Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 01-01-2020, 02:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
If you do make it I'd be interested in hearing your findings/reactions if you'd care to share your experience.

I agree wholeheartedly with your final point. Time and time again I've tried to convey the point to seekers that simply because a communicator is in spirit form - a discarnate - it does not automatically make them omniscient.

What a spirit says about what she/he is experiencing (or has experienced) 'over there' is irrefutable but her/his view or opinion about material matters in this world and/or about philosophical issues generally, should not be relied on unless a track record of dependability has been established - and even then caution is desirable. I make that point particularly in connection with individuals who say they 'channel' discarnates, andheed their ideas, which they then use as guidance. I'm not saying they shouldn't, only that they should remain cautious what they use for personal guidance.

It might be argued that those discarnates who are most readily contactable are those who remain 'close' to the vibration of this physical dimension. If that's so it may suggest their personal spiritual progression has some way to go. It may indeed be little or no further along than our own hence it may be unwise to heed their supposed guidance.

Once again, I agree with you completely that disincarnate souls are not necessarily "omniscient" and that one "should remain cautious what they use for personal guidance". As you also indicated, the spirits who communicate are often earth-bound and still have some way to go spiritually.

By the way, the Spiritist event last night was cancelled due to the intense security and police cordons around Times Square. The meeting was 2 blocks from Times Square. The police let me through to go to the building where the meetings are held, but the doorman told me that it had been cancelled.

I have been to three meetings there thus far. The people are nice. The teachings are Christian-oriented and somewhat conventional. The Spirits' book generally confirms what I already knew but include some areas that don't really resonate. As you indicated, proceed with caution.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Master
Quote:
I applaud and endorse your approach to serving the spirit. It seems to me that those who can, should and those who can't should try to minimise what they have to charge seekers of their services. You've done very well in achieving your goals.

I share similar misgivings about certain mediums and their charges for services. While needing to raise an income if one's life has been devoted to service of the spirit practitioners should search their consciences over what are fair and reasonable charges. Those whose lives involve considerable travel and living out of suitcases have to be able to cover those high costs. Others working from home with few additional costs attributable to the service they provide are under much less pressure. Provide all of them give 'good value' then I'm comfortable leaving them to decide what their charges need to be.

What I am very uncomfortable about, however, are certain high-profile practitioners who have been outed as bogus, as frauds, as cheats, yet continue to maintain a jet-set life performing their acts internationally and continuing to present themselves as mediums.

Again, we are pretty much in complete agreement.

Having been raised in a Roman Catholic tradition with an "infallible" Pope whom I do not consider to be "infallible", I have learned to question everything and to proceed with caution and a "weigh and measure" approach.

Unfortunately, the "high-profile practitioners who have been outed as bogus, as frauds, as cheats, yet continue to maintain a jet-set life performing their act internationally" have given Spiritism and mediumship a bad name.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:35 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Again, we are pretty much in complete agreement.

Having been raised in a Roman Catholic tradition with an "infallible" Pope whom I do not consider to be "infallible", I have learned to question everything and to proceed with caution and a "weigh and measure" approach.

Unfortunately, the "high-profile practitioners who have been outed as bogus, as frauds, as cheats, yet continue to maintain a jet-set life performing their act internationally" have given Spiritism and mediumship a bad name.

I'm used to being a lone voice here and elsewhere but it is nice to 'speak' to someone whose approach and whose values mirror my own so closely.

The Roman Catholic religion raises many concerns for me as do other mainstream religions/faiths/beliefs but this forum is for conversations about Spiritualism and is not the place to be considering others religions' many issues.

As for the practitioners who make big bucks from their fraud I agree those charlatans' activities can hurt the simple values of mediumship whether it be in a Spiritist or Spiritualist setting or in neither. Sadly calling them out seems to do little harm to the frauds or to restrict their activities for long. It was tried - without success - a couple of years back in connection with the fraud surrounding alleged physical mediumship - what's the saying about no such thing as bad publicity?

Nothing came of it then and nothing is likely to come of such attempts in the future I fear......
Old 01-01-2020, 03:43 PM
leadville

Quote:
Once again, I agree with you completely that disincarnate souls are not necessarily "omniscient" and that one "should remain cautious what they use for personal guidance". As you also indicated, the spirits who communicate are often earth-bound and still have some way to go spiritually.

By the way, the Spiritist event last night was cancelled due to the intense security and police cordons around Times Square. The meeting was 2 blocks from Times Square. The police let me through to go to the building where the meetings are held, but the doorman told me that it had been cancelled.

I have been to three meetings there thus far. The people are nice. The teachings are Christian-oriented and somewhat conventional. The Spirits' book generally confirms what I already knew but include some areas that don't really resonate. As you indicated, proceed with caution.

That was a shame about the Spiritist meeting but wholly understandable. When you go on another occasion I'll be pleased to hear what you find although I expect it will be what you found before. No matter and I'd be interested in hearing about their demonstration of mediumship, assuming that's what happens.

I think those of us who understand survival et al are generally likely to be 'in tune' with one another, even when there's a mainstream religion difference of approach such as with the Spiritist and Christian Spiritualist churches.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:47 PM
leadville

Quote:

I didn't mean the so-called earthbound but rather those whose spiritual journeys have some way to go. Those still 'closer in vibration' to the earth dimension's vibrations than to the 'farther', more progressed end of the etheric dimension(s).
Old 02-01-2020, 04:26 PM
Master
Quote:
I'm used to being a lone voice here and elsewhere but it is nice to 'speak' to someone whose approach and whose values mirror my own so closely.

The Roman Catholic religion raises many concerns for me as do other mainstream religions/faiths/beliefs but this forum is for conversations about Spiritualism and is not the place to be considering others religions' many issues.

As for the practitioners who make big bucks from their fraud I agree those charlatans' activities can hurt the simple values of mediumship whether it be in a Spiritist or Spiritualist setting or in neither. Sadly calling them out seems to do little harm to the frauds or to restrict their activities for long. It was tried - without success - a couple of years back in connection with the fraud surrounding alleged physical mediumship - what's the saying about no such thing as bad publicity?

Nothing came of it then and nothing is likely to come of such attempts in the future I fear......

What attracted me to my long-term primary spiritual mentor was her opening words to me. "Question everything, even what I say, and, if a teacher can't point you to the direct experiences, then go elsewhere."

After my Roman Catholic training with no questioning of an "infallible Pope", this was music to my hears. I listen and validate what resonates with me as best as possible, as you also seem to do.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:28 PM
Master
Quote:
That was a shame about the Spiritist meeting but wholly understandable. When you go on another occasion I'll be pleased to hear what you find although I expect it will be what you found before. No matter and I'd be interested in hearing about their demonstration of mediumship, assuming that's what happens.

I think those of us who understand survival et al are generally likely to be 'in tune' with one another, even when there's a mainstream religion difference of approach such as with the Spiritist and Christian Spiritualist churches.

I am planning to go to the Spiritist meeting this evening (Thursday, January 2nd) and will let you know what transpires. One of my friends just lost his grandmother and wants to investigate a Kardec Spiritist group in Boston so I will bring that subject up tonight to "test the waters" (so to speak) with a specific example.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
I didn't mean the so-called earthbound but rather those whose spiritual journeys have some way to go.
Those still 'closer in vibration' to the earth dimension's vibrations than to the 'farther', more progressed end of the etheric dimension(s).
Yes. The ones that communicate to me are regular ole people as they were here...
not very 'advanced' ---so they are still interested in checking in on
me or helping me when I can be really stuck on something...
infusing me with profound understanding.
The advanced ones (ha, one) have the wisdom to know all will be fine with me and their
attention is on the Father.
..as it was in life here.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 02-01-2020, 09:10 PM
leadville

Quote:
What attracted me to my long-term primary spiritual mentor was her opening words to me. "Question everything, even what I say, and, if a teacher can't point you to the direct experiences, then go elsewhere."

After my Roman Catholic training with no questioning of an "infallible Pope", this was music to my hears. I listen and validate what resonates with me as best as possible, as you also seem to do.

I had always been told "Spirit loves an enquiring mind." before I later found Silver Birch advocating (something like) we should not accept anything that offends our reason.

In practice it means I question everything that doesn't ring true, question everything I need better explanations about and I reject anything that doesn't sit comfortably - no matter who has said it.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:11 PM
leadville

Quote:
I am planning to go to the Spiritist meeting this evening (Thursday, January 2nd) and will let you know what transpires. One of my friends just lost his grandmother and wants to investigate a Kardec Spiritist group in Boston so I will bring that subject up tonight to "test the waters" (so to speak) with a specific example.

good job! I shall look forward to hearing from you about what happens.