Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 04-04-2021, 08:42 AM
Master

different bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Yoga (as well as other systems) teaches that we have more than one body. In Yoga these bodies are called koshas or sheaths, and usually five are named:
The deeper yoga practices are intrinsically linked with Advaita, because the knowledge of Advaita is a state of samadhi. Remember that Ramana Maharshi spent over 20 years in deep meditation after his realisation, before he began teaching.
Thanks for wonderful post with good descriptive explanation . Patanjali is really treasure trove of Yogshastra. It's always a pleasure to read it again.

Once again thanks for sharing.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:03 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
The deeper yoga practices are intrinsically linked with Advaita, because the knowledge of Advaita is a state of samadhi. Remember that Ramana Maharshi spent over 20 years in deep meditation after his realisation, before he began teaching.

Peace
It's an interesting relationship and not only to Patanjali's techniques. Before I came across Advaita and specifically Jnana Yoga my practice consisted of Vipassana calm abiding, which more or less is mindfulness of breath, and do nothing meditation and practiced mostly for the secular benefits.

Do nothing is an excellent technique for allowing the self-evident nature of consciousness to reveal Itself by stilling mind in a way that facilitates going beyond the observer trap. Advaita helped me put it into a context I probably would never have arrived at if left to my own devices.

Going further I'd say that one technique has the capacity, if practiced diligently, to deposit one in that "space" where even the "I" thought is but an object of awareness and no longer central to one's identity. At least for me and as far as I can determine it was the practice that resulted in that "shift" in identification and when I came across Advaita it was one of those very rare "Wow!" moments, a keen, unmistakable and profound insight.