rod for its own back--until it is relinquished and reconnection sought.
petex
Old 04-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Master

Quote:

It isn't a scam as long you don't sell something under false pretenses.

If you claimed something you know is false, then that's misrepresentation.

If you sell at a higher price than another did / does, then that isn't misrepresentation. It doesn't matter if you added intrinsic value or not to whatever you sell. Retailers do that all the time.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:51 PM
Master
SECOND CASE

In today's newspaper were circular for the various grocery stores.

As I was eating breakfast at McDonalds' this morning, I showed one ad to a friend of mine and told him it was a 'scam'. He looked at the ad and could not see what I was talking about. Then I broke the ad down piece by piece.

The ad claims you can buy one piece of meat and you get another of equal value for FREE. Actually, the ad should read, buy 2 pieces of meat at half price. The 'scam' falls apart when you go to return the piece of meat you got for free. Reason for the return is you only wanted one piece of meat and being one piece was free, you return the paid for piece of meat. Not gonna happen.

The ad showed the meat already cooked. That means you can get it at the Deli. You go to the Deli and they tell you the price is 4 times what the ad says and it does not include the herbs nor the herb butter which the ad clearly shows.

The kind people at the Deli direct you to the Meat section were the meat is RAW!

Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 PM
Master

Quote:
SECOND CASE

In today's newspaper were circular for the various grocery stores.

As I was eating breakfast at McDonalds' this morning, I showed one ad to a friend of mine and told him it was a 'scam'. He looked at the ad and could not see what I was talking about. Then I broke the ad down piece by piece.

The ad claims you can buy one piece of meat and you get another of equal value for FREE. Actually, the ad should read, buy 2 pieces of meat at half price. The 'scam' falls apart when you go to return the piece of meat you got for free. Reason for the return is you only wanted one piece of meat and being one piece was free, you return the paid for piece of meat. Not gonna happen.

The ad showed the meat already cooked. That means you can get it at the Deli. You go to the Deli and they tell you the price is 4 times what the ad says and it does not include the herbs nor the herb butter which the ad clearly shows.

The kind people at the Deli direct you to the Meat section were the meat is RAW!

well given that the meat was marked up at least two times before the 'reduction in price' (and possibly more) you weren't getting it for even a slight reduction off the real price anyway.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity
Hello Bornonthe cusp,
As mentioned earlier. A lot of ifs,buts, and maybes.

I have no answer as to how to discern truth from falsehood.I guess in some cases it will be common sense obvious--and often not.
Perhaps there are however clues which may help.

Maybe. If truth is imagined as an open book, then falsehood is possibly going to. be something more hidden, some sort of hidden agenda?

And if truth is imagined as free for the benefit of all, then falsehood is probably going to be the methodology of an agenda intending to benefit only a sub section-- maybe just the smallest sub section.

What sort of benefit, what sort of agenda? Probably-imo- an agenda attempting to achieve relative significance,-power.domination.reputation.fame ?

Are such agendas necessarily consciously pursued? Perhaps not. Perhaps driven by a subconscious need to counter the fear of not being?

When all along the only means --imo--capable of doing that is loving.

So falsehood makes a rod for its own back--until it is relinquished and reconnection sought.
petex

when you understand the kinds of agendas people share in common, a lot of things become more obvious. It is pretty easy to tell who is being shall we say disingenuous once you get to a certain point because once it becomes obvious what people want you know there are standard things people will do to try to get it. Flowery words being one of the standard things that a lot of people who want this or that will use... that is kind of like the ardent admirer wooing the girl, you will say simply anything to win her over even if you don't particularly mean it.

I'm not saying I find this bad or offensive by the way, it is just the way it is. Personally I prefer to know what it is than be confused all the time... although I suppose I would have chosen differently if I'd ever had a real choice in the matter sigh.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:19 PM
ant

Quote:
What are you talking about?

Haha,i have no idea.

I got on the bender last night and the eagle took flight.

Sorry.