Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 AM
Newbie ;)

Are the Mantras used in Transcendental Meditation meaningless or...?

Hey everyone,

I've recently come across this Transcendental Meditation which is said to be a natural, effortless technique where the person has to sit with the eyes closed for 20 minutes and repeat a mantra silently in his mind.

This mantra is said to be meaningless word or sound and has nothing to do with religion. However, I have some doubts.

First of all, How would I know that the mantra is meaningless? The teacher will give me the mantra to chant in my mind and tell me that it's meaningless. But what if it had a meaning? What if it's not meaningless? I never know right..

Secondly, in what "sense" is it meaningless? There can be two possibilities:

1.) It's meaningless because I don't know the meaning of the word/sound. (The Teacher did not tell me)

2.) It's meaningless because the meaning does not exist.

For example, if somebody does not know English and does not know what "Tulip" means and does not try to know what Tulip means, it's meaningless for him because he does not know the meaning. But in reality, it's not meaningless. (He will know the meaning if he Googles it)

Second example, if the word is something like "nnnnnnn" or "aaaaa" which has just sound and no meaning associated with it. Even if you Google you won't find the meaning, because it does not exist.

So my question, "In which sense the Mantra is meaningless?", In a sense that the practitioner DOES NOT know the meaning or in a sense that the meaning does not exist?

Thirdly, I have heard that the mantras used in the practice of Transcendental Meditation are actually the names of Hindu Deities or are associated with Hindu Deities. Is that true?

and Lastly, I have also heard that any word or sound can be used to Transcend the mind. If that's true, why do they use only Sanskrit words in the practice and why do they tell people to keep their mantras secret if ANY word can be used?

I would really appreciate if someone can shed some light on the doubts I have about Transcendental Meditation.

Thanks,
Usman.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonboy46
Hey everyone,

I've recently come across this Transcendental Meditation which is said to be a natural, effortless technique where the person has to sit with the eyes closed for 20 minutes and repeat a mantra silently in his mind.

This mantra is said to be meaningless word or sound and has nothing to do with religion. However, I have some doubts.

First of all, How would I know that the mantra is meaningless? The teacher will give me the mantra to chant in my mind and tell me that it's meaningless. But what if it had a meaning? What if it's not meaningless? I never know right..

Secondly, in what "sense" is it meaningless? There can be two possibilities:

1.) It's meaningless because I don't know the meaning of the word/sound. (The Teacher did not tell me)

2.) It's meaningless because the meaning does not exist.

For example, if somebody does not know English and does not know what "Tulip" means and does not try to know what Tulip means, it's meaningless for him because he does not know the meaning. But in reality, it's not meaningless. (He will know the meaning if he Googles it)

Second example, if the word is something like "nnnnnnn" or "aaaaa" which has just sound and no meaning associated with it. Even if you Google you won't find the meaning, because it does not exist.

So my question, "In which sense the Mantra is meaningless?", In a sense that the practitioner DOES NOT know the meaning or in a sense that the meaning does not exist?

Thirdly, I have heard that the mantras used in the practice of Transcendental Meditation are actually the names of Hindu Deities or are associated with Hindu Deities. Is that true?

and Lastly, I have also heard that any word or sound can be used to Transcend the mind. If that's true, why do they use only Sanskrit words in the practice and why do they tell people to keep their mantras secret if ANY word can be used?

I would really appreciate if someone can shed some light on the doubts I have about Transcendental Meditation.

Thanks,
Usman.

TM uses a sound which is not a word. It has no literal meaning. You could google it and find out a lot more, and I suggest researching various different traditions, including the Buddhist or Zen and so on, because there are different traditional approaches, and better to have a range of options to choose from.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Master

Hi dragonboy46,

Your question presents two concerns:

1) General principle:
One fixes exclusive attention on the mantra so as to prohibit the incessant movement of mind.
In that regard the mantra could be anything, including something quite generic or ‘meaningless’.
2) Specifics:
A person may also have an inspirational or devotional affinity with the particular mantra depending on their own needs, experience and temperament.
Any mantra which has a spiritual significance in that regard, would therefore have additional emotional power or efficacy.

Between those two factors, there is a huge range of possibility.
However, if one has never attempted meditation before, the important thing would be to begin some practice in order to get some experience, which will then be the basis to make further adjustments.

Also, just to mention that mantra, although effective, it is not the only method available.
Many people find that they don't do well with mantra, and in that case, other methods could be considered and explored.

Then again, some use mantra to begin a meditation session, because it serves to quickly focus.

There is a wide range of methods and techniques, all of which may be employed in creative ways. The important thing is to just get started and continue. That way, the higher parts of being will begin to spontaneously inform and direct the process.

~ J

Old 13-06-2016, 12:56 AM
Pathfinder

I have no experience w/ TM, but have been a Zen practitioner for 15-20 years. On one level, the words can be a sort of empowerment. One of the many things we chant, in some Zen centers, is to save all sentient beings. You can't really do that of course, the task is too great, but it's a good intention.

On another level, you could be chanting "mickey mouse, mickey mouse" and it would work OK too. The idea in most meditation is to place your attention somewhere so that your mind can just do it's crazy thought loops so we won't get caught up in it. Then there's the physical resonance of the chants or mantras if spoken aloud, which can be powerful. Some people burst into tears at high level drum circles because the sound resonance effects a body release. So if you're chanting, silently or otherwise, something to just have a focus, it can be nonsense and work fine.

Buddhists usually meditate w/ the eyes open, as it discourages fantasies. The purpose is really to wake us up and increase our awareness, and if you meditate w/ your eyes closed, it's real easy to fall asleep and tumble off the chair or cushion! This can be embarrassing, but is often good entertainment for the Zen master, who will look daggers, but will usually be seen to be smiling later.