Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > Forum Help

Old 05-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Deactivated Account
phantom members?

I'm always in awe of the indicated number of members shown as having visited this website on any particular day.

Usernames fascinate me so I've clicked on various ones that caught my eye, hoping to find something interesting about them. When I did I was sometimes told I didn't have the necessary permissions to view - a default message when there's a search error I expect.

So then I started searching manually for those usernames, the ones earlier searches didn't find. Often the new search would find the username but clicking on it then indicated no such member. I didn't check all such entries but I was somewhat surprised that a member shown as visiting the website actually had no entry in the listing of members anyway.

Additionally I found some members registered for a couple of years or more who showed no postings in that whole time but had apparently visited today. That's understandable, though, because some members never post and they visit just to read.

The site's membership statistics indicate over 203 thousand members with perhaps 12% being 'active'. (no indication what 'active' means) The first figure is likely to be the total number of registrations ever made, many of which may have never become active members, however defined. The nearly 2,800 members is still an impressive total but how many might the site be misidentifying as 'active', I wonder?

I love figures.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Administrator
Hello

Sadly there are "Spammers" that get into that part of the site but do not have an open account. I have a filter in Admin that stops them that far.

Lynn
Old 06-09-2020, 05:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
I'm always in awe of the indicated number of members shown as having visited this website on any particular day.

Usernames fascinate me so I've clicked on various ones that caught my eye, hoping to find something interesting about them.
bobjob,

you seem to have a very good analytical mind.
I have noticed some oddities such as you mentioned and then there are some who are spammers as Lynn mentioned.

I am glad to see others mention this abnormalities......

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:16 AM
Master

When I read "phantom members" I thought you're referring to what amputees experience, and to Kirlian photography ...
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:33 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
bobjob,
you seem to have a very good analytical mind.
I have noticed some oddities such as you mentioned and then there are some who are spammers as Lynn mentioned.
I am glad to see others mention this abnormalities......
thanks

Someone recently had a pop at me, asking me whether I 'over-analyse'. I said I don't think I do but sometimes I notice 'stuff' that looks odd.

I don't know how or why the website's counters log a visit along against a username when the member database includes no such member.

I don't allow spammers on my site.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:35 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
When I read "phantom members" I thought you're referring to what amputees experience, and to Kirlian photography ...

I see why.... That's an interesting subject.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:51 AM
Deactivated Account
An unscientific, quick look this morning - 00:00 PST, UK 8 o'clock breakfast.

I counted 9 'phantom' visits recorded out of 27 usernames on the first two lines; a total of 150 visits had been recorded 'today'. (I don't know if today began at midnight UK - probably as it's a Brit-located server.)

So - expressing it differently - a third of the entries on the first couple of lines of visitors were 'voids'. Visits logged against usernames presumably (I didn't check today) not in the member database.

I expect there's a sound reason but the picture looks odd.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:01 AM
Master
Quote:
An unscientific, quick look this morning - 00:00 PST, UK 8 o'clock breakfast.

I counted 9 'phantom' visits recorded out of 27 usernames on the first two lines; a total of 150 visits had been recorded 'today'. (I don't know if today began at midnight UK - probably as it's a Brit-located server.)
I have seen numerous bogus names that look almost the same. For example:
Victorrwr
Victorgvc
Victorjfj

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:07 AM
Deactivated Account
It's not a surprise there are such similar names but I don't understand how visits are attributed to them if they're not in the member database.

Maybe it's just that the website software counts all visits, even those from names no longer recorded in the member database?
Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 AM
Master
Quote:
It's not a surprise there are such similar names but I don't understand how visits are attributed to them if they're not in the member database.
Maybe it's just that the website software counts all visits, even those from names no longer recorded in the member database?
I have no idea!!!!