Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 30-09-2021, 07:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
until we are more well established in "true" self, our "Buddha nature.".

In Buddhism as taught by The Buddha there is no ' True ' self..... Our 'True Nature' is Emptiness not Buddha Nature.... Rather than Post His Teachings you can google yourself and find Sutras/Suttas etc:
Old 30-09-2021, 10:14 PM
AbodhiSky

This stuff is pretty basic:

Quote:
This "true Self" is the Buddha-nature (Tathagatagarbha), which is present in all sentient beings, and realized by the awakened ones.

Source: Ātman (Buddhism)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30-09-2021, 11:58 PM
Master

Quote:
This "true Self" is the Buddha-nature (Tathagatagarbha), which is present in all sentient beings, and realized by the awakened ones.
it always bothered me that if I go to a lot of effort to find something, my life turns into a reflection of that effort. Then how can I honestly say I've found something as precious as a 'true self' if I'm just going find what I always sought to be?
Old 01-10-2021, 04:52 AM
Master
According Buddhism all sorts of 'self theory' are said to lead to distress. 'Buddha nature' is a bit of a nebulous term, but 'Buddha' ultimately refers to the quality of enlightenment within oneself. We call some individuals 'Buddha' but that quality doesn't reside in a body or our identity image of body/persona. Hence in Buddhism, seeking 'true self' or 'buddha nature' is not described as the path. The path is the 8 fold path which includes moral foundations for meditation and insight. The enlightenment is noticed as if by accident, which no one makes make happen, and ceasing to 'make things happen' for the sake of awareness of 'what is' is the general gist of it.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:13 AM
Master
Quote:
This stuff is pretty basic:

Source: Ātman (Buddhism)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia is definitely basic that's why I always recommend reading Buddhist Teachings. HHDL speaks about 'Emptiness' being our 'True Nature ' in various Teachings.

' Lord, the Tathagatagarbha is neither self nor sentient being, nor soul, nor personality etc: ' Lions Roar Sutra...
Old 01-10-2021, 08:02 AM
AbodhiSky

"Even if you can explain thousands of sutras and shastras, unless you see your own nature yours is the teaching of a mortal, not a Buddha. The true Way is sublime. It can’t be expressed in language. Of what use are scriptures? But someone who sees his own nature finds the Way, even if he can’t read a word." Bodhidharma, founder of Zen Buddhism.

I myself think words/teachings can lead to insights and realizations, insights and realizations lead to understanding, understanding leads to enlightenment. I'd agree with Bodhidharma that words/teachings in themselves are pretty worthless. It's our pondering on the words/teachings, looking for what they point to in the now and actual, in ourselves, contemplation, meditation, self awareness, these lead to realizations and insights into our own nature and changes in us.

Words and teachings by themselves (without self introspection) seem to lead to big ego's a lot of the time. The I am right and they are wrong type of person. I know more and they know less. I am above and them below. Such a person seeks ego pleasures. Putting themselves up by judging someone else as below. Such a person is not self aware. If one is always looking at others, judging others, concerned with others, pointing at others, they have no interest in knowing themselves. But then their vanity of ego is they have already arrived. They know "truth." But the truth is no one is above or below. We are all the same. There is nothing to find or seek or become. It is already here. We are already it.

We are just playing a game of pretending we are something or someone else.

We are love. That's all.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 PM
Master
Quote:
"Even if you can explain thousands of sutras and shastras, unless you see your own nature yours is the teaching of a mortal, not a Buddha.

Yes He was a very wise Teacher. I personally enjoy 'Wall gazing' but not for 9 years as He 'Supposedly ' did
Old 02-10-2021, 03:29 PM
AbodhiSky

If you sleep, Desire grows in you Like a vine in the forest. Like a monkey in the forest You jump from tree to tree, Never finding the fruit - From life to life, Never finding peace. If you are filled with desire Your sorrows swell Like the grass after the rain. But if you subdue desire Your sorrows shall fall from you Like drops of water from a lotus flower.
Gautama Buddha
Old 02-10-2021, 04:39 PM
Master
Interesting, wise advice.

It is interesting that Gautama Buddha used a monkey in this analogy being he claimed he once was a monkey.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 02-10-2021, 05:44 PM
Master
Quote:
If you sleep, Desire grows in you Like a vine in the forest.
Gautama Buddha
Definitely we need to be 'Awake'