Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 31-03-2022, 09:38 PM
Master
Awareness doesn't change? How?

So I heard swami (thanks for recommending him btw) in virtual meeting with rupert spira, somewhere half of first hour, say this, and mention that even in the past nondualists avoided the idea of mentioning changes in awareness, because like me, people would then point out, the duality of that, vibrationality. And I love that this happened in history, because that means my objection to awareness is not new. And it is not a new paradox. So hopefully it has an answer.
Swami mentioned this after rupert mentioned changes in awareness. But didnt go deeper into it.

Any of you guys know how maybe?

If awareness is absolute, then it must be unchanging. But how is it unchanging if everything one can be aware of, changes?

How does one realise this unchanging awareness? And is it even appropriate to say "realise" if that implies "not already realised"?
Old 31-03-2022, 09:54 PM
Master

i think, it isn't so much about unchanging awareness, it is about how long one can stay aware. The feeling that it changes being more of a roller-coaster ride in and out of being aware than anything else.

For long periods I identify with things deeply (mostly with my own thoughts) and don't much notice what is going on (I call this sleeping), then something jolts me and I become awake and more connected to things and awareness stabilizes for a little bit, I even remember I'm being aware, then after a bit I drift back into sleep and start identifying again and things feel off.

Awareness does seem more stable, those times I'm able to pay attention to what is happening in and around me...

That is the way it seems to me, anyway.
Old 31-03-2022, 09:59 PM
JustASimpleGuy

A shaky camera takes blurry pictures.

Pick something, anything. Is it conscious of you or are you conscious of it?

Hold a hand out in front of your face. Is it conscious of you or are you conscious of it?

Think a thought. 2+2=4. Is 2+2=4 conscious of you or are you conscious of 2+2=4?

Is 2+2=4 conscious of "I am hungry"? The other way around? Is mind really conscious?

Mind changes, not That which is aware of mind. It (Awareness) is the screen the movie is projected on, and the screen doesn't change whether the movie is being projected or not.

You're not going to get any closer than analogy using intellect and language. That's going to require realizing what's already there and there are tools to help with that, meditation and Self-inquiry being two of them. Oh, and talks like the one you watched. I assume it's the Buddha at the Gas Pump Rupert Spira and Swami Sarvapriyananda video.
Old 31-03-2022, 11:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
A...
... video.
yeah that was the video. And then they spoke about a 500 year long dispute between which is more important, relative truth or absolute truth.

So I seem to have the ability to change my awareness. I can be aware of this or that. I can be aware of awareness.

DO YOU, experience awareness as unchanging, when you become aware of it?

To me it feels like a peaceful presence that may not be changing, but I haven't consistently experienced it yet. What do you experience?
Old 31-03-2022, 11:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
i think, it...
... , anyway.
Thanks for sharing, I experience similar things like you as does most of humanity. But I do wish to explore the possibility of awareness being truely non dualistic and unchanging thus.

Maybe the changes of the quality of our awareness we can also be aware of.... Meaning, we are aware of the changes of our awareness. And then put it in a category and just look it and say "thats not me..." and then maybe what is left is an unchanging awareness observing changing awareness? hahaaha I dunno Thats right right?
Old 31-03-2022, 11:34 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
So I seem to have the ability to change my awareness.

DO YOU, experience awareness as unchanging, when you become aware of it?
I think you're confusing awareness and mind. Mind states change and awareness is aware of the change. From the Advaita perspective we can only be aware of objects and awareness is the subject. Awareness is "known" by the simple fact we are aware and that's the only way it can be "known". The eye cannot see itself but it's existence is self-evident by the very fact it sees.

You are not conscious. https://youtu.be/YhYKqblybXs?t=4241

That's ego (Ahamkara, the I-maker) appropriating Consciousness as its own. Disguising the Extraordinary as the ordinary.

Okay, here's the shocker and it's pure Advaita. Mind is not independently sentient. That sentience is an illumination by Consciousness. And yes, I'm using Awareness and Consciousness interchangeable. No difference.

Neuroscience takes the position consciousness and free will are illusions too. It's all deterministic at the micro level giving illusion at the macro level.

EDIT: You are not conscious. You are Consciousness Itself.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I think y...
... Itself.
Hmmm, right now I am aware of pain/discomfort. Its fluctuating but its there. It changes so im not it.
Then I experience a seperate entity which is mind. Seems unrelated to the physical discomfort. I see dotted stripes changing polarity in contrast. in mind. My mind changed from dotted stripes to rotating scales. So mind changes too. I am not the mind.
Now there is nothing left. I am aware of nothing. Oh oops I am aware of images.
Then I remembered intellect as next level. And I dozed off and suddenly realised the absurdity of rotating scales... And then I laughed! Haha duality good and bad, what is good and what is bad if the scales rotate? ahahahahahaa!

Ok so I didnt know that imagination comes from intellect, what they call intellect.

But now I must realise I am even beyond this intellect when I am not even able to realise intellect up untill now, accidentally.

Can you experiece intellect all the time and does it come from the unchanging awareness? And do you perceive intellect to be the abstract non-pysical source of imagination? And is God the source of that nonphysical intellect? Or is that just soul, reflecting into intellect which then becomes imagination then physical. Like that?
Old 01-04-2022, 03:36 AM
Master
What caused me to accidentally experience the intellect?
Intellect, a good unifying idea of greater allowed realisation. An allower of expansion of knowledge.

To realise unchanging awareness I need to atleast be stable in intellect.
But it seems difficult. I got the image of an arrow with dotted line through it. Below orange above white.

I see two white robots now shaking hands and expressing love through their helmetscreen.

Why dont I get it this time? I dozed off last time and when I woke from my dozing I suddenly abruptly REALISED the communication from the intellect into imagination. What was actually being relayed or communicated. But this time, I feel like ok, it should be funny and fun to realise this like last time maybe. Two robots shaking hands is kind of funny.

OH I GET IT. They are not awareness, yet capable of love! Because they borrow awareness from us? Maybe that was the above first statement on this post.

But how can I experience God or non changing awareness if I can yet only barely gather intellect from imagination? <---- Intellect give me a vision/intellect on this please.

I see the atmosphere of the planet and it lights up light blue and different colors smaller in thickness above that, yellow red purple etc. Surrounded by darkeness.
... Now I see endless arrays of glazed cupcakes hanging upside down.
Now I see a wallpaper of a person painting a wall white, being ripped off and chewed into the mouth. The person thinks it's dirty....

I am so tired. I give up at the level of intellect. For now. Tricky that one. Hope to realise it later. This is mindblowingly complex. I somehow noticed the obviousness of the rotating scales and how it relates to the subject at hand.
But cupcakes that are upside down? How is this gonna help me realise God?

shades of atmospheric light - - - > upside down cupcakes - - - > wall painter painting wall painter.
If I dozed off to realise the first one, I probably need a whole nights of sleep to realise this one......

Before I sleep:
Maybe painter refers to: Duplicating self awareness?
Atmosphere is maybe: A progression/extension of frequency?
I dont get the cupcakes. Makes no freaking sense. I seriously need to doze of for years to abruptly realise this one as if out of the blue...
lol just realised the blue atmosphere in what I just said. Out of the blue. The cupcakes tho... What on Gods planet has upside down cupcakes got anything to do with anything...
OH THE NON RELATIVE!
At this pace I may never go to sleep. lol...
Old 01-04-2022, 06:28 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Perhaps this will shed some light on the topic?

The Essence of All Vedanta by Swami Sarvapriyananda https://youtu.be/ykcdg0Vd3I4?list=PL...F2rGcUqIb4O F
Old 02-04-2022, 12:14 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
Maybe the changes of the quality of our awareness we can also be aware of.... Meaning, we are aware of the changes of our awareness. And then put it in a category and just look it and say "thats not me..." and then maybe what is left is an unchanging awareness observing changing awareness? hahaaha I dunno Thats right right?
hehehe!

i dunno when I get there there seem to be SOMETHING observing something else. But I've grown tired of trying to fence it in... because I've found I can make fences any way I want but I feel like I will never get them put in exactly the right place. Meanwhile there is still the something observing something else when I want to go there and at least when I'm there that seems more compelling than trying to build fences to trade with others!