Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 30-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Master
Book1 ashawagandha who takes it!

I know someone here does! He told me about it helping anxiety etc. So I bought a bottle and am starting.
Has anyone had any experience with this herb.
From what I'm reading it really helps with soothing the nervous system, and some research says is as effective as prescribed tranquilizers. But I'm wondering if it takes a while to work with anxiety or is it felt immedietly after taking?
This looks like a wonderful herb with many wonderful benefits including helping the immune system.
Thanks
Spiritlite.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Kapitan_Prien

*laughs*

Ok - when I got my bottle - I made the stupid mistake of taking one during the day - which managed to knock me out for the rest of the day. I spent that day napping on and off. *laughs*

So...I said to myself, "Nope - only at night with this stuff!" and just take one capsule at night (470 mg.) and it really helps me with getting the deep 'restorative' sleep that people with CFS don't get.

I love it because I don't wake up groggy or anything and do feel 'refreshed'. I plan to keep using this for who knows how long because it works so well for me.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Master
OH okay because I took one when I got home and I seriously feel like I've just taken an ativan (a prescription anti anxiety), so you find that it works for sleep immedietly?
WOW I'm so so happy you recommended this for me thankyou so so much.
Spiritlite
By the way do you take it on an empty stomach?
Old 30-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Yeah - it really knocked me for a loop as they say. Yeah it works relatively quick for me for sleeping. Sure thing on bringing it up for you.

Since I take it at night, it depends - I usually eat something before I go to bed (sometimes a light meal). I think though, if I remember right, the first time I took it (which was during the day) - it worked much faster in my system.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Master
Thanks yeah I took mine on an empty stomach like 2 and 1/2 hours ago and PHEW I'm struggling to stay away but I am loving the natural high it's giving me.
THANKS SO MUCH again for suggesting this it's a godsend for me
Spiritlite.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Master
Powerful Protective Effects on the Nervous System

Stress, environmental toxins, and poor nutrition all have a detrimental impact on our nervous systems.
Scientific studies support ashwagandha’s ability not only to relieve stress, but also to protect brain cells against the deleterious effects of our modern lifestyles.
For example, in validated models of anxiety and depression, ashwagandha has been demonstrated to be as effective as some tranquilizers and antidepressant drugs. Specifically, oral administration of ashwagandha for five days suggested anxiety-relieving effects similar to those achieved by the anti-anxiety drug lorazepam (AtivanĀ®), and antidepressant effects similar to those of the prescription antidepressant drug imipramine (TofranilĀ®).1
Stress can cause increased peroxidation of lipids, while decreasing levels of the antioxidant enzymes catalase and glutathione peroxidase. When ashwagandha extract was administered by re-searchers one hour before a daily stress-inducing procedure, all of the aforementioned parameters of free radical damage normalized in a dose-dependent manner.2 Premature aging associated with chronic nervous tension may be related to increased oxidative stress, which is abolished by the potent antioxidant properties of ashwagandha extract. Researchers believe this finding supports the clinical use of ashwagandha as an anti-stress agent.
Other studies of chronic stress support these findings. For example, in a remarkable animal study, examination of the brains of sacrificed animals showed that 85% of the brain cells observed in the animals exposed to chronic stress showed signs of degeneration. It is this type of cellular degeneration that can lead to long-term cognitive difficulties. Amazingly, when ashwagandha was administered to chronically stressed animals, the number of degenerating brain cells was reduced by 80%!3
In one of the most complete human clinical trials to date, researchers studied the effects of a standardized extract of ashwagandha on the negative effects of stress, including elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Many of the adverse effects of stress are thought to be related to elevated levels of cortisol. The results were impressive. The participants subjectively reported increased energy, reduced fatigue, better sleep, and an enhanced sense of well-being. The participants showed several measurable improvements, including a reduction of cortisol levels up to 26%, a decline in fasting blood sugar levels, and improved lipid profiles. It would appear from this study that ashwagandha can address many of the health and psychological issues that plague today’s society.4
Over the past five years, the Institute of Natural Medicine at the Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University in Japan has conducted extensive research into the brain benefits of ashwagandha. The Institute’s scientists were looking for ways to encourage the regeneration of nerve cell components called axons and dendrites in validated models of the human brain. This important research may one day benefit those who have incurred brain injuries due to physical trauma, as well as those who suffer cognitive decline due to destruction of the nerve cell networks from diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Using a validated model of damaged nerve cells and impaired nerve-signaling pathways, re-searchers noted that ashwagandha supported significant regeneration of the axons and dendrites of nerve cells. Furthermore, ashwagandha extract supported the reconstruction of synapses, the junctions where nerve cells communicate with other cells. The investigators concluded that ashwagandha extract helps to reconstruct networks of the nervous system, making it a potential treatment for neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.5
In another study at the same institute, researchers found that ashwagandha helped support the growth of nerve cell dendrites, which allow these cells to receive communications from other cells. This finding suggests that ashwagandha could help heal the brain tissue changes that accompany dementia.6
Finally, in a third published study, the researchers noted that ashwagandha helped promote the growth of both normal and damaged nerve cells, suggesting that the herb may boost healthy brain cell function as well as benefit diseased nerve cells.7
These findings provide tremendous hope that ashwagandha extracts may one day help heal neurodegenerative diseases in humans, freeing patients from the mental prisons of dementia and Alzheimer’s. Clearly, this is just the beginning of research into ashwagandha’s ability to encourage physical re-growth of the brain.
Ashwagandha also shows promise as a treatment for Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases, chronic neurodegenerative conditions for which there currently are no cures. In a recent study using a standardized model of human Parkinson’s disease, ashwagandha extract reversed all the parameters of Parkinson’s-type neurodegeneration significantly and in a dose-dependent manner.8 Remarkably, an earlier study showed that ashwagandha extract inhibits acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme responsible for breaking down one of the brain’s key chemical messengers. Drugs currently used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, such as AriceptĀ®, act in this very manner to slow the progression of this frightening, mind-robbing disease.9
Old 31-10-2010, 03:41 AM
Master
I love that post I copied and pasted, I especially like the idea of it lowering cortisol levels which is why people gain weight. I know I have a high level of cortisol level just beacuse I'm an anxious person by nature and also because of the type of job I'm in I'm on adrenaline for 9 hours 11 days a month that's a lot of hours.
Spiritlite.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Yeah - it's too much for me to take during the day. I don't need anything for the daytime - it's at night when I have problems (now if my wife was with me then I'd sleep better *laughs*). It's just that there's been too many things disrupting my sleep over the years, in addition to the trauma, that I've wound up messed up with getting the 'restorative' sleep. This helps me get that.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Racer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
I know someone here does! He told me about it helping anxiety etc. So I bought a bottle and am starting.
Has anyone had any experience with this herb.
From what I'm reading it really helps with soothing the nervous system, and some research says is as effective as prescribed tranquilizers. But I'm wondering if it takes a while to work with anxiety or is it felt immedietly after taking?
This looks like a wonderful herb with many wonderful benefits including helping the immune system.
Thanks
Spiritlite.

You will feel its effects long term and notice little immediately. Like Ginseng it is an "adaptogen", it helps the body adjust to the stress of daily life. It should be taken two months on and two weeks off. The body can produce all it needs and this herb will help to program the cellular memory.

For quicker effects with anxiety, add:
Valerian Root
Lemon Balm
These two work fast on the nerves and lower the blood pressure.

To aid in the depressed mood which comes with anxiety:
Rhodiola Root Extract
St. John's Wort(wort means herb)
Omega 3's (DHA and EPA)Daily exercise and walks in nature.
A diet rich in colorful plants, vegetables and fruits.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Master
Thankyou Racer-X
SPiritlite.