Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM
kadmilos

The belief that faith makes you a better person, because of reasons that prevent that belief, means this position is untenable.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Kapitan_Prien

I was thinking the same thing as Chrysaetos...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 PM
LightFilledHeart

Theistic humanitarianism cares about the wellbeing of all human beings, not just the rights of select groups.

I don't mean to sound combative here, but aren't you forgetting about the many cruelties and injustices done in the name of God and religion?? The Crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem witch burnings to name but three?? I would hardly call that humanitarianism..!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Pathfinder
I don't really believe in "God"... I believe that what is nature is God, though I don't think I'd call it that. Anyway, I've been doing a lot of thinking and studying since leaving my religion, and I've become a lot more open to love, acceptance, and learning, as well as having personal growth. I feel so happy all the time...

Of course, that is only my personal experience, so I can't speak for anyone else. For others, a religion or another sort of spirituality may be the key! I have some spiritual beliefs, yes, but I still identify as atheist because I don't believe in any deities.

I believe in "to each his own" ... and I know many aggressive atheists would like to prove everyone else wrong, but I know many aggressive religious folks would like to do so, too... Not everyone, of course; some people couldn't care less. Who's right? I have no idea, and won't act like I do. I just figure, "That person believes in 'x' as much as I believe in 'y'." Doesn't mean I agree with the other person, but it usually keeps the peace..
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Rumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahaiRaelian
I like to spend time on Yahoo groups and sometimes in chat, or read books and such on the subject of different religions. I personally have no problem with a purely materialistic and non-theistic world-view, and I certainly understand concern over radical and politically oriented religious denominations. What I do not understand is the pure disrespect, discounting and vitriol that comes from many secularist/atheists; who claim to favor 'tolerance' yet ridicule and demean anyone who does not accept their own views. They accuse every Christian of having beliefs and doctrines which only a tiny fraction of American Protestants ever defended, equate all of Islam with a hand full of terrorists (as though there were not secular terrorists and murderers?) and will make assumptions about your motives, intelligence and knowledge if you question such 'debate' methods. It is like they just want to score 'points' and feel superior to others.

This is of course no true of all secularists, but it is true of a surprisingly large percentage I have encountered or read. I have never met so many hateful and intolerant people among any religion as among atheistic humanists. They do not simply disbelieve, or argue against poor reasoning, or even dislike the doctrines and books of faiths - it is like they personally hate anyone who dares to believe in spiritual or religious pursuits, no matter how meek and benevolent they may be.
Nobody ever sees themselves as bad, they never see themselves as wrong, they only point fingers and never see themselves doing so. They yell at others for not being acceptable but then when other people try to explain anything to them, they immediately take to the defenses.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightFilledHeart
I don't mean to sound combative here, but aren't you forgetting about the many cruelties and injustices done in the name of God and religion?? The Crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem witch burnings to name but three?? I would hardly call that humanitarianism..!

That's like killing people and then using the Twinkie defense. People will use what they can as an excuse to do what they want. It doesn't mean that they actually believe in God or have faith just because they use his name.

Obviously improvements could stand to be made to the religions of the world. Actually I think that it's healthy to question religious authority. There is nothing wrong with having questions about God and whether he is real. But outright atheism is bad because it's false and it undermines what little faith that people might otherwise have. Not that you haven't made some valid points here but you even admit that atheism doesn't claim to have the truth.

Secular humanism is a start because it is a step away from religious oppression and a step towards fairness based on our most agreed upon principals about respect for human life. But it should not take a step away from spirituality, faith and God since that is the only thing that can guide us toward real bridging of human differences in relationships and happiness. You might not believe in God but he is real and his love has an amazing power to change people for the better.

Again I hope I have not offended. I don't consider anyone to be evil for having questions about God and if he is real or not. As I said I think that that's healthy. But any outspoken ideology that says that God does not exist and that there is no spirit world is wrong in my opinion because it is a denial of truth and it undermines hope and faith in others.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Pathfinder
But it seems to me now that you are claiming to have the truth :S

Most of the atheists and nonreligious folks I know are great people. People can be genuinely happy and loving without belief in God or anything spiritual. It just seems to me you have a negative view in your mind of that group..
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 PM
AnnoyingPony

Secularism isn't hateful. As an atheist, I find a lot of the opinions in this post are borne of ignorance. All I ask of the government is that it should neither favor nor discriminate against any religion. A secular government remains neutral. I'm fine with anyone who's a Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, Wiccan, etc. I just don't think that one or more religion should take precedence in how our government creates and/or enforces laws.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Master
Yes I agree with AnnoyingPony, religion should keeps it nose right out of politics, it has already caused enough problems in the world.

Last edited by psychoslice : 09-11-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt
But it seems to me now that you are claiming to have the truth :S

Most of the atheists and nonreligious folks I know are great people. People can be genuinely happy and loving without belief in God or anything spiritual. It just seems to me you have a negative view in your mind of that group..

You're right.