Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 19-05-2021, 05:48 AM
zinnat

Let us continue with the thread.

In this post i want to discuss a somewhat different issue. I am sure many members here would be aware of it. It is Anahat Naad.

It is a faint sound which many practitioners experience during meditation. It seems like coming from the right ear but it does not. Ears do not hear it. it only resonates in the mind and mostly in the right half of the mind.

As long time has been passed so i do not remember correctly now but i experienced this sometime around when i get my first vision in closed eyes. Perhaps it started sometime before the vision. I did not know what it was but came to know about it some years later when i got access to the internet.

The term anahat naad means unstruck sound in hindi and sanskrit. As we know that science says that a sound can be produced only when two objects would collide with each other but this sound is produced without any collusion. Not only that, it is everywhere and eternal.

Not only in Hinduism but this concept of anahat naad is found in Sikhism an Islam too. Sikhism calls it Ek Onkar while Sufism calls it as Nida-a-Asmani( sound of heaven) or Kalam-i-qadim (the ancient sound). I have once read about in some Christian website too but i do not remember it now.
In Islam it is Sunnat( such practices of prophet Muhammad which should be followed by all Muslims) to sleep always on the right side. Sleeping in this way this sound can be heard more clearly. This is actually true.

This sound never becomes loud but remains a faint one always. It sounds like humming or buzzing what one hear standing below HT electric lines. In chakra ontology, this sound is associated with heart chakra. That is why some schools calls it Anahat chakra too. Heart Chakra is placed just above the three lower physical chakras and the gateway for upper spiritual chakras which means that meaningful journey through chakras starts from the heart chakra instead of muladhar. Entering this Chakra opens the door for spiritual experiences.

The beauty about this anahat naad is that it never stops and never leaves either, whether one continues meditating further or not. Thus, besides breath
and the repetition of the mantras, it provides the third alternative for concentration. One can easily focus on this but that needs a quiet ambience because this sound can be lost easily in the noise. Some scholars considers this sound as the God or the ultimate aim for meditation. But, it is difficult for me to consider it as a truth. However, if one hear it, then it is certain that he/she is on the right path and making progress too.

Contrary to what is generally understood that there is vacuum between planets and stars, these is absolutely no vacuum in the universe. Every point in the space is filled by CMBR( cosmic microwave background radiation).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic...ave_background

And, we also know that according to Quantum physics, everything is made of waves so maybe our cosmos is entirely made of this Anahad naad. I do not know.

with love,
sanjay
Old 19-05-2021, 08:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinnat
Let us continue with the thread.

In this post i want to discuss a somewhat different issue. I am sure many members here would be aware of it. It is Anahat Naad.

It is a faint sound
whether one continues
The beauty about this anahat naad is that it never stops and never leaves either, Thus, it provides the third alternative for concentration.
I think this (refer to full post) is where the imagination departs from the actuality, because there is a sound there, but then then a very fascinating mystical story is fabricated about it. I assumed the sound is produced within the ear by minute movements within the internal hearing organs and/or nerves, as opposed to sounds caused by vibrating air on the ear drum. This seems more plausible as a simple physical explanation than a tall story of spiritual diatribe. The sound is a great meditation because you can listen to it 'as it is' without getting swept up in imaginative grandure. Alas, we do tend to favour such grandiose allusions.
Old 19-05-2021, 12:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand
Love the word return Still Waters,
Did we ever leave?

The 23rd Psalm uses the word "restoreth" as in "Thou restoreth my soul". The word "return" is somewhat similar in that context.

You ask: "Did we ever leave?" How would you answer that? For most, the attention clearly shifts...until we "return".

In my teacher's prayer for peace, there are the words: "May we never leave God; may God never leave us".

So much for "leaving".
Old 19-05-2021, 12:40 PM
Master
QUOTE 330 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Those who want to read about yoga and meditation, there is one very useful book on such issues- Yog Vashistha. It is written by sage Vashistha, who was the guru of lord Rama. The whole book is in the form of narration which is happening between a guru and his pupil.

The Yog Vashistha has been one of my favorite books and, only recently, I recommended it to a friend.

The story about Queen Lila and her king-husband is one of my personal favorites as it addresses the nature of physical death in a very interesting manner.

I second your very wise recommendation!
Old 19-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Master

Quote:

It is a faint sound which many practitioners experience during meditation. It seems like coming from the right ear but it does not. Ears do not hear it. it only resonates in the mind and mostly in the right half of the mind.

The term anahat naad means unstruck sound in hindi and sanskrit. As we know that science says that a sound can be produced only when two objects would collide with each other but this sound is produced without any collusion. Not only that, it is everywhere and eternal.

Not only in Hinduism but this concept of anahat naad is found in Sikhism an Islam too. Sikhism calls it Ek Onkar while Sufism calls it as Nida-a-Asmani( sound of heaven) or Kalam-i-qadim (the ancient sound). ...

This sound never becomes loud but remains a faint one always. It sounds like humming or buzzing what one hear standing below HT electric lines.

The beauty about this anahat naad is that it never stops and never leaves either, whether one continues meditating further or not. Thus, besides breath
and the repetition of the mantras, it provides the third alternative for concentration. One can easily focus on this but that needs a quiet ambience because this sound can be lost easily in the noise. Some scholars considers this sound as the God or the ultimate aim for meditation. But, it is difficult for me to consider it as a truth. However, if one hear it, then it is certain that he/she is on the right path and making progress too.

A couple of points.

Firstly the Inner Sound current or Nada or Shabd is not heard in the mind - its origin is beyond thought.

Secondly, there are many sounds which can be heard within, besides humming or buzzing. For example, it may be heard as continual rolling thunder. The inner Sound can become extremely loud, and can be seen as brilliant white Light and felt as a vibration that originates at the crown chakra but may fill the entire body.

Guru Nanak refers to the inner Sound as the Nam or the true Name of God.

But as you say, it never stops and so provides an unchanging focus for meditation.

Peace
Old 19-05-2021, 11:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
A couple of points.

Firstly the Inner Sound current or Nada or Shabd is not heard in the mind - its origin is beyond thought.

Secondly, there are many sounds which can be heard within, besides humming or buzzing. For example, it may be heard as continual rolling thunder. The inner Sound can become extremely loud, and can be seen as brilliant white Light and felt as a vibration that originates at the crown chakra but may fill the entire body.

But as you say, it never stops and so provides an unchanging focus for meditation.

Peace
Sure. You just listen to the sound that is there as it sounds to you. It is constant, but it is changing. The rest is a story apart from actuality.
Old 20-05-2021, 01:18 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Sure. You just listen to the sound that is there as it sounds to you. It is constant, but it is changing. The rest is a story apart from actuality.

Actually it is constant and unchanging.

To say that the inner Sound "is produced within the ear by minute movements within the internal hearing organs and/or nerves" is frankly laughable to those who practice Nada Yoga and are able to hear these inner Sounds. Perhaps you have not experienced the depths of Nada Yoga.

Peace
Old 20-05-2021, 03:19 AM
zinnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think this (refer to full post) is where the imagination departs from the actuality, because there is a sound there, but then then a very fascinating mystical story is fabricated about it. I assumed the sound is produced within the ear by minute movements within the internal hearing organs and/or nerves, as opposed to sounds caused by vibrating air on the ear drum. This seems more plausible as a simple physical explanation than a tall story of spiritual diatribe. The sound is a great meditation because you can listen to it 'as it is' without getting swept up in imaginative grandure. Alas, we do tend to favour such grandiose allusions.

No Gem,
it is not an imagination. That really happens and it has nothing to do with any minute movements inside earing mechanism. it resonates in the mind only, not
in ears.
As a thumb rule, I do not say anything such which i have not experienced in person. Yes, i sometime take outside help in doing explanation but only when i am absolutely sure of that.

with love,
sanjay
Old 20-05-2021, 03:28 AM
zinnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
A couple of points.

zinnat- well, i am not sure about its origin. Some scholars claim that it comes directly from the last stage of spirituality. I am not competent enough either to confirm or deny it.

zinnat- Yes, you are right. the mention of many different types of the sounds is very much there. But, throughout last three decades when i started hearing anahat naad, i experienced only that humming sound. Nothing else so i did not mention about others. However other may experience different sounds.

Peace

with love,
sanjay
Old 20-05-2021, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
You just listen to the sound that is there as it
sounds to you. It is constant, but it is changing.
Ya know, it is not so much as to say 'changing'...but rather it is layered...harmonies upon harmonies. Music of the Spheres, another name.
You are able to perceive more and more of it's actual self...
so it might seem to be changing, yes.
And it is e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e!! Inside outside all around, can't escape it, Lol!

iamthat, I don't recall us talking about this before. :)
It's fun that the Old Testament refers to It, also....like ---the rushing waters, etc.
We know that Kabir speaks of the unstruck strings....yup, many references to the Nam, Naam, Celestial Harmonies, Divine Music, Primordial vibration, the Tao.
Fun when you hear Krishna's flute, crickets, thunder, babbling brooks and whole orchestras, individual instruments, repeating melodies you can then transfer to an instrument later...
Quite wonderful! And It ''takes' you.
Fun subject... yes, more to the right. Not so faint for me.
Ha, next yr would be 50 yrs since I became aware of It.
Easier for us 'Right Brainers", too.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru