Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 20-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I guess he is not your God.......

By the way, how much of the Old Testament have you read?

the 'orthodox gnostic' view, or one of them, is to take the higher view of the squabbles and rise above them. nothing is outside God including the Old Testament. the overall sources of information inform and fall into context leaving us free to rise above the infighting over God and take a balanced view of things.
Old 20-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Master
Wise saying.

But then there is the issue to resolve the 'Old Testament' in relationship to God.

While in captivity in Babylon, the last thing on the mind of the Jews was if they would ever return to their homeland. Then Cyrus II came, conquered Babylon and 'freed' the Jews.

While in Babylon, besides writing the Talmud, some of the books of the Old Testament were worked on and such books such as Genesis, I suspect, were finalized. The Law probably was written in Babylon and it laid out hope of a restoration of what was once lost and that it will be restored in the future.

Some people claim the Old Testament is violent, but compared to other religions and countries of that time, the Law was better than what was available.

Even today, it is hard to find laws that restore property rights after a set period: even including becoming a freeman after being a slave. Even the methods to eliminate poverty, etc. were unique.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 21-10-2019, 02:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The bible says the Canaanites were wiped out by the Israelites but scientists just found their descendants living in Lebanon.

‘You shall not leave alive anything that breathes. But you shall utterly destroy them’

Well ' God ' got that wrong..... thankfully.
Scientist claim the Neanderthal people became extinct along time ago but you and me still have some of their DNA.

As for the Canaanites, the Bible tells a slight different version "And they utterly destroyed
all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, ox and sheep and donkey,
with the edge of the sword". (Joshua 6:21) I do not think all the Canaanites were in that city.

But the Israelite's did not listen to God as they did not kill all of the Canaanites......

Today, some people believe genocide was committed on the Canaanites and God is/was evil based upon this example.

Canaanites belief in child sacrifice, men having sex with boys and other 'perversions. That is why
Sodom and Gomorrah
were destroyed. Some people say God did good, whereas others say he did bad. Figure it out, I can't.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 21-10-2019, 05:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Scientist claim the Neanderthal people became extinct along time ago but you and me still have some of their DNA.

As for the Canaanites, the Bible tells a slight different version "And they utterly destroyed
all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, ox and sheep and donkey,
with the edge of the sword". (Joshua 6:21) I do not think all the Canaanites were in that city.

But the Israelite's did not listen to God as they did not kill all of the Canaanites......

Today, some people believe genocide was committed on the Canaanites and God is/was evil based upon this example.

Canaanites belief in child sacrifice, men having sex with boys and other 'perversions. That is why
Sodom and Gomorrah
were destroyed. Some people say God did good, whereas others say he did bad. Figure it out, I can't.

' Figure it out, I can't. '

I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to work ' Myths ' out. reality is easier
Old 21-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Master
Quote:
' Figure it out, I can't. '

I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to work ' Myths ' out. reality is easier
You were the one who brought up the Canaanites as an example of the violence in the Old Testament. Considering what the Canaanites were doing, I suspect most if not all the God(s)/god(s) would not condone such activity.

Over the millenniums, many have tried to discredit the Jews and their God. Christians sometimes have issues with the Jewish God not realizing it is their God also. In modern times one person who brought up issues with the Jews was Martin Luther. It is no surprise that some stores will not carry some of his books for obvious reasons.

Old 21-10-2019, 06:27 AM
Master
Quote:
You were the one who brought up the Canaanites as an example of the violence in the Old Testament. Considering what the Canaanites were doing, I suspect most if not all the God(s)/god(s) would not condone such activity.

Over the millenniums, many have tried to discredit the Jews and their God. Christians sometimes have issues with the Jewish God not realizing it is their God also. In modern times one person who brought up issues with the Jews was Martin Luther. It is no surprise that some stores will not carry some of his books for obvious reasons.

Yes the OT is full of violence and the sad thing is that some believe and therefore practice these Teachings today in 2019, that's the problem...
Myths have become reality....
Old 21-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Yes the OT is full of violence and the sad thing is that some believe and therefore practice these Teachings today in 2019, that's the problem...
Is that your mantra?

Did your ever find anything worthwhile in the Old Testament?

If somebody was doing children sacrifice like the Canaanites were doing,
and you had the power to do something about it, would you do nothing?

Old 21-10-2019, 06:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Name one religion or belief system that does not have violence?

Old 21-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Name one religion or belief system that does not have violence?

I'm referring to Christianity, I'll leave the other followers of other Religions/belief systems to condone their own.
Old 21-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Master
Quote:
I'm referring to Christianity, I'll leave the other followers of other Religions/belief systems to condone their own.
Why do you look upon Christianity as being so bad?

Is Christianity really that bad in your eyes?

Closed Thread