Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 14-12-2018, 02:44 AM
Guide

Being Away From Your Pets

I have two cats: a four year old and a three year old. Two bonded males.

I have left my cats quite a few times. The first time, I went to the UK for two weeks and my neighbor watched them for me. We have a weird apartment where I have a fire escape exit that opens into another apartment. So when I went on vacation, I left my fire escape exit open and my cats were able to stay in the comfort of our home while also being able to visit my neighbor upstairs if they felt lonely (this is an indoor exit and my cats are indoor pets).

The second time I left my cats was for two weeks. I went to Germany for a mandatory research trip and had the same set-up with my neighbor. According to my neighbor, one of my cats was very social and came to see him frequently for cuddles and pets. My other cat, according to him, rarely came up and was much more shy.

I have also traveled for shorter trips and have hired professional pet sitters. These instances worked out well.

However, in 2019, I have to leave my country for approximately four months. This is a very long time for me and I am super nervous. I am really looking forward to the opportunity to travel and spend four months in Germany, but my main concern regards my cats. My neighbor also moved last month.

Due to the lengthy period that I have to be away, I have made plans for a fellow cat lover who is a grad student (and who would benefit from four months free rent) to live in my apartment in order to watch over my boys while I am away.

Even though it seems like I have this issue sorted out, as the time comes closer for me to book my plane tickets and start planning, I feel like I'm a mess. I'm really paranoid about leaving my cats and feel super stressed.

Does anyone have experience with leaving pets for a long period of time? I once left my family pet when I was 13 years old for two months, and he remembered me when I came back. I also had a horse, which I gave to my cousin, but it always remembers me when I go visit (I know this because my horse hates women - but still likes me when I visit).

This situation is just hard on my heart. Despite it being a great life opportunity. My pets are my family and I want the best for them. I feel like I have set up the best possible scenario, but I still worry. My pets are my babies.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Ascender
I have no personal experience of leaving a companion animal, as I have never left one alone, even for one night. In the past, when we used to travel between France and the UK, our dog always came with us (via Eurotunnel, which allows companion animals to remain in the car with their humans). Even when we went to a restaurant, our dog usually came with us. We tended to go only to restaurants which allowed dogs to enter.

However, your circumstances are special and I understand that you need to pursue your career and the chance to spend a long time in Germany is a good opportunity for you. In my opinion, you have made very good arrangements: for a cat lover to stay full time in your flat whilst you are away. You couldn't really have thought of any better plan that that. The cats will have food and water, and most important - lots of love and attention from the cat-loving person staying in your flat.

I don't think that you have any reason to feel uneasy. The cats will certainly remember you when you return.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:44 AM
Newbie ;)

I have 5 dogs and I find it hard to leave them even for a day. :)
Old 07-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Newbie ;)

I use to hate leaving my puppy when I went to school and I know she use to miss me she got to the point to where she wouldn't eat if my mom would feed her if I wasn't home she would wait til I got home and eat it hard leaving your fur babies
Old 28-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Master
it killss me it duz coz i luv thm so mush i do

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 02-03-2020, 02:45 PM
Newbie ;)

Hey I just wanted to say have you guys thought about getting a pet cam? I use an internal security camera made by Tp link and it's brilliant, I talk to my cat and reassure him when I'm out, and can see him which stops me worrying, too.
Old 27-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul123
I have 5 dogs and I find it hard to leave them even for a day. :)
I know how you feel, Paul.