Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 17-09-2020, 05:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
Would something like this interest you at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjPdqd7mQM

I think some like these kinds of philosophical teachings, discussions, some don't.

Thanks Phaelyn but I don't use Youtube for Teachings, I prefer to read.
Old 17-09-2020, 05:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Trying to quit or cut down at least, but the consecutive days of smoke
has got me loopier than usual.

Stay as you are but away from smoke
Old 17-09-2020, 08:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The path that takes you to nirvana is rooted in desire — in skillful desires.

So it's not uncharacteristic of The Buddha.

The Four Noble Truths give two roles to ' Desires '.

Depending on whether it's skillful or not. Unskillful desire is the cause of suffering; skillful desire forms part of the path to its cessation. Skillful desire undercuts unskillful desire, not by repressing it, but by producing greater and greater levels of satisfaction and well-being so that unskillful desire has no place to stand. This strategy of skillful desire is explicit in the path factor of right effort: etc...

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...inglimits.html

This article may help.
Even without a Dharma Teaching we can see for ourselves that ' Desires ' can be extremely beneficial, it depends on how you use them.

My turn to pay you a visit

The thing about spiritual paths and practice is that in many instances they are rooted within desires, egos, attachment, efforts, mindfulness etc etc ..

Some poo poo these self aspects but it's these very aspects that aid you and help in the transcendence of them .

self enquiry is a prime example .

x daz x
Old 17-09-2020, 08:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
My turn to pay you a visit

The thing about spiritual paths and practice is that in many instances they are rooted within desires, egos, attachment, efforts, mindfulness etc etc ..

Some poo poo these self aspects but it's these very aspects that aid you and help in the transcendence of them .

self enquiry is a prime example .

x daz x

Well I'm glad you did visit, your very welcome

' but it's these very aspects that aid you and help in the transcendence of them '

Exactly, use whatever tools are available until you have no need for them.

You can go home now, you've added your wisdom
Hasta la Vista.....
Old 17-09-2020, 08:37 AM
Master
[quote=sky123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm not interested in being helped or in helping anyone, but it is a reasonable article (though not in depth). I can't say I'm a big fan of his, so he isn't particularly compelling to me, but I tend to be critical of spiritual teachers in general, so that's not surprising.

His premises in themselves are not flawed because he says skillfulness is related to the desire happiness of yourself and others, which is summed up in the Metta Sutta: "May all beings be happy". His other criteria is based on desires that when acted upon create benefit rather than harm, which is the fundamental basis for Buddhist ethics. Hence his criteria for a 'skillful desire' is based on Sila and Metta, which implies virtue in a more general sense.

' I'm not interested in being helped '

Oh I thought you mentioned numerous times you attend an Ashram to learn Buddhist Meditation...

Quote:
Yes it is a reasonable Article, the depth comes through practice.... The clarification regarding ' Desires ' should be helpful to those who are unsure....

Promoting desire is ill-advised, and chasing enlightenment is like running the wrong way.
Old 17-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Master
[quote=Gem]
Quote:

' I'm not interested in being helped '

Oh I thought you mentioned numerous times you attend an Ashram to learn Buddhist Meditation...

Promoting desire is ill-advised, and chasing enlightenment is like running the wrong way.

Not according to The Buddha nor His Teachings which is what were discussing .
But at the end of the day everyone makes their own choice and the proof of the pudding is in the eating....

Btw, I don't see Buddhism/Buddhist ' Chasing ' enlightenment.
Old 17-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Just do what works for you. I rather like the chanting and the like; I find it one of the most beautiful parts of Buddhist artefacts.

Giving in is something also physical; I remember reading something by Luang Por Sumedho a while ago where he just wanted to meditate and do nothing else. He soon learnt otherwise, but then again he was under the wing of a Master.

YMMV

Respectfully,

JL

I believe what works works for everyone fundamentally. But I'm talking about purification, overcoming trauma, the path of truth and liberation, and 'the way' is the middle way. The excesses and deprivations are all symptoms of greed and aversion, and I'm sure the aesthetics deprive themselves out of 'skillful desires'. It follows that the middle way is achieved through absence of craving, which is the same thing as equanimity of mind. Hence the Buddha defined the medtiation as ardent awareness with understanding of impermanance free of aversion and desire in the world. It's simple as a principle (maybe too simple), but it's really subtle and is the most arduous thing anyone can do. Form that perspective, the variations of the sects are like bells and whistles which seem fun and all, but completely unnecessary.

No harm with drumming and creating a terrible din or doing all the farrout stuff the various sects get up to, but since that's sectarian and individually preferenced, I can't see how it's important.
Old 17-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Master
[quote=sky123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

Not according to The Buddha nor His Teachings which is what were discussing .
But at the end of the day everyone makes their own choice and the proof of the pudding is in the eating....

It's not the teachings of Buddha (and if it was there's no reason to believe it on that basis), but the interpretations that have been made, and for every argument for desire, there are points that contradict it. For every worded sutta there's another with different phrasing, but the fatal flaw is in thinking one side or another is the answer, when there's isn't actually any conclusion.
Old 17-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Master
[quote=Gem]
Quote:

It's not the teachings of Buddha (and if it was there's no reason to believe it on that basis), but the interpretations that have been made, and for every argument for desire, there are points that contradict it. For every worded sutta there's another with different phrasing, but the fatal flaw is in thinking one side or another is the answer, when there's isn't actually any conclusion.

' It's not the teachings of Buddha (and if it was there's no reason to believe it on that basis), '

It is actually the Teachings of The Buddha and the reason to believe it is through ' Practice ' .

' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them.'

Kalama Sutta....
Old 17-09-2020, 09:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Well I'm glad you did visit, your very welcome

' but it's these very aspects that aid you and help in the transcendence of them '

Exactly, use whatever tools are available until you have no need for them.

You can go home now, you've added your wisdom
Hasta la Vista.....

See you around

x daz x