Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-02-2023, 05:43 PM
Knower
Piti and dhyana

I'm curious about experiencing the first dhyana. I do experience stable piti when I meditate (and I'm grateful for that). Supposedly, by making the piti the focus of attention, it should lead one into the first dhyana, but for me that didn't happen yet. If you did experience dhyana, can you share your story about how it happened? If I devote some time to it every day, should that be enough? I usually meditate for about 30 minutes, maybe that's too short?

By the way, I know some people will say "drop the desire", so I wanted to add that while I'm meditating, I'm just enjoying the meditation, I'm not desparate to get there (because the piti in itself is pleasant enough).

Last edited by In Flux : 14-02-2023 at 07:03 PM.
Old 14-02-2023, 10:46 PM
Master
Can you explain what it is you want to experience as the first dhyana?

I’m more curious how you perceive what you might or should experience?

Thank you.
Old 14-02-2023, 11:45 PM
Hi, In Flux...this is an English speaking Forum.
I moved this to Hinduism, because maybe you can get by with this here.
Even here, please define your words always.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 15-02-2023, 06:11 AM
Knower
Hi @JustBe, I don't know what it would be like, but since it's an altered state of consciousness (that has certain characteristics, such as a sense of joy) it should be clearly noticable when you get there.

By the way, I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is piti (joy) or sukha (pleasure). I would compare the pleasure that I often feel in meditation to the pleasure you get from a hot bath. Maybe it's not piti but "just" a sense of relaxation? It's a relatively strong feeling though (just like a hot bath can be a relatively intense experience).

In any case, I'm not worried about having a particular experience (since I enjoy the mediation as it is), but that said, I am curious about the first dhyana, and would be interested to hear from other people about how they got there (also if that doesn't translate to a particular hint or instruction).
Old 15-02-2023, 06:13 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Hi, In Flux...this is an English speaking Forum.
I moved this to Hinduism, because maybe you can get by with this here.
Even here, please define your words always.

Hi Miss Hepburn, okay, I will keep it in mind. Maybe I should not mention these words even, since I know very little about what they really mean (I was basically copying the words that other people were using, in the context of Buddhist meditation, but I'm fine with having the discussion moved over here).
Old 15-02-2023, 10:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Flux
Hi Miss Hepburn, okay, I will keep it in mind. Maybe I should not mention these words even, since I know very little about what they really mean (I was basically copying the words that other people were using, in the context of Buddhist meditation, but I'm fine with having the discussion moved over here).

This may help, but it is Buddhism not Hinduism and I'm not sure if it's part of their teachings....
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/.../wheel351.html
Old 15-02-2023, 03:56 PM
Knower
Thanks Sky, this looks great, I already got an important clue from the first paragraph of Chapter 2, i.e. to be more mindful of not engaging with thoughts that lead in the wrong direction (I do observe my thoughts, and sometimes a thought comes along that I know I should not indulge in, but then sometimes I do it anyway, just because it can be entertaining to do so).
Old 15-02-2023, 04:01 PM
Quote:
... Maybe I should not mention these words even, since I know very little about what they really mean (I was basically copying the words that other people were using, in the context of Buddhist meditation, but I'm fine with having the discussion moved over here).
Lol----OH! They were Buddhist words, tho, Hindi...??
Ok, Moving this to Buddhism!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 16-02-2023, 07:12 AM
Master
Quote:
(I do observe my thoughts, and sometimes a thought comes along that I know I should not indulge in, but then sometimes I do it anyway, just because it can be entertaining to do so).

We all engage in thoughts that lead us down the wrong path that's normal but not something that can't be changed. If you look at the outcome of these types of thought's (unwholesome) it's easy to see how and why we need to ignore them. Have a look at 'The Bija Sutta' you might find it beneficial.
https://accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka....104.than.html

Bija - Seed...