Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 17-11-2010, 05:53 PM
debbie.b

judgemental

is it possible for someone to be totally unjudgemental? i don't think it is. i go on all the time about people who judge others & i have been judged because of my appearance for years now (which really doesn't bother me a great deal) but in saying that, i have found myself on numerous occassions doing the exact same thing for one reason or another. i've judged a person on 1st impressions before & totally got them wrong. do you think judging is a learnt trait or is it a part of our natural human traits?
Old 17-11-2010, 07:13 PM
eraser

It's natural, upon meeting someone, to form some impressions right away. The fact that you've found those impression to be untrue should be a lesson to wait - to take your time. Get to know the person better before firming up your opinions.
Old 17-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Shim

"Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment"-- John 7:24. Jesus condemned an attitude of thinking that we are superior therefore we should examine the spirit in which we make judgments. If there is a problem we are to first examine ourselves then we can help our brother or sister. "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."-- Matthew 7:5. Furthermore, we can't shrink from making moral judgments, so we should avoid, "Who am I to say so and so is wrong" unless we declare it wrong to say another is wrong.
Old 21-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Greenslade

I don't believe it is possible for someone to be totally judgemental. Perhaps it's a vestige from the times we were swinging through the trees and judgement might make the difference between getting eaten or not. But like everything else in our humanness, it's not what you've got but what you do with it that counts. First instinct is to judge, but can you get past that judgement and look behind the mask? But then, it works in many directions.
Old 21-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie.b
is it possible for someone to be totally unjudgemental? i don't think it is. i go on all the time about people who judge others & i have been judged because of my appearance for years now (which really doesn't bother me a great deal) but in saying that, i have found myself on numerous occassions doing the exact same thing for one reason or another. i've judged a person on 1st impressions before & totally got them wrong. do you think judging is a learnt trait or is it a part of our natural human traits?

If you were blind, would you still be so quick to judge? We work with our senses and sight is a biggie....first impressions....
I feel its a learned behaviour and can be eliminated by working on it.
Old 21-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Animus27

It's impossible for someone to be totally nonjudgmental. If we didn't judge, we would not survive in the world.

The aspiration of the enlightened mind is to be able to realize that judgements are not absolutes, and learn to rise above them when the situation calls for it.
Old 21-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Well in my proffesion we have to be non judgemental, it wouldnt be any good speaking to someone with a pre concieved idea, because you could be so wrong,
but being judgemental is part of our makeup, what about about intuition intuition is there in everybody , it shows you the way to go right from wrong, feelings of ill being from others, etc,
so i dont think we can be purely non judgemental, as has already been said before
from apes swinging round on trees they used to find their match by build stamina etc, its called the survival of the fitest,
but following your own judgement or intuition it can be good also.

Namaste
Old 21-11-2010, 01:49 PM
celery

I agree with NightSpirit on that sight is a biggie. But still, blind people are not free of being judgemental. For instance, they could be so from people's tone of voice, or how they smell.

I don't know if by working on yourself you can possibly be (ever) totally free of judgement, but IMHO it is possible to be less judgemental if you work hard on yourself (I'm saying this because I am on that path )
Old 21-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by celery
I agree with NightSpirit on that sight is a biggie. But still, blind people are not free of being judgemental. For instance, they could be so from people's tone of voice, or how they smell.

I don't know if by working on yourself you can possibly be (ever) totally free of judgement, but IMHO it is possible to be less judgemental if you work hard on yourself (I'm saying this because I am on that path )

Yeh celery...and there's another thing....discernment....this is often confused with judgement.