Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 02-05-2020, 10:38 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
Who or what does Traditional Advaita think engage in practice to "achieve enlightenment"?

Perhaps a better way to understand is a lucid dream. Before attaining lucidity I believe I'm my avatar in the dream. I identify with the unreal dream body. Attaining lucidity removes that ignorance in a flash of realization that I'm not the avatar in the dream but the dreamer.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:39 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Perhaps a better way to understand is a lucid dream. Before attaining lucidity I believe I'm my avatar in the dream. I identify with the unreal dream body. Attaining lucidity removes that ignorance in a flash of realization that I'm not the avatar in the dream but the dreamer.

Who or what is doing the reflecting in that post?
Old 03-05-2020, 11:22 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Who or what is doing the reflecting in that post?

This question applies to Advaita Vedanta, Neo-Advaita and Neo-Vedanta.

Is it the mind or the mind of the mind or both? More importantly are they really two or One?
Old 03-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Master

Quote:
This question applies to Advaita Vedanta, Neo-Advaita and Neo-Vedanta.

Is it the mind or the mind of the mind or both? More importantly are they really two or One?

Yes the mind of an individual who Traditional Advaita suggest can "achieve enlightenment" through practise.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:57 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Yes the mind of an individual who Traditional Advaita suggest can "achieve enlightenment" through practise.

It's exactly same as it is in Neo-Advaita. No difference whatsoever. As I've said several times, there's absolutely no difference in philosophy between Advaita Vedanta, Neo-Advaita and Neo-Vedanta. The differences are in what's required for realization. It's a question of methods and techniques and not philosophy.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Master

Quote:
It's exactly same as it is in Neo-Advaita. No difference whatsoever. As I've said several times, there's absolutely no difference in philosophy between Advaita Vedanta, Neo-Advaita and Neo-Vedanta. The differences are in what's required for realization. It's a question of methods and techniques and not philosophy.

There can be no realization by what is believed to be a separate person, if there are no separate persons according to Neo Advaita.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:21 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
There can be no realization by what is believed to be a separate person, if there are no separate persons according to Neo Advaita.

As I said, same goal, different method.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Advaita#Teachings

"The basic practice of neo-Advaita is self-inquiry, via the question "Who am I?", or simply the direct recognition of the non-existence of the "I" or "ego." This recognition is taken to be equal to the Advaita Vedanta recognition of the identity of Atman and Brahman, or the recognition of the "Formless Self." According to neo-Advaitins, no preparatory practice is necessary, nor prolonged study of religious scriptures or tradition: insight alone suffices."

So I ask you, from a Neo-Advaitin perspective who is asking "Who am I?"? How is that any different than the more traditional practices followed by an Advaita Vedantin?

If the Neo-Advaitin is not deluded into believing s/he is a separate person there's no need to ask the question in the first place. S/he already has the answer and the question has no relevance.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:00 AM
Master

Quote:
As I said, same goal, different method.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Advaita#Teachings

"The basic practice of neo-Advaita is self-inquiry, via the question "Who am I?", or simply the direct recognition of the non-existence of the "I" or "ego." This recognition is taken to be equal to the Advaita Vedanta recognition of the identity of Atman and Brahman, or the recognition of the "Formless Self." According to neo-Advaitins, no preparatory practice is necessary, nor prolonged study of religious scriptures or tradition: insight alone suffices."

So I ask you, from a Neo-Advaitin perspective who is asking "Who am I?"? How is that any different than the more traditional practices followed by an Advaita Vedantin?

If the Neo-Advaitin is not deluded into believing s/he is a separate person there's no need to ask the question in the first place. S/he already has the answer and the question has no relevance.

There is no method/practice involved in hearing and resonating with the message that Oneness is the only reality and that all is already Oneness including what is believed to be oneself. It does not matter if its a resonance by the mind with a concept or idea. Its the resonance that matters, and that produces the realization. It either happens or it doesnt. This is the Neo Advaita message.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:16 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
There is no method/practice involved in hearing and resonating with the message that Oneness is the only reality and that all is already Oneness including what is believed to be oneself. It does not matter if its a resonance by the mind with a concept or idea. Its the resonance that matters, and that produces the realization. It either happens or it doesnt. This is the Neo Advaita message.

So who hears the Neo-Advaita message prior to realization?

You don't understand Advaita Vedanta because it too has the exact same message at its core. It just realizes spontaneous enlightenment is massively unlikely, hence the need for study and practice to remove ignorance and reveal one's true nature.

EDIT: Asking one's self "Who am I?" is a method/practice, albeit an abbreviated method/practice with the intent to transition from unrealized to realized. From a conscious state of duality to one of non-duality. From identifying with the many to the One.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 04-05-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Master

Quote:
So who hears the Neo-Advaita message prior to realization?

You don't understand Advaita Vedanta because it too has the exact same message at its core. It just realizes spontaneous enlightenment is massively unlikely, hence the need for study and practice to remove ignorance and reveal one's true nature.

EDIT: Asking one's self "Who am I?" is a method/practice, albeit an abbreviated method/practice with the intent to transition from unrealized to realized. From a conscious state of duality to one of non-duality. From identifying with the many to the One.

There is no point repeatng. Our points have been made and understood. Be well.