Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 15-04-2022, 09:23 PM
Tedmil

Why was John 3:4 altered so significantly?

In KJV, Nicodemus asked an explict question. Yet, in NIV Nicodemus' question has been changed into a declaration:

Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!
Old 15-04-2022, 10:08 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedmil
In KJV, Nicodemus asked an explict question. Yet, in NIV Nicodemus' question has been changed into a declaration:
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!
No significant difference at all unless one believes the words must be exactly the same……
Old 15-04-2022, 10:57 PM
Master
Tedmil,
your answer probably can be answered in how a question was construed in Koine Greek.

By the way, how did you come to that conclusion?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Last edited by BigJohn : 16-04-2022 at 12:26 AM.
Old 16-04-2022, 12:42 AM
Tedmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
No significant difference at all unless one believes the words must be exactly the same……
Both version are answered with an affirmation, so an explicit question vs a statement changes the context completely.
Old 16-04-2022, 12:49 AM
Master
How did you discern a question in Koine Greek?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 16-04-2022, 01:35 AM
Bambo

Unhappy

The whole "bible" has been changed so much its unreliable now........
Old 16-04-2022, 01:42 AM
Master
If so, then what was changed in John 3:4 in the Koine Greek: the source, hopefully for both translations?

By the way, when you translate the English question mark back in to Koine Greek, what do you get?

That is the 'problem'.

Old 16-04-2022, 02:26 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedmil
If I remember correctly Ms Hepburn posted this chart:
https://faithfoundedonfact.com/wp-co..._1024x1024.png
So, KJV is more word-for-word; NIV is more thought-for-thought so it is more interpreted by the translator.

In Greek:
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/3-4.htm
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 16-04-2022, 02:44 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Now that chart is a keeper.
I never saw it!!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 16-04-2022, 03:06 AM
Master

Usually the "Pulpit Commentary" makes the most sense to me:
https://biblehub.com/commentaries/john/3-4.htm
In my interpretation, JC was talking about a spiritual re-birth needed to be able to do those miracles, but Nicodemus misunderstood the metaphor. Then JC explained more.

The question formulation is more polite, so it is more likely with the spirit of the story.

======
EDIT after reading the context:

John 3:1 says that Nicodemus was a Pharisee, a ruler of Jews, so he might have actually challenged JC, and he was brazen. From this perspective, the affirmation seems more likely.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.