Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 03-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Master
does maya obey any laws?

There is this saying which springs to mind - heaven first, earth will follow.

So perhaps it is also - heaven first, maya will follow.

Meaning that maya obeys the laws of the spiritual world.

Once the spiritual world is sorted out then maya shall obey.

Is this how you see it?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
There is this saying which springs to mind - heaven first, earth will follow.

So perhaps it is also - heaven first, maya will follow.

Meaning that maya obeys the laws of the spiritual world.

Once the spiritual world is sorted out then maya shall obey.

Is this how you see it?

Maya's duty is to keep you unconscious and unaware, and immersed in habitual reactivity, emotivity and negativity. It's objective is to keep sentient beings under the domination of matter and be unconscious and suffer.

However if one overcomes the gravity pull of unconsciousness to rise to higher levels of consciousness, to that extent Maya or nature becomes servile to oneself.

The Yoga Sutras state that for the enlightened being, Maya as in nature becomes a slave of the enlightened one. Some enlightened masters state euphemistically that nature becomes a loyal friend instead.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 03-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
Maya's duty is to keep you unconscious and unaware...unconscious and suffer....
Perfect! LOL

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
Maya's duty is to keep you unconscious and unaware, and immersed in habitual reactivity, emotivity and negativity. It's objective is to keep sentient beings under the domination of matter and be unconscious and suffer.
Yea what Miss H. said. Great way to describe, very succinct.

Very often it seems that parents are in a role to bear this responsibility. I wonder if there is a connection?

The primary law of Maya to me is that it is always precisely and perfectly suited to the occasion. A flip-side that awaits resolution in awareness.

Thanks for the question Honza. Someone needs to ask if we are ever to consider.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Master
I thought that maya was a neutral power??

Is it in fact malevolent?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Master
Law of Karma

One very important law everything follows in maya is the law of karma which means "action and consequence". We act, Universe responds - like an echo. I study jyotish where this is seen very clearly.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:34 AM
Master
Namaste.

I was about to say The Law of Karma.....Uma beat me to it.

Maya is a law unto itself and it obeys its own laws...even the law of not obeying any laws....this is what makes it Maya, as it is subject to subjectiveness.

It is actualized in juxtaposition to Brahman, to that which is beyond any laws of cause and effect...in fact, all that can really be said about Brahman, relates to the whole permanence of it. The law relating to that which is NOT Maya, is that it always IS and always remains as such - therefore, laws or rules are unnecessary and superfluous.

As soon as we apply laws to the Absolute, this makes it Maya.

Is Maya malevolent? Yes and no. She can be Kali...she can be Uma/Parvati.
It depends on perception...is Maya blocking the way to Enlightenment or making it easier to realise that the cake is a lie? It all depends on the way she is looked at.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

I was about to say The Law of Karma.....Uma beat me to it.

Maya is a law unto itself and it obeys its own laws...even the law of not obeying any laws....this is what makes it Maya, as it is subject to subjectiveness.

It is actualized in juxtaposition to Brahman, to that which is beyond any laws of cause and effect...in fact, all that can really be said about Brahman, relates to the whole permanence of it. The law relating to that which is NOT Maya, is that it always IS and always remains as such - therefore, laws or rules are unnecessary and superfluous.

As soon as we apply laws to the Absolute, this makes it Maya.

Is Maya malevolent? Yes and no. She can be Kali...she can be Uma/Parvati.
It depends on perception...is Maya blocking the way to Enlightenment or making it easier to realise that the cake is a lie? It all depends on the way she is looked at.

Aum Namah Shivaya
I found this very helpful thanks. Also when the second question arose whether Maya is malevolent, I was out of my depth to properly speculate and so a proper Hindu perspective would be needed and appreciated.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Laws in this Illusion or Maya are all around us...Newton, Copernicus esp, Kepler....
found so many laws..using math often.

Now, does spirit trump these laws...
well, surely that was one of the points Jesus was making.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 05-08-2019, 01:37 AM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter light
I found this very helpful thanks. Also when the second question arose whether Maya is malevolent, I was out of my depth to properly speculate and so a proper Hindu perspective would be needed and appreciated.
You are very welcome and I am glad the Hindu perspective has been appreciated.

I have all of the Dailypedia Apps on my mobile, and I woke up this morning to a quote by Ramana Maharishi:

"If you are firm in your belief in the guidance of God, stick to it and do not concern yourself with what happens around you"- Ramana Maharishi

While Mooji said:

"If we pay too much attention to things, we will keep on seeing things. If you pay more attention to the space in which things come and go, then you will stop seeing things and you will feel just harmony within the space itself"- Mooji.

Yes, Miss H, there are many laws...the Law of Gravity, Thermodynamics, Attraction, Karma etc and for the most part, Material Nature (Prakriti) abides by them...but I have also experienced situations where She does not and doesn't play fair and cheats just because she CAN....this is almost always used as a lesson to teach me that She is not predictable and I don't get to control anything in my life when Her 'better half" (Purusha) has other ideas and plans for me.

Aum Namah Shivaya