Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Katiecat

I seen on previous pages, people talking about Indiana. Indiana has a few Spiritualist churches in Indianapolis, and then a few more spread out. But to most places other than Indianapolis, it's hard to find one at a convenient distance. I have not been to Camp Chesterfield...its 2 hours away from me. But I hear it is amazing! The closest Spiritualist church from me is an hour away.

I had my first experience at a Spiritualist church this Saturday. I attended a workshop they offered. I was there for almost 9 hours. I had no idea what to expect before I went. It's a small building, and you can't tell much from the outside, of course. But when I went in, I felt like I was in a slice of heaven. The people were so nice, and I immediately felt connected. I learned so much! I'm hoping to go back soon!

I was raised Christian. I have been a part of many Christian denominations trying to figure out where I fit in. I like many aspects of Christianity. I certainly love Jesus, and I embrace him as my Savior. My husband and I (along with our daughter) are Lutheran. We attend a very liberal church. My husband has no interest in communicating with the other side. I will give him credit, though, he gave it a go. He used a pendulum for a while, and was better with it than I am. He seems to have spiritual gifts. He just has no interest...which is OK. He supports me in learning whatever my heart desires. I'm just thankful he does not draw a line with it and expect me to believe exactly the same as he does.

Here is my problem I now have. I want to embrace Spiritualism while still maintaining my Christian faith and relationship with Jesus. I know some of you are probably rolling your eyes, but I love both churches! My Lutheran church does not offer enough for me, spiritually speaking. I get bored. I also have gifts...that they would never recognize. I visited my friend pentecostal church recently and had an encounter with the Holy Spirit that really opened up my gifts, and led to my awakening. It's a really long story, there....that spans over many years.

Is it OK, and allowed to do my spiritual growth at once church, while worshipping in another?

Also, with my gifts, I have a hard time not feeling guilty when I read Scriptures like Deuteronomy 18:10-11... There is also a passage in Luke that I have a hard time with. I know this is not what this particular thread is for, but if those Spiritualists here, with Christian backgrounds could send me a pm regarding this, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
mac

Certain points made in this thread illustrate the chasm between the US version of Spiritualism and that found in the UK, where it's a formally structured and legally recognised religion.

There are - maybe - some similarities with the UK's Christian Spiritualist church's proceedings and followings but this is anyway a minor church in the UK.

Speaking personally I find Christianity's beliefs and dogma almost totally at odds with the simplicity of Modern Spiritualist philosophy and teachings.

Trying to embrace Christian teachings and beliefs, while at the same time as professing to have an interest in Spiritualism, is - I respectfully suggest - likely to be a hiding to nothing.

Attempts at adherence to both inevitably requires awkward compromises of each.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Katiecat

I understand what you are saying....so you understand my struggle, then?

Spiritualism IS a recognized religion here. It's just not as mainstream.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiecat
I understand what you are saying....so you understand my struggle, then?

Spiritualism IS a recognized religion here. It's just not as mainstream.

Yes and no... I understand why you are struggling to reconcile the two but I don't understand why you are continuing with that struggle.

I think you'll find that in the USA Spiritualism is not formally constituted and recognised as it has been in the UK for the past five decades - unless I've got it completely wrong? And Modern Spiritualism can not for one moment be classed as mainstream on either side of the pond.

No matter and not important for this discussion - my point was simply to show the difference between the ways it's seen on either side of the Atlantic.

The aspect of trying to reconcile Christian beliefs with Spiritualism is altogether an even harder task...although some live with both persuasions.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Katiecat

I noticed in the spiritualist church I attended that there were several pictures on the wall of Jesus Christ, as well as the Lord's Prayer.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 AM
mac

Quote:
I noticed in the spiritualist church I attended that there were several pictures on the wall of Jesus Christ, as well as the Lord's Prayer.

Something you'd be unlikely to find in a traditional UK Spiritualist church but probably in a Christian Spiritualist one.

That can vary, however, because organising bodies vary and individuals may influence the overall tone of a place.

Look behind the facade, though, and neither Jesus (healer, teacher) nor God (as supreme creator) is viewed as in mainstream religions.

Some may find that unsettling because of the effects of schooling and conditioning from childhood etc. Others are liberated from those shackles and move forward.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Katiecat

Yes, I know they don't view Jesus as a Messiah. And I can totally understand your last statement about how some can find it unsettling, while others find it liberating. As for myself, what I find liberating is that they don't place certain spiritual gifts as taboo. Where in a Christian church, it's treated as an abomination. As long as I don't have to reject Jesus as my Savior, I would have no problem going to a Spiritualist church. -And from what I have come to understand, I don't. They respect individuality, and people's personal paths. I plan on going there some for their classes. I will not separate from the church that my husband and I go to together, because I know he does not want to change at this time...and I don't want us to be divided.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:37 PM
mac

Quote:
Yes, I know they don't view Jesus as a Messiah. And I can totally understand your last statement about how some can find it unsettling, while others find it liberating. As for myself, what I find liberating is that they don't place certain spiritual gifts as taboo. Where in a Christian church, it's treated as an abomination. As long as I don't have to reject Jesus as my Savior, I would have no problem going to a Spiritualist church. -And from what I have come to understand, I don't. They respect individuality, and people's personal paths. I plan on going there some for their classes. I will not separate from the church that my husband and I go to together, because I know he does not want to change at this time...and I don't want us to be divided.

You're bang on right on these important issues. You are welcome to hold whatever mainstream beliefs you choose and still be welcomed into a Modern Spiritualist church or center.

Mediumship - abhorred by the Christian church despite Jesus being a highly accomplished physical medium (and teacher and healer!) - is the staple of Spiritualism's message of survival and the demonstration of it through evidential mediumship.

I wish you all good fortune in finding a broadening of your understanding inside the Spiritualist center you visit.

I hope you will stay on these forum pages to tell us how things are going for you.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Katiecat

That is what I don't get about Christian churches....they say that we must strive to be like Christ, but forbid us to do the things he did! I don't get it.

I also don't understand why in the OT, scriptures like Deuteronomy 18 forbid visits to mediums and psychics and deem it an abomination...when Christ himself did these things...Isn't that exactly what the Three Wise Men were? These are contradictions that severely bother me. And when I ask a devout Christian these things, they are normally speechless and need to pick their chins up off the floor. Some tell me that I should not ponder such things, and that it's the devil tempting me. But I disagree. I think that all Christians should be asking these questions.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Katiecat

Oh, btw, thanks for the welcome. I think I will stick around. :-)