Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 23-08-2021, 08:42 AM
Eelco

outside hip pain in burmese pose

Does anyone have any recommendations, stretches or yoga poses that could help?
After siting burmese style voor about 20 minutes a sharp pain arises on the outside of my hips where the top of the femur is.

I think it's a ligement that's just to stiff. I would like to lossen it somewhat somehow.
Sitting and breathing through repeatedly and over time doesn't seem to help.
Old 23-08-2021, 03:49 PM
Ascender

Try doing some hip flexor stretches. There's a half pigeon pose in yoga that may be helpful for you as well.
Old 23-08-2021, 05:46 PM
Ascender
That's how I usually sit, it takes time to hold it without pain (it can be months).
You can do it with a pillow or cushion at the beginning.

You can do the butterfly pose for a few minutes before the burmese.

If it's a sharp pain, I'm thinking of a pinched nerve once some muscles have been relaxed, have you tried re-adjusting the position after the pain? With a more open angle of the legs maybe.
You can also switch the foot that is touching the pelvis.

And you can also google "hips opening positions" and find which ones seem to give the best results for you (to do before the session).

Anyways, it takes time and it happens a lot, so no worries.
Old 24-08-2021, 12:02 AM
You hurt it. Rest it for now. Ice it.
Do small stretches when it doesn't hurt any more.
Then, still go slowly ---you should be fine.
Never 'force', remember.
And do warmups, even for this position! Warmups are like putting oil in a rusty hinge before
you open a door a few times fast...or overly opening it which is what you did.
(synovial fluid is the body's oil)

Tip: Are you dehydrated? Are you taking multi-minerals ---esp magnesium?
Remember coffee and alcohol will dehydrate you fast! And suck the magnesium right outta your tissues.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 24-08-2021, 12:03 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Are you taking multi-minerals ---esp magnesium
Thank you, I got me some today, no alcohol, but I live on coffee and sigs.
It's not that I hurt them. The pain has been coming consistently for years when I sit, but since I'm thinking of doing a 10 day retreat next year where instead of sitting an hour a day, I'll be sitting 8 tot 12 a day, I better start preparing a bit.
Old 24-08-2021, 01:36 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
The pain has been coming consistently for years when I sit, but since I'm thinking of doing a 10 day retreat next year where instead of sitting an hour a day, I'll be sitting 8 tot 12 a day, I better start preparing a bit.
Oops sorry, I thought you were starting

What you're saying reminds me of a video of this man (I'll post the video itself if I can find it again)
https://www.youtube.com/c/AcharyaShreeYogeesh/videos
in which he says there is no real point to wake up at 4 in the morning and start meditating for 3 hours, because you'll most likely sleep.
Better wake up at 6am and do it fully awake for one hour.
And he was blaming a bit those retreats with full day meditation.

I too was seduced by that idea of meditation retreats.
Then I thought "hey, why torturing myself while I could just go hiking in the mountains?".

Anyways, yeah, I should :mouthshut:, I bet you already wonder "but who's that guy who's telling me what I should do or not"
Old 24-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Eelco

Not at all, I'm taking your previous suggestions in consideration. Wanted to apply already, but parenting and work got in the way.
I've been on retreat before so I know what to expect. Didn't sleep till 6, but found the early morning hours very pleasant.
Old 24-08-2021, 02:04 PM
Ascender
Quote:
I've been on retreat before so I know what to expect.
Did you meet interesting people? Because that's actually the reason I would go, if I ever do.

Quote:
Didn't sleep till 6, but found the early morning hours very pleasant.
Morning person too :)
Old 24-08-2021, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Thank you, I got me some today, no alcohol, but I live on coffee and sigs.
It's not that I hurt them. The pain has been coming consistently for years when I sit, but since I'm thinking of doing a 10 day retreat next year where instead of sitting an hour a day, I'll be sitting 8 to 12 a day, I better start preparing a bit.
I was quite surprised meditating with the SRF group,
(for newbies, that would be Paramahansa Yoganandas's Foundation)---and the room was filled with chairs! Huh?
Well, I'll be darned he fashioned meditation for Western people to relate to in the 1930s!
I never felt more comfortable and no issue with forgetting about the body!!
Who knew!? Lol.
As we get older I bet many a meditation group will offer chairs.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 24-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
Did you meet interesting people? Because that's actually the reason I would go, if I ever do.
IIf I got a chance to talk to them probably. This retreat was held in noble silence. So 15 minutes a day an update with the teacher and the rest was non stop Ajahn Tong's adaptation of Mahasi Sayadaw style vipassana meditation.