Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 22-12-2020, 10:17 PM
JustASimpleGuy

The Swami Sarvapriyananda Thread

I post a lot of links to Swami Sarvapriyananda's talks in various threads and for those interested I thought to post my favorites in one thread.

https://www.vedantany.org/resident-swamis/

Swami Sarvapriyananda has been appointed as Minister and Spiritual Leader of the Vedanta Society of New York, and assumed his duties here on January 6, 2017. He is a Nagral Fellow for 2019-20 at Harvard Divinity School.
Old 22-12-2020, 10:19 PM
JustASimpleGuy

The Atman

https://youtu.be/P14cRV-m6ZY?list=PL...yrF2rGcUqIb4OF

Swami Sarvapriyananda speaks on the nature of the self as taught in the Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 2 Verse 11-25).
Old 23-12-2020, 12:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I post a lot of links to Swami Sarvapriyananda's talks in various threads and for those interested I thought to post my favorites in one thread.

https://www.vedantany.org/resident-swamis/

Swami Sarvapriyananda has been appointed as Minister and Spiritual Leader of the Vedanta Society of New York, and assumed his duties here on January 6, 2017. He is a Nagral Fellow for 2019-20 at Harvard Divinity School.

I have a friend who was very interested in hearing about Advaita (non-duality) so I took him to the Vedanta Society in NYC to listen to Swami Sarvapriyananda. Afterwards, we went downstairs for the vegetarian meal where Swami took additional questions from anyone who had a question.

There is no question that Sarvapriyananda presents clearly and articulately with an engaging sense of humor. I could not think of a better person to introduce my friend to Advaita.

I have been fortunate to have attended many talks by Sarvapriyanda in person and to have sat at the table with him afterwards to ask more questions. He certainly is very very knowledgeable and an excellent presenter. He is even more interesting when not on the dais.
Old 23-12-2020, 01:40 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I have a friend who was very interested in hearing about Advaita (non-duality) so I took him to the Vedanta Society in NYC to listen to Swami Sarvapriyananda. Afterwards, we went downstairs for the vegetarian meal where Swami took additional questions from anyone who had a question.

There is no question that Sarvapriyananda presents clearly and articulately with an engaging sense of humor. I could not think of a better person to introduce my friend to Advaita.

I have been fortunate to have attended many talks by Sarvapriyanda in person and to have sat at the table with him afterwards to ask more questions. He certainly is very very knowledgeable and an excellent presenter. He is even more interesting when not on the dais.

I had planned on hopping Amtrak from Albany this past summer and catching him live, however COVID dashed that plan. I see you're in Brooklyn. I grew up in Far Rockaway.

And yes, he's an excellent speaker and his knowledge of the subject matter is par excellence. I do love his sense of humor too. I consider him my teacher however I also watch the videos on the Arsha Bodha Center YT channel presented by Swami Tadatmananda. He's currently doing a weekly series on Atma Bodha of Shankaracharya and it's very good.

Here's the latest: https://youtu.be/OC_kan_RQ04
Old 23-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Master
Quote:
I had planned on hopping Amtrak from Albany this past summer and catching him live, however COVID dashed that plan. I see you're in Brooklyn. I grew up in Far Rockaway.

And yes, he's an excellent speaker and his knowledge of the subject matter is par excellence. I do love his sense of humor too. I consider him my teacher however I also watch the videos on the Arsha Bodha Center YT channel presented by Swami Tadatmananda. He's currently doing a weekly series on Atma Bodha of Shankaracharya and it's very good.

Here's the latest: https://youtu.be/OC_kan_RQ04

Actually, Swami Sarvapriyana was taking courses at Harvard prior to the pandemic so he wasn't in NYC as often while he was taking courses. I am not sure where he is now, but we had substitute teachers for a while.

You are correct that I am in Brooklyn. If you should visit the Vedanta Society once it opens again after the pandemic, send me a private message as I would be very receptive to meeting you at the Vedanta Society. Incidentally, I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years and they used to have great vegetarian meals after the service when the center was open.

P.S. I also attended a few of Sarvapriyananda's lectures on Gaudapada's Katrika on the Mandukya Upanishad. It has been stated that Shankaracharya explicitly said that, if a person was to read one and only one Upanishad, it should be the very short Mandukya Upanishad. That is one of my favorites as it led me to the conscious sleep practice whereby one can really "Know Yourself" by remaining aware during the three states of man (deep sleep, dream formation, the so-called waking state which is not really "awake" for most) and the transitions between the three states. The fourth state, Turiya, thus becomes clearer.
Old 23-12-2020, 03:02 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Actually, Swami Sarvapriyana was taking courses at Harvard prior to the pandemic so he wasn't in NYC as often while he was taking courses. I am not sure where he is now, but we had substitute teachers for a while.

You are correct that I am in Brooklyn. If you should visit the Vedanta Society once it opens again after the pandemic, send me a private message as I would be very receptive to meeting you at the Vedanta Society. Incidentally, I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years and they used to have great vegetarian meals after the service when the center was open.

P.S. I also attended a few of Sarvapriyananda's lectures on Gaudapada's Katrika on the Mandukya Upanishad. It has been stated that Shankaracharya explicitly said that, if a person was to read one and only one Upanishad, it should be the very short Mandukya Upanishad. That is one of my favorites as it led me to the conscious sleep practice whereby one can really "Know Yourself" by remaining aware during the three states of man (deep sleep, dream formation, the so-called waking state which is not really "awake" for most) and the transitions between the three states. The fourth state, Turiya, thus becomes clearer.

When the pandemic and its restrictions lessen and in-person lectures resume in Manhattan I'm definitely going to some and I'd love to coordinate attending where practical and schedules permit!

I too am very fond of the Mandukya Upanishad. Deep dreamless sleep is not the absence of experience but the experience of absence.

Back in 2015 and before I came across Vedanta I practiced techniques to induce lucid dreaming for half a year and with some success. I recently decided to take those practices back up and had the best LD yet several nights back. It was spontaneous too. No reality check needed. It just instantly dawned on me I was dreaming and I remembered to rub my hands together and say "I am dreaming" several times, thus stabilizing lucidity and extending the LD for as much of the dream as I could recall. Prospective memory was on the ball. LOL!

There's one site I'm a member of but haven't been active since 2015 called dreamviews and with several very skilled lucid dreamers. One member offers free courses in Dream Yoga with a separate sub-forum for techniques, exercises, reports, etc...
Old 23-12-2020, 05:51 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Who is the Witness of the Mind?

This is a short one and based on the Aitareya Upanishad.

https://youtu.be/XRmeL7UqE_g?list=PL...F2rGcUqIb4O F

Swami Sarvapriyananda talks about the witness behind the mind. This video is part of a Q&A from Nov 19, 2017.

On the Seer and the Seen https://www.advaita-vision.org/on-th...-and-the-seen/

Consciousness, wearing us as a costume, impels us to perceive. The same Consciousness, wearing the world as a costume, impels it to be known.The One Knowingness (Consciousness) appears as the knower and also as the known.

Drig Drishya Viveka -The Seer & the Seen. This is used as an object of inquiry in Vedantic meditation or self-inquiry. The entire process is shravana (hearing), manana (contemplation), nididhyasana (meditation of self-inquity).

https://medium.com/@sujatha.ratnala/...n-a86c2605d221

This is the heart of Jnana Yoga. https://athma-spiritualbliss.blogspo...idhyasana.html

By sravana , Knowledge dawns. That is the flame.

By manana , the Knowledge is not allowed to vanish.
Just as the flame is protected by a wind-screen, so
the other thoughts are not allowed to overwhelm the
right knowledge.

By nididhyasana the flame is kept up
to burn bright by trimming the wick. Whenever other
thoughts arise, the mind is turned inward to the light
of true knowledge.
Old 25-12-2020, 11:08 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Teachings of Jesus Christ

In the spirit of the season...

https://youtu.be/3sVv3dqlUjA

Jesus’s teachings were characterised by short, pithy statements that used striking imagery to capture the imagination of listeners. His most famous teachings are the sermon on the mount.
Old 25-12-2020, 08:37 PM
Master
Quote:
When the pandemic and its restrictions lessen and in-person lectures resume in Manhattan I'm definitely going to some and I'd love to coordinate attending where practical and schedules permit!

I too am very fond of the Mandukya Upanishad. Deep dreamless sleep is not the absence of experience but the experience of absence.

Back in 2015 and before I came across Vedanta I practiced techniques to induce lucid dreaming for half a year and with some success. I recently decided to take those practices back up and had the best LD yet several nights back. It was spontaneous too. No reality check needed. It just instantly dawned on me I was dreaming and I remembered to rub my hands together and say "I am dreaming" several times, thus stabilizing lucidity and extending the LD for as much of the dream as I could recall. Prospective memory was on the ball. LOL!

There's one site I'm a member of but haven't been active since 2015 called dreamviews and with several very skilled lucid dreamers. One member offers free courses in Dream Yoga with a separate sub-forum for techniques, exercises, reports, etc...

I've practiced "conscious sleep" for years and have been able to watch dream formation from start to finish. Lucid dreaming seems to be a subset of that process.
Old 25-12-2020, 08:49 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
I've practiced "conscious sleep" for years and have been able to watch dream formation from start to finish. Lucid dreaming seems to be a subset of that process.

That almost sounds like the WILD technique (Wake Induce Lucid Dream). One never loses consciousness while going to sleep. The body goes into its sleep cycle but waking consciousness is maintained. The more expert practitioners use the hypnagogia during transition to create the dreamscape they then enter.