Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 18-05-2021, 04:32 AM
Master
Nice illustrations.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 18-05-2021, 01:27 PM
Master
QUOTE 318 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand
... simply letting go of all the illusions we attach ourselves to.

There is a Taoist expression with a similar sentiment:

In utter emptiness and complete silence, simply watch the return (to original nature).

Old 18-05-2021, 01:31 PM
Master
QUOTE 317 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Patanjali has structured yoga practices in various yog sutras

My spiritual mentor taught Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras extensively, but noted that it was "not the only way".

Personally, I love Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras and I'm glad that you introduced it to this thread.
Old 18-05-2021, 04:03 PM
Master

Thumbs up thank google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I would like to thank you in particular for this link.

I just did not do much . Just keyin few words and Google sir is ready with answers . All u have to do is share. So I pass on your thanks to Google.
Old 18-05-2021, 04:18 PM
Master

patanjali and driving considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinnat
As far as your first question about Patanjali Yog Sutras is concerned, I cannot say what is mentioned there is wrong but it does not provide much help in any way. His explanation is a very generalized one and most of the details are missing and one needs details about the procedure. His focus is more on theory than practical part.

You could be true . His theories are very old. And theories may not guide immediately about do's and don't at a practical level . While i am not an expert on meditation , I found His sutras very scientific , methodical carrying authoritative guidance . Sutras are like arithmetic/physical / chemical axioms which try to explain a phenomenon definitivel in precise terms .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinnat
You rightly mentioned that there will be no material gains so what is else there to motivate. From my experience, i can say there can be only two such things which can motivate. One is desperation and the second is curiosity.

In my case, desperation provided me initial start but when i started having experiences, the curiosity took over.

Besides desperation, curiosity is the only one other such emotion which can manifest that much effort. But, the curiosity should be so intense that it can create desperation. So, we are back again to square one.
True. Desperation , intensity , curiosity ,inquisitiveness are definitely some drivers also in spirituality just like any other fields. Very few could do it . Glad many on this forum are doing this nowadays in increasing numbers.
Old 18-05-2021, 04:23 PM
Master

yogsutras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
My spiritual mentor taught Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras extensively, but noted that it was "not the only way".
Personally, I love Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras and I'm glad that you introduced it to this thread.
Certainly yog sutras are not the only way . There are and can be many other ways to it and people can very well have satisfactions with alternative methods.

If u have any other well structured documented ways in English (whether available online or not) , please share pointers. It can be helpful to many readers including me.
Old 18-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Legrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
There is a Taoist expression with a similar sentiment:
In utter emptiness and complete silence, simply watch the return (to original nature).
Love the word return Still Waters,
Did we ever leave?
Old 19-05-2021, 12:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Just looking at it critically, it first comes across to me as 'internet ga-ga' (to steal a phrase from Queen).
The section titled how to meditate is typical of the contradiction which is common in meditation narratives. On one hand it says the mindfulness approach is best to start, but then it says do pranayama before, and thus recommends two approaches which are not compatible.
The sitting part is all fair enough, so no particular critique there.
The object part isn't specific and does not differentiate between experiences that 'just happen' and experiences that are volitionally fabricated. Then it gives a preference like focus on God, which I think will lend itself to the imagination rather than something 'real' in current experience.
To me, it's sub-par and falls in the realm of internet click bait that uses the name of a famous teacher for 'likes', as if Patanjali endorses their products for sale.
Old 19-05-2021, 12:44 AM
zinnat

Those who want to read about yoga and meditation, there is one very useful book on such issues- Yog Vashistha. It is written by sage Vashistha, who was the guru of lord Rama. The whole book is in the form of narration which is happening between a guru and his pupil.

Those who are interested in the theoretical part of spirituality, it is perhaps the best but it does not talk about practical part at all, but only theory. Having said that, it provides a complete perspective for intellectuals on related issues.

I read it long back in Hindi but it's english translation is also available on the net which can be found easily.

With love,
Sanjay
Old 19-05-2021, 01:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay
Yog Vashistha. It is written by sage Vashistha,
Sanjay
I found it and had a precursory scan over it. It looks really good! If I discover contradictory messaging in it when I read it I'll offer up that critique, but at first glance it seems very consistent.