Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Reiki

Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Experiencer
Reiki and Therapeutic Touch?

I have my level 1 Reiki certification, and I was wondering what the difference is between Reiki and Therapeutic Touch?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
iolite

Theraputic touch doesn't involve attunements and I think there are some folks who do TT and aren't even doing energy work. A few years ago, there was this elementary school kid who did her science project with the hypothesis that TT was totally fake. She rounded up some TT folks and had them do it on volunteers and the volunteers reported not feeling anything. I think Randy aka Amazing Randy, might have something on her findings on his website.

I've never taken a TT class, but I know 2 women who have and they are both energy workers and use TT. One uses TT in addition to other modalities like Quantum Touch and sound therapy. The other woman uses just TT and she can actually move energy and tell where there are blockages in the energy flow.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
EmergingPath

iolite,
ALL energy healing is dependent upon the recepiant and NOT on the transmitter/conduit of the energy.

All energy work is as real or as fake as you wish, one is NOT good and the other is bad. If you belive in energy work then any process can be as valid as any other. If you dont belive in energy work the no process is valid.

TrainsAndSewingMachines,
As iolite stated, TT does not require attunments. TT is also very specific hand positions for specific maladies, where Reiki can use hand positions or not and just set your intent and you are off. TT is VERY specific and limiting (IMO) which you can find similar in Reiki using the Hyashi healing guide. Basically, TT was developed by an RN and is very clinical where Reiki was developed by a Usui and is very spiritual...

Just my opinions

Last edited by EmergingPath : 06-10-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Leah85

Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergingPath
iolite,
ALL energy healing is dependent upon the recepiant and NOT on the transmitter/conduit of the energy.

All energy work is as real or as fake as you wish, one is NOT good and the other is bad. If you belive in energy work then any process can be as valid as any other. If you dont belive in energy work the no process is valid.

Reiki works whether you believe it or not. What may happen is that the person doesn't want to be cured at a subconscious level, and then even if one believes, but doesn't truly wish the cure, blockages will occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergingPath
TT is also very specific hand positions for specific maladies, where Reiki can use hand positions or not and just set your intent and you are off. TT is VERY specific and limiting (IMO) which you can find similar in Reiki using the Hyashi healing guide.

If you are working on a very specific condition, I believe that Reiki should be applied respecting specific hand positions in order to achieve better results. Of course that the intent has valuable effects on healing, but the energie being more specifically directed also reforces your specific intent.

Sometimes this might be confusing, since a "smart energy" as Reiki is should drive itself exactly to the point and in the extent that is being needed. Maybe for an outcome at a more physical level the results are obtained more quickly and in a more stable way if the recommended positions for each specific case are followed. I like to practise them if I am attempting to work on such issues.

Maybe you could comment on this from your own experience? I would really appreciate it! Namaste

Last edited by Leah85 : 07-10-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah85

If you are working on a very specific condition, I believe that Reiki should be applied respecting specific hand positions in order to achieve better results. Of course that the intent has valuable effects on healing, but the energie being more specifically directed also reforces your specific intent.

Sometimes this might be confusing, since a "smart energy" as Reiki is should drive itself exactly to the point and in the extent that is being needed. Maybe for an outcome at a more physical level the results are obtained more quickly and in a more stable way if the recommended positions for each specific case are followed. I like to practise them if I am attempting to work on such issues.

Maybe you could comment on this from your own experience? I would really appreciate it! Namaste

That's the beauty of Reiki in that you don't need to use specific hand positions, or place them in different places on the body. The energy will go and travel to where it's needed regardless of where you place your hands. If it did not that would be a limit of the healing modality. Something they should consider before learning the healing modality if that is the case.

Many people use the different hand positions so they can direct their intention to have something they feel they are working on specifically. If one comes to another with a sore leg the healer may focus on the leg so they can use it to focus. When in reality they could just put their hands on top of the crown and still achieve the same focus if someone put both hands on the persons leg.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Leah85

Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
Many people use the different hand positions so they can direct their intention to have something they feel they are working on specifically. If one comes to another with a sore leg the healer may focus on the leg so they can use it to focus. When in reality they could just put their hands on top of the crown and still achieve the same focus if someone put both hands on the persons leg.

I share your point of view, based on the Reiki energy principle: it goes wherever it is needed, in the extent it is needed. However, I believe the basic positions (which vary in number, normally from 10 to 14) that are teached on the Level I have a purpose. It makes the one who is channeling the energy more sensitive to the quality of the energy aroused or blocked by specific chakras, and offering the practitioner valuable information on the individual receiving the energy. This might be important, since the receiver might be blocking or avoiding cure at a subconscious level.

Some specific positions (those which are added, in determined conditions, to the basic ones) have a lot in common with acunpuncture points, so they might have an important role to play. I'm using some in cases of Chron's disease, diabetes, ostheoporosis and hernia. In cases of depression and alimentary disturbances, of course that the simple evocation of "Sei-He-Ki" has a major role, since these conditions are deeply associated with emotional disturbances. Anyway, I believe we should use every resources we can and feel comfortable with to help ourselves and others, and as I learned on other experienced Masters that specific positions may lead to faster global and specific recovery (they depend one on another, as easy to understand), I won't reject them at all, but only in addition to the "global, basical" treatment.

If anyone has experiences to share on this subject, I would like to hear from you

Namaste!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:43 PM
EmergingPath

In many (most) cases I will use my intuition rather than any prescribed hand position, but that is what works best (IMO) for me. Others should do/use what works best for them.

The invocation of the power and emotional symbols is never a bad thing and can never be "over done".

If you are a Reiki purist then max use of the prescribed hand positions and symbols is the way to go!

Some folks who have moved into a broader prespective will tell you that the symbols are great to help you get your focus but after you have been doing it for awhile you no longer need ot use them if you can keep your intention focused.

For me, it is universal eneregy and there is no way to "do it wrong" and if you have a method or ritual or position that you feel works best FOR YOU then those are the ones that YOU should use.

But they may not be the best for the next person...

Just my opinion
Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Experiencer
I tend to use the hand positions as a rough guide but then let my hands go where my intuition takes me.
I've only have the level one attunements but I have to say each one of them was a truely wonderful experience.

Someone I know went on a retreat with some family members to learn "enery work" (he said he was not sure of the actual name or whether or not they were even told). In this work he said they used their hands much like the positive and negitive ends of magnets to balance the energy in blocked areas.
Could this perhaps be therapeutic touch?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 AM
EmergingPath

I dont think so Trains

TT is VERY proscribed, what you are describing sounds a bit different.